Sign in to follow this  
*Exile* Sami

READ THIS - The truth on the hunger/thirst issue

So as everyone is aware that people are hating the Hunger and thirst issue, and on Reddit a man named Nauramir made a great post explaining it, im quoting his exact words

"After all the complains about hunger/thirst warnings, i have been testing it and came to interesting results.

Following is not confirmed information, just my understanding of how this system works.

• Players spawn relatively hungry and thirsty. For example, lets say players start at 30% food/drink.

• First warning message pops when your food or drink level drops to ~20%.

• Most important one! That green message saying "your thirst/hunger is quenched", shows when players food/drink level gets just above critical value. So when you get this message, in reality, you are only on ~25% of your total "stomach capacity".

• If you keep drinking and eating after you get the "your thirst/hunger is quenched" message, you can still consume a lot, until you get another green message "Your stomach is full", "You feel well-fed" or similiar. That means you are at 100% of food capacity and you start to regenerate blood/heal.Once you reach this, you also have a LOT of time when you dont have to deal with food/drink and no messages pop up for at least 1,5 hours.

So, what conclusion this leads to?

Players that experience constant message spam never really eat or drink to full. They just hover between 20-30%, never actually begin regenerating and end up falling unconscious for no apparent reason."

Heres a link to the actual post: http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1t4l5f/is_current_hungerthirst_model_just_misunderstood/

Edited by *Exile* Sami
  • Like 16

Makes sense.

Makes me feel less bad about eating every fresh fruit, box of cereal, and can of sardines I found on my way through Chernogorsk today. Damn if I'm going to let other players eat. >.> Oh, and I rip all the clothing I find into bandages. :)

• Like 6

Wow, this happened to me last night (well-fed) and I thought it was a bug that I didn't have any hungry/thirsty messages for like 3 hours after it.  Great catch!

that means u really must eat and drink whatever u find during ur journey,then u barely reach that status.

• Like 1

that means u really must eat and drink whatever u find during ur journey,then u barely reach that status.

Not really, if you just stock food you will easily get more than enough food, LEAVE NO FOOD BEHIND!

Interesting!  Good to know.  I just logged out but I think I will log back into fix this!!

Thanks Reddit  :lol:

I had some trouble with thirst and hunger at first day, but now its starting to feel easy to manage. When we get more character status info to the inventory screen, after that we might get less post's about these problems.

Also game feels a lot different than mod, which is a good thing and i hope surviving stays challenging.

Very interesting. My grievance with it is that the system is no longer adequately intuitive. That's what a lot of people are hinging on I feel. I'm quite sure it'll be improved though.

The whole deal requires a lot of food/drink though, regardless of where you start off. I mean, a can of sardines and a bottle of water would probably be a full meal in a survival situation. Granted, you'd probably require a lot of calories either way.

My issue is also that it's not on a reasonable schedule. It's just keep eating. It's not on a 24 hour (or simulated 24 hour scale). It would justify relatively rare edibles if the hunger/thirst cycle was more gradual. Nor is it dependent on how much energy you're actually expending.

Edited by Katana67

Very interesting. My grievance with it is that the system is no longer adequately intuitive. That's what a lot of people are hinging on I feel. I'm quite sure it'll be improved though.

The whole deal requires a lot of food/drink though, regardless of where you start off. I mean, a can of sardines and a bottle of water would probably be a full meal in a survival situation. Granted, you'd probably require a lot of calories either way.

My issue is also that it's not on a reasonable schedule. It's just keep eating. It's not on a 24 hour (or simulated 24 hour scale). It would justify relatively rare edibles if the hunger/thirst cycle was more gradual. Nor is it dependent on how much energy you're actually expending.

It does require more than you would imagine, hopefully fixed soon.

how much do you have to eat to be 'full'? I drank about 2 bottles of water and was well quenched.. but i must have eaten 2 bits of fruit, a full can of beans, a full can of tuna, some cereal and im still not full

Edited by mmmsoad

I dunno I can eat/drink, I get green text and then it says I'm hungry/thirsty 2 mins later.

Getting really annoying for me now though. 

I dunno I can eat/drink, I get green text and then it says I'm hungry/thirsty 2 mins later.

Getting really annoying for me now though. 

Make sure you are not just getting the one that says your satisified, thats only barely above 25%, you need to eat more.

I've eaten a bag of rice 100%, cereal 100%, tuna 75%, can of beans 100% and some fruits all in a row (to make space) and I didn't get the full stomach. If you ate all that in real life you'd explode O_O

I'll just say this:

We should begin the game fully quenched and full.

I hope Dean and the team make this change.

I disagree. When a player spawns, they should be relatively hungry and relatively thirsty, not completely full and completely quenched. Spawning with hunger and thirst places food and drink at the top of the player's priority, not finding a weapon of some sort to kill other players with. It places a lot more emphasis on surviving environmental factors, as opposed to surviving against other players. It also means that you can't mindlessly run around while searching for supplies after spawning for the first time - you have to plan your journey based on where you spawned.

• Like 3

So as everyone is aware that people are hating the Hunger and thirst issue, and on Reddit a man named Nauramir made a great post explaining it, im quoting his exact words

"After all the complains about hunger/thirst warnings, i have been testing it and came to interesting results.

Following is not confirmed information, just my understanding of how this system works.

• Players spawn relatively hungry and thirsty. For example, lets say players start at 30% food/drink.

• First warning message pops when your food or drink level drops to ~20%.

• Most important one! That green message saying "your thirst/hunger is quenched", shows when players food/drink level gets just above critical value. So when you get this message, in reality, you are only on ~25% of your total "stomach capacity".

• If you keep drinking and eating after you get the "your thirst/hunger is quenched" message, you can still consume a lot, until you get another green message "Your stomach is full", "You feel well-fed" or similiar. That means you are at 100% of food capacity and you start to regenerate blood/heal.Once you reach this, you also have a LOT of time when you dont have to deal with food/drink and no messages pop up for at least 1,5 hours.

So, what conclusion this leads to?

Players that experience constant message spam never really eat or drink to full. They just hover between 20-30%, never actually begin regenerating and end up falling unconscious for no apparent reason."

Heres a link to the actual post: http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1t4l5f/is_current_hungerthirst_model_just_misunderstood/

Reminds me of Project Zomboid

Holly shitballs, I actually did wonder about something like this.. than I tried eating alot more but nothing got satisfied but I guess I just wasn't eating enough in general...

Everyone's used to DayZ Mod where when you eat or drink once, it fills the entire bar. DayZ is clearly different, it only fills a small portion of your hunger or thirst

Everyone's used to DayZ Mod where when you eat or drink once, it fills the entire bar. DayZ is clearly different, it only fills a small portion of your hunger or thirst

and i honestly like DayZ's version of it, the mod was more than un-realistic.

I ate 10 cans of sardines and 3 tuna and drank from the well till I got the stuffed and overfed message. I was healthy when I logged out. When I logged in 40 minutes later I am greyed out and starving to death what the hell!? This started happening after yesterday's update.

Edited by Arimai

My general tactic is to eat everything I find until I'm "stuffed" and go on to the next city, rinse repeat a few times and your healthy.. Just eat and drink everything you find!! Always stay stuffed!

Getting overfed/stuffed in apocalypse that's a joke.. Eating the huge pack of dry rice, and drinking 20 liters of water every few hours to stay alive... So realistic.

Eating simulator :)