mercules

Hive System - People are already server hopping

I knew it would happen because it is a hive, but it is already hitting the annoying stage. I know the combat logging system is broke right now but this isn't even combat logging, this is hopping to the lowest population server where loot spawns and snatching it quick then hopping to the next server. 

Anecdotal evidence! Yes, only my experiences but three so far.

I finally make it to NEAF. I have a Mosin but I also have several clips for an M4 and I am hoping to find accessories for one or the other. I do find an M4A1 and so ditch the Mosin as I have a ton of ammo for the M4. I also find a pistol and a clip for it. Things are looking up. I hit the new buildings and find a pristine fire axe. I am in heavy now when I hear the sound of reloading from the hallway. Now I had gotten into the habit of closing doors so I am hoping he doesn't suspect me being in there. I pull out my gun, cover the door, it flies open and he ducks to the side as I fire. He is wearing a ballistic vest and helmet so my shots hurt him but didn't kill him. He slips back around the door just far enough to return fire. I fire at him again but a close range M4 fight of about 10m with one guy in armor and the other wearing a raincoat.

So there was no one in the building and you make a reloading sound when you log in with a gun. There were no footsteps. He logged in on the second floor. Now it could be he logged off there when he last played buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut.... somehow I don't think that was the case. He was heavily geared up from the brief time I saw him.

So... fine. I respawn and end up in Cherno. Some of it is picked clean, like all the big buildings, but there still happens to be all the little stores and small homes full of goodies which I gather up. I've got food and drink, backpack, can opener, and I head out. I come across a pile of bodies from a firefight in the firehall(I figured what the heck). M4 two clips no bullets, pistol, holster... no wait tactical vest. Some of it is damaged. Not a single bullet. 

No big deal, I get out of Cherno with that. I don't bother to hit Ballota but head North. I hit Zub and move toward Green Mountain. I figure maybe someone missed 5 rounds or something or I'll get lucky. Sure enough I get there and the place is pretty picked over. However I get a larger backpack, pristine pants of the same sort, and I swap the damaged M4 for one that isn't damaged hiding under the bed. I start to run away from Green mountain satisfied that I at least got something out of it when I get the "No message received." 

Sure enough the server restarts. I realize I can spin around and maybe get some ammo. I move back in and grab some medical stuff then I hear a gun reloading. Remember, there was no one in there less than 5 minutes ago. I have a mosin in my hands because I had some ammo and ran across one and so I've been dropping and picking it up for two towns. I put a shot into the guy as he opens fire and duck around the corner while I reload. I put a second into him and he backs up the stairs to hide. I slide up the stairs and fire as he vanishes. Combat logger. Damn it. 

Well, he managed to grab all but a 10 shot mag that I grab and quickly load into my M4 right as I hear the reloading sound from the hallway. Second guy spawning into the newly rebooted server and he sees the door open so comes in spraying bullets. I return my 10 shots then pull my axe and hack him twice while he dumps rounds into me and then I'm dead. 

Well at least I'm near Ballota and the server just reset I might as well go for it. I run for it. I decide I'll just hit the airtraffic tower and hangers and get out. I get into the tower, no weapon on me, get up to the top and WATCH a guy spawn in with the reloading sound playing in my ears. I ran, it didn't matter. 

I don't know what the answer is. Locking people from logging in for 10 minutes when they switch servers seems like it will only annoy the honest guys, the others will simply do something else for 10 minutes then log into the least populous server that has likely restarted. Why? because 10 minutes is still shorter than running to yet another military loot spawn. 

It is really annoying when I survey and area, make sure there is no human activity. Clear Zombies. Start to go through buildings and some guy spawns in right there on top of me basically negating all the precautions I took.

Edited by Mercules
  • Like 8

WTF did you expect from people using gamma hack, crosshairs, 3rd person and start loadout to do?

Well, there are only a few people who can make a change.

And they will most likely do it soon! (Rocket time)

Edited by voddler

Do you really expect him forcing every server to it's own database? That would be him biting his own ass. Because that's the only way to prevent people from logging and hopping and what happened to mercules.

Yeah whats with this crap? Had a guy pop up behind me and i fire into him A few times he runs up stairs, Goes into the room closes the door on me than some how pops up behind me and starts hitting me with his axe and he skids around me into the wall and  around to the other side and manages to kill me. Just wtf is that shit?

Server hopping

And the morphing into walls and coming out the other side?

A timeout is all that's needed. Didn't rocket mention that the 30 seconds timout joining a different servers would start stacking and then you'd have a very long time if you kept on doing it?

Most of them are stupid enough to log into the place they're looting, usualy a high traffic building.

Until private servers come, nothing can and should be done about it. It's like when the mod came out, server hoppers cannot be avoided.

As soon as we got Private hives the problem will be fixed, I just hope that the admin customization will be limited, since admin abuse was the plague that came after server hoppers and hackers in the mod

There are merits to both Hive and Private servers.

Private Servers solve the server hopping issue, but they also shut down with no warning and typically turn into, "Hey I spawned a bunch of stuff for all my friends but I decided that wasn't fair. If you donate I can start you out with a gun too." There are exceptions, but the vast majority of private servers end up that way. If I wanted everyone spawning with guns and running to shoot the nearest person I'd go back to playing Battlefield/COD/Unreal/Quake.

• Like 1

Okay... Now that I have had about an hour's worth of sleep and am at work and more or less cognizant again it occurred to me the exact reason why people are logging out in the buildings then logging into other servers... 

