Sign in to follow this  
Strategos (DayZ)

How NOT to pass out.

To me the system burns water and food way too fast and we all know the penalty for failure is way too harsh. But here's how I'm avoiding passing out and it seems to work.

It seems currently that food is tied to your energy level. This means hungry and tired messages mean the same thing.

Running, and presumably being Ill lowers your energy. DON'T sprint, it's ridiculously bad if you sprint. 

Your hydration also lowers through activity but also eating dry rice and powdered milk.

Both of these need to be kept high to stop the messages occurring constantly.

Eating or drinking can often be followed straight away by "im thirsty" because it never took you out of the "thirst message zone"

Fruit and cans of drink raise both your energy and your hydration. 

Once you get messages that say "I am very hungry" or "Im exhausted" Eat ASAP, as much as you can really.

Once you get "my head is pounding" or "I'm very thirsty" drink ASAP.

If you get a red message you have VERY little time to get as much food and / or drink as you can. Ideally stop moving and eat and drink.

Remember rice and powdered milk dehydrate you so if this is your food hydrate first as much as you can.

If you get the levels high enough you regenerate blood.

So when you find food you cant carry , eat it, stock up. Only eat rotten fruit as a last resort as it might make you Ill.

Finally you can bring unconscious people round with saline bags. As far as I can tell nothing else works, not even Epi pens, which I thought were specifically for this, but hey ho.

• Like 4

Good info many thanks. Now if I could only find a more reliable supply of liquids I would be fine :( Can't seem to collect pond water to purify or drink from the water pumps in towns, both of those would make a huge difference. 

There really needs to be a way to get into cans without the can opener. I've been playing (over several lives) for about 5 or 6 hours, and I only found one. You should be able to use a knife (perhaps causing it to take increased damage), or an axe (with a chance to lose some of the food) to get into cans.

And water! There's water everywhere and not a drop to drink. The water pumps have a drink option that doesn't work, and it seems you can't drink from lakes. In the 6 hours I played I didn't find a single canteen or bottle to put water in either. 

I wish that the original icons were back to how they were before. It was alot easier to pay attention to blood/etc with the icons.