Sign in to follow this  
SalamanderAnder (DayZ)

Long term standalone discussion; globalization, logistics, economy, and more.

I think that making people wait a certain amount of time before being able to move over to the next cell is a good idea.

I was talking to a few friends about the idea last night and one of them did bring up the fact that people could use these cells to escape combat.  One problem/dilemma would be aircraft.  Are they just going to float in the air or something?  If two choppers are in a fight and one tries to escape into another cell, is there the possibility that the chopper chasing it could ram it or something?  Same for vehicles too.

I said in an earlier post and am happy to repeat it. I was thinking there could be a bus kinda thing (not physically or literally), by that I mean a thing for the people and their entities to stay in for a while whilst waiting for the transfer.

I made a little graphic to demonstrate why making players invincible and boundary camping is not a huge issue. This can also provide ample open space to spawn in vehicles without obstruction.

Untitled_1.jpg

Also notice how server boundaries extend across each other so that moving around in the spawn area is limited. The dotted portions also would not function as teleport points (merely as physical barriers), so it wouldn't be possible to travel from server to server only through the spawn "box," if you will. Perhaps players who are outside boundaries would not be allowed to fire their weapons, so they can't just wait out of bounds and fire on people approaching the boundary, or other players who are joining the server. It would function as a both waiting area and a cushion from players in bounds, so they would have time to move around and actually move into the map where it's safe to do so.

As for the whole MMORPG thing... I just don't see the distinction. DayZ will always remain at it's core a hardcore shooter and survival simulator, but it's also always been a multiplayer role playing game. To me, adding map portals like this, pumping in more and more content, giving players new things to do and generally creating an incentive to continue playing the game, is necessary and inevitable. I mean, I know the team already has a lot to do. However, once they do that, it won't be enough. I think if this game wants to be the definitive zombie apocalypse simulator, this kind of stuff has to happen. As Vindicator said; even a 2x2 grid of maps would add to the gameplay exponentially. A grid like the one I showed would probably take about four years to develop the map content alone.

Wolfhound, thank you for your opinion.

Edited by SalamanderAnder

I love the idea of having such a massive game world. Eve online has been doing it for 10+ years now. It would be one of the most epic games to have been made that's for sure!

It might help lend it's self to a rebuilding of the fallen world in the game as well.

It's brilliant. But a complete rewrite as I said. Like someone said, December 2014. Flesh is to to be used for a group of cells!

I dont like this mega map idea.

good show for speaking your mind and not going with the majority vote for the sake of it. i for one find this idea very appealing, and judging from the posts most people do too - though i can't really see it being implimented. one can only hope :D

This is an awesome - truly awesome - idea. I think this is something that we need more of in these forums; out of the box thinking with ideas that are limited only by our imagination, not the engine. That being said this is definitely something for consideration for DayZ 2, but nonetheless, we do need a bit more ambition in our ideas. DayZ is one of the very few games that made me think "anything is possible". We need that back.

Just a question, when leaving a cell and entering another one, do you stay in the same server or switch into another one on the same hive?

Not a fan of the safe idea though...

EDIT: Re-read, and found the answer to my question, all good.

Edited by WBK

And just imagine boating off the coast toward the North and finding Namalsk, or boating west and finding Tavania, or going south and finding, dare I say it... Altis? Maybe south from Altis would be Stratis, and west of Altis would be Lingor. East could be Sahrani. You could build a huge network of islands with the existing maps already...

And if you sail southeast in a PBX for 5 cells you'll reach AUSTRALIA!!! Where there is no infection but everything will try to kill you anyway.

• Like 1

To some extent i think its a good idea, but once end game begins the only thing left to handle is the other players, so then it becomes more of a war and watch the lower "civilizations" grow to power.