dancros

Transfer of game files between laptop and desktop.

Apologies if this is in the wrong place. Please feel free to move it if it is, but I couldnt find a troubleshooting section for the SA cos im using my phone.

Ok so, my current internet connection is RUBBISH. I cant download at all basically, but it is ok to play online aslong as no one else is using it.

Now, if I was to pop down to my mates place with my laptop and dl DayZ, would I then be able to transfer it to my desktop in order to play?

Cheers :)

Edited by dancros

I'm having a hard time figuring out your exact issue.  Your having net issues and the resolution is to switch to your desktop?  If so all you have to do is move your steam account over to the desktop and install dayz, steam might send you a quick verification email for your account being used on a seperate computer with a code to type in thats about it.  If I am missing something please reply.

Regards,

Steak.

He wants to bring a laptop to his friend who presumably has a better internet connection, install Dayz on the laptop and bring it back home and transfer it to his desktop.

I'm not sure if it's possible. You can always try it out. It's not like anything with explode or get cancer if you try it. :D

Not quite what I mean. Im going to be downloading DayZ on my laptop while at a friends house, then when I get home I want to transfer the game to my gaming desktop. What I wanted to know is whether steam will allow me ti just transfer it from laptop to desktop without any dramas?

I used the same system to dl the updates and dlc for bf4 and I had to change and add things to my windows registry to get them to work which was a pain in the ass

He wants to bring a laptop to his friend who presumably has a better internet connection, install Dayz on the laptop and bring it back home and transfer it to his desktop.

I'm not sure if it's possible. You can always try it out. It's not like anything with explode or get cancer if you try it. :D

Lol yeh pretty much.. ill just give it a go I guess haha

it shouldn't really have a problem as long as the root directory path file is the same. for example C:Programfiles/steam/steamapps/common/dayz for both the laptop and the desktop

just a wild guess though

I do a similiar thing all the time, it does work, just make sure there isn't an update. That happened to me with ArmA III, just get it, and its the same day a 5.3GB update comes out.

I usually use a HDD and my friend puts the game on there, then I just put the game into my 'SteamApps' folder and click install.

I do a similiar thing all the time, it does work, just make sure there isn't an update. That happened to me with ArmA III, just get it, and its the same day a 5.3GB update comes out.

I usually use a HDD and my friend puts the game on there, then I just put the game into my 'SteamApps' folder and click install.

Awesome, cheers bloke.

How often are we getting updates through for the SA at the moment??