rocket

Temporary solution to lack of HUD info

As a temporary solution, text notifiers will appear in your HUD from build 113772 which is in closed test now, then will be pushed to the experimental branch. Only a few servers use this. It will then likely be released to all servers.

PLEASE NOTE: THIS WILL ONLY START HAPPENING FOR NEW EVENTS. YOU WON'T HAVE NOTIFICATIONS FOR EXISTING EVENTS. This means that if you already have a hungry event going on, you will not have a hungry event notifier.

Picture enclosed below of character who is very hungry and a little thirsty:

mdBtfFJ.jpg

• Like 18

Looking good. That should do it for now to figure out what's going wrong and to keep the people happy.

<3

Rocket is there any word as to what might be causing character wipes? I have been trying to replicate it and so far I have found that if you disconnect when you are losing connection it seems to happen 9/10 times.

Should say either Hungry/Thirsty or Hunger/Thirst, not Hunger/Thirsty. /nitpicking

Anyway a great improvement over the current system!

<3

Rocket is there any word as to what might be causing character wipes? I have been trying to replicate it and so far I have found that if you disconnect when you are losing connection it seems to happen 9/10 times.

Could be:

• The game server losing connection to the database (or not being connected at all).
  • A known issue with characters getting overwritten (fixed in the coming build).
  • Aliens (or something else unknown to us now)
  • Like 3

Excellent I think this was needed.  Grats  Alpha launch Rocket, keep up the good work.

<3

Pretty much what's likely to be happening in the mod as well, as the character isn't synced with the database properly - the change is that the SA-servers randomly restart / crash without warning.

I think the entire system is broken. I found a canteen, got water from the pond, used the kit to purify it, drank 4 times until I got the green message. Ate a fresh banana, got the green message. Haven't got the message that I'm tired yet. I walk literally 10 feet and I'm already hungry and thirsty. If it's working as intended, it makes absolutely no sense. 

Weeks ago you specifically stated that the current text system was a complete failure. That was stating the obvious, yet here we are. Scrap it already.

Stop complaining that aggressively already. He's aware of it and it's going to be changed. What else do you want to hear?

I don't have any problems with the current system, when it says you're thirsty or hungry, eat or drink.......

It isn't hard, I just think people are too used to never having to in the mod.

Could be:

• The game server losing connection to the database (or not being connected at all).
  • A known issue with characters getting overwritten (fixed in the coming build).
  • Aliens (or something else unknown to us now)

Thanks for the response. I will wait till the next build and try to replicate it then!

KaeS51b.jpg

Will the update wake up characters who are unconscious?

My character survived two axe weilding bandits and finally got a decent amount of gear only to fall over later due to a throbbing headache.

Sidenote: Really? He got hit with a splitting axe and he's complaining about a headache?

I'm happy with this. Should allow players to have a better understanding of how hungry/thirsty they really are now. :)

Edited by Sputter

Please keep on topic otherwise it's entirely useless.

To me it just seems to be a case of going back to the Icons (albeit different ones). Icons are too 'gamey'.

I think the issue is players don't know if a can of soda will solve the thirst issue. Should it? Does soda hydrate you - maybe short term? Water does, but does dirty water? If you become ill, is it because of the dirty water, or is it because of too much soda?

Maybe a message like: I think I had too much fizzy drink

Also there is no indication of how much food or drink you need.

Anyway, love the game so far Rocket.

p.s Don't let the tears affect the team - keep the day/night as it is, keep the servers public, keep it hard.

Edited by thehet

ok ill bite...

why not just go back to the Mods icon based system, which i think everyone can agree worked perfectly, and was really not intrusive at all..

the text idea clearly isnt working like you thought it would...

I know this might not go down well with everybody but I really would like the old icon system of some sort back. I'm loving the game but miss my green icons.

• Like 1

''For new events'' 

Does that mean that i have to completely fill my character with food and water so he's not either thirsty or hungry. And then it's gonna start showing up for me? Or do i have to make a new character?

And noo, don't bring it back permanently :) I hope next to the text an. your gonna add some sounds aswell :)

Edited by OntyCZE

One of the main reasons Icon's do not work is because the client is no longer readily updated with exactly what is wrong with it. It is only informed what visual states need to change. This is because there is a very complex system of health, and doing this all on the server helps with synchronizing to the database, performance (esp network perf), and reduces the insecurity by having the client calculate this itself.

To enable this temporary solution, I actually had to craft a messaging system to inform the player they were suffering some kind of event. In order to send the client enough information to run old Icon system we would either have to get the client to calculate this themselves (insecure, subject to performance problems, hard to synchronize with the database, unable to handle combat logging, etc...) or stream constant updates to the client.

• Like 3

^ He just made my post redundant. 

Edited by kichilron

Any ETA on public release?

Not meaning to sound offensive but even if it is very broken it will be an improvement over what we have right now IMO.