jBrick

Charging people money to help you "make" a game....

Really?  This is almost unbelievable.  Most companies don't charge people for helping them Beta test... let alone paying money for what standalone currently is.  I really don't see a justification for this other than cashing in on the title now.  Maybe a game developer can come shed light on what the reasoning behind this is as at this point it makes little sense other than abject greed.

• Like 2

Really?  This is almost unbelievable.  Most companies don't charge people for helping them Beta test... let alone paying money for what standalone currently is.  I really don't see a justification for this other than cashing in on the title now.  Maybe a game developer can come shed light on what the reasoning behind this is as at this point it makes little sense other than abject greed.

Yeah, they do. Have you been taking a look at Steam lately?

Almost every game in the Topsellers is in early access / Alpha state.

• Like 20

Besides, you're giving them money. You don't have to. I happily did because I trust Rocket to do the right things.

• Like 16

HAH!

Apparently you haven't kept up with the industry. 

Most games are $60+ right now when finished. You get to play the game in a very early state and help guide it with feedback for $30. Meanwhile this money goes into further development meaning the game maker doesn't have to incur costs then HOPE they can recover them at some vague point in the future. With old school development there was a lot of, "Well it ~HAS~ to ship so scrap that, cut this, and plaster over that whole in the wall and ship it already!" With this things can change and will. 

• Like 3

You are actually getting a discount in the long run, as once you purchase the game you will always be getting the latest build, even when the game is complete and doubles in price.

Having people pay money to opt in for alpha testing is also another way to weed out people who will not be helpful. People who complain about everything, and just get in the way.

There is absolutely nothing to be upset about companies who allow players to pay an introductory price to access software that is being developed.

• Like 3

Why do you care?   It's clearly stated the game is in Alpha.  I'd rather contribute and have a chance to play it during development than wait.  Nobody is forced to buy it.

• Like 1

jbrick what did u expect exactly i havent seen to many bugs at all ( game is very playable )... other then the food/water atm game is fine it was first day of ALPHA TEST!!!!!!!! it says on steam what your getting and at a reduced price non the less... This game was an investment i gave them my 30 bucks becauae i know this is rockets baby and he will do right by it and us.

Edited by IPI xFusion

You are basically paying half price to be able to play the game now in it's buggy state in the hopes that you will submit bug reports for them to fix and so they can test on their end and improve the game.  When the game goes into Beta, it will cost more and when it releases fully it will cost more again.  So you pay a lot less and get the game now instead of later.  How is this unbelievable?  Most companies do exactly this all the time and it works.

Hello there

You are pre ordering to get the game at a lower price, plus you get the option to test it out now and give back feedback if you want.

If you like you can wait until its fully released.

No big issue.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 12

Where have you been past few years? Selling unfinished ALPHA versions is very common, in the end you SAVE money for buying alpha which will be upgraded to full version later on. Same was done with ARMA 3 and it worked beautifully.

Some folks should really wonder why this game is under this special steam cathegory:

Early Access Game Get instant access and start playing; get involved with this game as it develops. 

EDIT: there is so much wrong with your post that I wonder if you are just trolling...

Edited by Hombre

Yeah, they do. Have you been taking a look at Steam lately?

Almost every game in the Topsellers is in early access / Alpha state.

Every game in the top sellers is awful by old standards.

Read the everything you need to know that rocket posted. The resons for a paid for alpha are...

1, Makes the project financially viable

2, People who participate have made a financial commitment

3, Limits the ammout of people who participate to those willing to part with there hard earned cash

This is completely fair. A free alpha would lead to snap reviews by every tom dick and harry. People would join the free alpha not understanding it fully and think it was a finished product. If they have to pay they will do research first and make a more informed decision.

Also you have to remember if you buy into alpha you will get the full game on relece, so its really a discount on the retail price.....that aint a bad thing at all.

Edit - Also would you not prefer a game where the people playing it have an active input on what features should and should not go in. A game where one of your own ideas could help to shape gameplay. As apposed to the devs ignoring the fanbase....doing only what they want, and creating something that isn't what people wanted.

Edited by Karmaterror

anyone know where to get "beta key" on Dayz. hate when ppl sell them, theyre must b free. aint gonna pay more.

its all about epoch now...dayz will die a slow death

Just don't freaking buy it and wait until the full release

Boom problem solved

Alternately, 

Buy it at $30 and wait until it releases for $60 and you just saved $30 but don't have to play it while buggy. Problem Solved.

Read the everything you need to know that rocket posted. The resons for a paid for alpha are...

1, Makes the project financially viable

2, People who participate have made a financial commitment

3, Limits the ammout of people who participate to those willing to part with there hard earned cash

This is completely fair. A free alpha would lead to snap reviews by every tom dick and harry. People would join the free alpha not understanding it fully and think it was a finished product.

Also you have to remember if you buy into alpha you will get the full game on relece, so its really a discount on the retail price.....that aint a bad thing at all.

This is my last post on this topic because I don't see this being productive.  What reason could you POSSIBLY have for waiting two years to release a game and then releasing a paid for alpha in this manner?  HONESTLY?  "The game will come out when its ready... not before"... are you telling me this game is ready?  Because according to Steam DayZ is Here! 

And as for people saying all companies are charging for Alpha and pre-release.. OHHHH really?  Pixel Piracy and a game supported by Bohemia are the same thing right?  Give your head a shake.

its all about epoch now...dayz will die a slow death

I play Epoch frequently... and laugh at your statement. 

• Like 1

Alternately, 

Buy it at $30 and wait until it releases for $60 and you just saved $30 but don't have to play it while buggy. Problem Solved.

60.00 - 30.00 = 30.00

>saved 30 dollars

wut?

• Like 2

This is my last post on this topic because I don't see this being productive.  What reason could you POSSIBLY have for waiting two years to release a game and then releasing a paid for alpha in this manner?  HONESTLY?  "The game will come out when its ready... not before"... are you telling me this game is ready?  Because according to Steam DayZ is Here! 

And as for people saying all companies are charging for Alpha and pre-release.. OHHHH really?  Pixel Piracy and a game supported by Bohemia are the same thing right?  Give your head a shake.

You mean 1 year, right? Because the SA started in production a year ago. Most major games take 2-3 years minimum to develop. 

You need to go back and read the little message that pops up every time you log into the game. If you don't want to play it, don't. Really simple solution.

LOL dude....i gather from your post that you are a professional game developer, making a huge game on your own with limited help, and you know more about game development than anyone else.  

maybe you should offer your assistance to Rocket, and then maybe they can get this game off the ground....

oh nevermind.......youre just another typical forum goer, crying over a game.  also, $30 for an actual alpha test is a great deal imo.  i paid over $100 for the battlefield 4 alpha that is going on right now.

Edited by jimlaheysadrunk

60.00 - 30.00 = 30.00

>saved 30 dollars

wut?

I think he thinks he's purchased the final game with his purchase of Alpha not realizing he has just purchased the right to play the pre-release and still has to buy the game.

60.00 - 30.00 = 30.00

>saved 30 dollars

wut?

Many games have a Pre-Order special. If the OP decided to buy the game while it was $30 and never play it but treat it as a "Pre-Order" then only play once it "released" then he would probably be saving $30 as it will likely be $60 at actual release. 

I think he thinks he's purchased the final game with his purchase of Alpha not realizing he has just purchased the right to play the pre-release and still has to buy the game.

Because I have bought the final game, it's not at that state yet. 

Edited by Mercules