Sign in to follow this  
The Law (DayZ)

Degrading Backpacks: Stuff Falls Out

Sup...

So I had an idea that went a little something like this. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have received a point that in the SA there will be item degradation. So an idea popped into my head one play through when I was scourging a supermarket for snacks, passing by the abundance of ALICE packs just sitting there. If you think about it, the average well-kitted player in DayZ carries quite a hefty poundage in his/her traveling pack. Now it seems, in my mind, that SA is shooting for precise realism in quite a few aspects that were 'left out' in the mod. So, in all realism, it would make sense that all this weight on these packs would, after quite an extended period, would wear down the pack, maybe loosening some seams or creating thread tussles. My idea is after a while, and I really think it should take quite a lot of traveling, the pack would start to degrade. When it starts degrading, or reaches a certain stability level, it starts dropping items if you sprint, jump, vault, or make any other sudden or long-time movements. Any thoughts on this idea?

• Like 1

You mentioned it yourself: This would take A LOT of time.

I've been using my backpack for 7 years now, and it looks like new.

• Like 3

I love this idea. Also, there will be item degradation from shooting backpacks and clothing, which makes sense. You can't riddle a backpack full of holes and expect it to hold up. It would be nice if a moderately damaged or destroyed backpack would drop items which you could literally see on the ground. Of course you could pick them back up if you see it, but a lot of people might overlook it until they check their pockets again... Perhaps doing things like crouching or going prone, or standing up from prone, or vaulting, could slightly spike the chance of an item being lost, so if you know you have a pretty raggedy pack, you're going to think twice about jumping clear over that fence.

It really wouldn't take a lot of time under serious conditions for a bag to degrade. Backpacks last for a while when they are taken care of. However, imagine you are in a situation where a: zombies are tearing at your clothes and pack all the time. (That should also effect your item condition, and chance of losing items, btw), b: you're probably stuffing the pack with way more than it can bear, as not every backpack is made equal. Some backpacks are very easy to break when they are just woven out of thin nylon with no supporting straps or a frame, for example. Anyone who has ever done serious primitive camping knows that not all backpacks are alike in terms of durability. c: you are probably being shot at or even attacked with melee weapons by other characters constantly. Also, you are walking literally everywhere you go, meaning total time you are applying stress to the straps is a lot more than in your modern, daily life. All of these factors clearly show that hard living will make things break more often.

I'd also like to be able to repair clothes and packs with thread, duct tape, and the like. It would be nice if they could create visual adjustments for player repairs as well, maybe some little decals or a simple texture replacement on the item could reflect the player's general level of modification and repair.

Edited by SalamanderAnder

Mmm.. nah.. Worrying about my backpack degrading.. as well with everything else might just be too much to deal with.. At that point.. I don't think I'd even try to play.. I'd just run around and be the town drunk.

Mmm.. nah.. Worrying about my backpack degrading.. as well with everything else might just be too much to deal with.. At that point.. I don't think I'd even try to play.. I'd just run around and be the town drunk.

That's my thought process also. I don't want to have to worry about degrading packs and reorganizing. So, it takes QUITE a while. And also Ander, I love the idea that bullet holes riddling the pack would sink the quality of the pack. Bravo *claps*

One day i have to be afraid of my feet degrading when i go barefoot because i used up my backpack half full with boots...the other half fell out because it had holes in it.

Maybe i should make me one of these out of leaf springs, i just hope that doesn't degrade too. 4544164.jpg

• Like 1

Why is everyone always trying to throw in more and more realisms that will ultimately cuase additional work and frustration?!

fuck It lets just toss in killer bees, abandoned minefields, sinkholes, earthquakes and active volcanos. Now change the name to DayZ: Whybother

• Like 1

a hole shot by an attacker that hit the pack would cause it to degrade much faster, and zombie hits could be absorbed by your pack, which makes the ugly but large and sheilding chechz pack useful as it could take hits from zombies. That would degrade it of course

• Like 1

Only if whatever falls out makes a large ding! Sound.

It would help you realise you just dropped something.

The only thing I'm worried about is that it seems a new feature to any game, it might confuse any new players.

The ding might also give a player away so its not all good.

And it should only happen when your bag is in its destroyed state.

a hole shot by an attacker that hit the pack would cause it to degrade much faster, and zombie hits could be absorbed by your pack, which makes the ugly but large and sheilding chechz pack useful as it could take hits from zombies. That would degrade it of course

There was no advantage to that large pack, it just stopped you looking behind yourself, was rarer than Alice pack and had less slots, I'd like them to take a lot of melee damage, maybe a little bit of the bullet damage depending on contents.

You guys are aware that gear degradation is happening in the SA, right? It's not like you can avoid it. The reason is to make supplies and gear a real, tangible commodity. It will seriously make you think twice about the pros and cons of wasting bullets on some unarmed noob. It wouldn't really get you any gain, and at the worst it might even be a loss as it will attract zombies and other armed players, which will not only threaten your life but your ever precious gear supply and equipment. I really think zombies should be able to damage your clothes and packs. It would make them an even more serious threat.

Frustration is what makes a game a game. Without a challenge, or an objective, you're just playing with a toy. A game needs environmental challenges for you to play against. That's kind of  the whole point...

Frustration is what makes a game a game. Without a challenge, or an objective, you're just playing with a toy. A game needs environmental challenges for you to play against. That's kind of  the whole point...

No, no... being able to level to end game by memorizing some number crunching and skipping anything that might smack of difficulty or being less loot/xp per minute than some other area/way/tactics or being able to "pwn noobs" is what makes a game a game...

Or wait that is only true post 1999. 

No, no... being able to level to end game by memorizing some number crunching and skipping anything that might smack of difficulty or being less loot/xp per minute than some other area/way/tactics or being able to "pwn noobs" is what makes a game a game...

Or wait that is only true post 1999. 

Um. I don't know... Its simply logic. You have to define what you are looking at. Only fighting each other is a competition. Being able to fight each other combined with a goal or some kind of common objective is what makes it a game.

It's kind of a long vid just skip to 2:30 for the juicy bits.

Edited by SalamanderAnder

It's kind of a long vid just skip to 2:30 for the juicy bits.

According to this, sex with someone using a dildo is a game.

According to this, sex with someone using a dildo is a game.

Why not?

I'd def want to keep that dildo from my backside.

Why not?

I'd def want to keep that dildo from my backside.

Your loss!    :o 

Why is everyone always trying to throw in more and more realisms that will ultimately cuase additional work and frustration?!

fuck It lets just toss in killer bees, abandoned minefields, sinkholes, earthquakes and active volcanos. Now change the name to DayZ: Whybother

Or change it to "The Game of Life" a.k.a. Codename Futility, or "Who pissed in your Cheerios this morning, GrumpyCat?"

Anyway I would find this change a little constraining; the inhuman frequency in which you must eat and drink to balance difficulty with realism means that the amount of food/water you must horde would leave backpacks falling apart in minutes.