Sign in to follow this  
Skat3rat

DayZ Backstory: How the Infection Began

a meteor! i tell you! a meteor, with some alien snot on it!

A Nazi super weapon lost in a submarine the was sunken into a deep abyss.

When thought about this before, I always think of a scenario where powers that be have decided that world is ruined unless theres a major reduction of population. After testing various viruses like SARS, birdflu they find what theyve been looking for, Virus Z..

Hints of this could be some old newspapers that could be found that tell of the outbreaks first phases and analyses that never reach final conclusions, just speculations.

^ The newspapers would be in Russian. And it's highly unlikely that world super powers would do this.

NZ always gets forgotten... :( damn you Australia!

Always they have Australia there on those cartoony maps, but never NZ > :(

Republic of Ireland always gets forgotten too :(. On some o' thouse maps we're just a little dot. And in a game I have on my Tablet called Plague.Inc we're classed as part of the UK. Even though there's still the border line bewteen the Republic and NI. 

No matter how many times I read a story about a zombie outbreak origin, I can't help but think there is a better than "extreme hunger and desire for meat".  It just seems like a Hollywood cop out to me.  And I'm sure we can think of a better way...I would say even leaving out that part would be fine.  Fits of rage could still cover the consumption of human remains as an outcome of rage in an extreme form.

What if there was some satirical or silly background to contrast against the harsh world? Maybe if you were desperate and hiding alone you could always remember how this all started and have a laugh?

For example: In the not-so-distant future, McDonald's went from simple fast food chain to a super-massive corporate empire seemingly overnight. Fast food would remain their chief product; however, new stores would open as well. Every common consumerist industry would be taken over; clothing, pet stores, sports equipment, even medicine and biotechnology. This particular field was where the suits at the head of the executive branch got a fantastic idea; a genetically engineered parasite that would take over the minds of simple-minded consumers and force them to buy at none other than McDonald's Enterprises. How would it be spread? Why, through Big Macs and Chicken Nuggets of course! Over the course of a couple months hundreds of millions were unknowingly taken over by the parasite, soon to become nothing more than a zombie if they weren't one already, forced to constantly purchase goods from McDonald's. However, the plan went horribly wrong.

See, the lab scientists over at McDonald's didn't exactly properly test the newly engineered serum. Why would they? It's not like any other of McDonald's franchises had proper testing and research. So when the parasite took hold of its host after a week or so, the infected zombies weren't just craving for cow flesh; they were craving for humans', too! And so the billion or so people that were left in the world who ate at Wendy's or Taco Bell or some other random chain were mostly killed off and eaten alive by the human-eating McDonald's drones. The few survivors left tried to travel to post-soviet lands, because in Soviet Russia, human eat zombie. The most popular place to travel was known as Chernarus due to its incredibly cheap travel price. You wonder why this is as you travel by boat to the coast, only to have an explosion knock you off the boat and into the water, first starting your new life in Chernarus with nothing more than some clothes and a flashlight...

Edited by The Stoned Wolf

I meant to add New Zealand but forgot to.  I updated the story with New Zealand being one of the safe havens.

Thanks!

You mine if I try and add my own iteration?

I honestly think that the virus started in Russia.

(not chernarus)

Maybe Chernarus was trying to fight off the infected and called for UN/US help, but even with help they eventually got overrun which is why you can find UN/US equipment scattered around.