LangeName

ESET Smart Security 7 or ESET NOD32 Antivirus 7 is causing low FPS/stutter, this might fix it!

Hi guys,

After a clean Win 8.1 install I was experiencing stutter and low fps.

Since other games ran just fine, I started looking at Arma 2 and Nvidia settings, but to no avail.

After several ingame, config and register tweaks the problem remained, so I started looking at Windows and BIOS, again no solution.

Furthermore my CPU & GPU loads were low.

I came to the conclusion that it had to be 3rd party software, so I did a backup and a clean Win 8.1 install with just nvidia drivers and arma, the game ran fine.

Since my Win8 and Win8.1 software were basicly the same I checked updated software.

When I was using Win8 I used Eset Smart Security 6, after the update I used Eset Smart Security 7.

One of the changes between v6 and v7 was "Advanced memory scanner".

This is also an Eset NOD32 Antivirus 7 update.

After the disabling this, the game ran fine, no more stutter, huge fps boost.

Here's how to disabled it.

Go to "Setup" => "Advanced Setup" => "Computer" => "HIPS" and uncheck "Enable Advanced memory scanner"..

This should be about the same for both Smart Security 7 and NOD32 Antivirus 7.

My reasoning is that Arma differs from other games since it uses .pbo files, like a .zip file it has to be extracted, this happens on the fly and gets stored in the memory.

Since every single thing in memory gets scanned, it causes a huge bottleneck.

I doubt I'm the only one affected by this, so this might help some other people as well.

If it does or doesn't please post a comment.

GreetZ!

Edited by LangeName
  • Like 1

it seems that my freezes were caused by my ZoneAlarm Firewall & Antivir and with firewall off i have not experienced freezes since then.

whole new dayz experience again ;) thanks a lot

Well i must say: You are my hero!!! walking in elektro with 70 fps now so thank you very very much!!!