It is the Loot Spawn system. See in the Mod if you are right there where the items might spawn and no one else has been to the area there is no loot. You have to hang out in the general area and not be standing on top of it to get loot. This means people might server hop by running away from the area then logging out and into another server and then running through all the buildings. Instead you hop onto a server and you don't have to worry about zombies unless they are practically standing against the building wall. You can also see at a glance if there is loot in that room and with a few short steps often check a second area as well. 

So places like Green Mountain where there are multiple good spawns on the second floor and few more below you log in and see if the loot looks undisturbed and if so you run through the building quick then log out. Next server, oh nothing in this room so probably empty, next server, Oh a few things, but there is a crappy backpack and a shovel so someone has taken some things, next server. No loot disturbed, loot this place quick, next server. 

This would be why I almost never ran into the issue of them logging in practically on top of me in the building on the Mod public hives but it happened to me 4 times last night in the SA. 

• Like 2

well another problem is that the loot doesn't respawn. I have to be honest, I don't run around in three different cities to find a rotten banana. If I see, that all the doors in a town have been opened, all zombies are gone and there is no loot, I switch server.

Yes people are obviously gonna server hop at the moment ....the servers seem to only respawn loot after server restarts so if your in a servers that has no or very minimal loot left them people will change server.

Edited by Massicor

Do you really expect him forcing every server to it's own database? That would be him biting his own ass. Because that's the only way to prevent people from logging and hopping and what happened to mercules.

They actually have a pretty good solution for private servers planned. Basically a little data instance just for that server. This gives the best of both having a database and having a private community, without those private communities affecting the main database. There are also some plans for server hopping on the hive.

• Like 5

they could just add like a 5 min timer...most times when i log out to switch servers i take a small break anyway...but i know other people switch like crazy to loot one room or building.

this is exactly why the loot only spawns at server start system is NOT going to work..

first off its completly stupid, secondly its going to get "gamed" mercilessly...

even with a penalty of server hopping people will still do it.. cuz its still gunna faster then actualy searching for loot the old fashioned way... you know actualy going from place to place..

everytime i think of the fact that Dean's thought of loot only at server restarts, i just /facepalm...

ps i server hop like a mofo atm to... looking for a godam daylite server, hahaha....

Edited by Siberian
  • Like 3

They actually have a pretty good solution for private servers planned. Basically a little data instance just for that server. This gives the best of both having a database and having a private community, without those private communities affecting the main database. There are also some plans for server hopping on the hive.

Excellent to hear. I am a fan of the hive because I like the redundancy and I really hate when I play on a Private Server and get set up, maybe even know some of the regulars, and then the owner shuts it down with no warning. I would play on a private server as long as it was not allowed to mod the SA and the admin's powers were limited. I'm playing on a few private servers in the mod but again I like the redundancy of having other servers out there. 

they could just add like a 5 min timer...most times when i log out to switch servers i take a small break anyway...but i know other people switch like crazy to loot one room or building.

How long does it take to run from any one military spawn point to another other than a firehouse? It takes a lot longer than 5 minutes. Siberian and I have some different ideas on other things but I have to agree with him on this one, the server start loot is not working since people watch for the server restarts and then log into that server right on top of the loot. That is probably why my last run through Cherno had me find 5 bodies in the firehall all with various damaged guns and other damaged decent gear but no ammo. 

This is one of the reasons loot and zombie respawning should be very near the top of the dev list. Like you say with no loot respawn people can server hop inside buildings and know instantly wether its been visited or not. And a big yes to private hives (see my post in "server owners get nothing")

Nice to hear about those plans for private. Should give us the best of both worlds, private hive, but keeping it vanilla :)

• Like 1

This is what I am waiting for.

Personally I am not going to even bother with Balota Airfield, people are server hopping in that area like crazy.

* Some spawn on the roof of the ATC

* Some spawn on small green guard towers to scout the area in 3rd person while having a decent amount of cover.

Yeah... I personally can't wait for the private / isolated servers.

* I've hated the hive system since DayZ was first introduced.

• Like 1

Lets say there is a dragged out engagement at devils castle.

* You could easily server hop and flank around the enemy, the five minute timer is nothing versus the potential gear that you might get in killing the enemy.

Hello there

One has to remember anything that affected the mod will have been discussed and thought about.

It may not be implemented in the retail version yet but one can rest assured there are plans afoot.

Rgds

LoK

this is exactly why the loot only spawns at server start system is NOT going to work..

first off its completly stupid, secondly its going to get "gamed" mercilessly...

even with a penalty of server hopping people will still do it.. cuz its still gunna faster then actualy searching for loot the old fashioned way... you know actualy going from place to place..

everytime i think of the fact that Dean's thought of loot only at server restarts, i just /facepalm...

ps i server hop like a mofo atm to... looking for a godam daylite server, hahaha....

The current loot and zombie spawn mechanic is not the final product nor was it ever the intended final product. It is a placeholder as they work on a better loot/zombie spawning system. If I thought this was his end goal I would be pissed too, but since it is not and only represents one of many placeholders during the early access I can live with it until it is replaced. 

IMO there isn't much in the game that server hopping will highly benefit players - they cannot even store that gear for later use.  Oh cool, this little punk has a full load out and obviously will eventually die, let's be happy he cannot simply go to his tent in the middle of barrens up North and has to risk his little life to get another decent load out.

By the time the storage units roll out, I believe something to fight this (at least to some extent) will be implemented because that's when I would get annoyed.  Let the children hop around and get what they want, they aren't enjoying the game like it's supposed to and don't worry about them.

Once private servers become established it won't be hard for you to find one where a mature crowd plays and events like that are rare - this is an Alpha too (had to)....... 

What are said plans SmashT? We are all alpha testing, plans to tweak thing should be made public.

They have

Edited by SmashT