Sign in to follow this  
toxicsludge

Non-lethal weapons?

Add non-lethal weapons to DayZ?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see non-lethal weapons in DayZ?

I'm not a big fan of KoS (but that doesn't mean I'm not a fan of PvP!), although I don't have much choice to remove a threat but to kill them.

I would like to see a non-lethal weapon added to the game. Not Chloroform, but a longer range weapon, like a dart gun or similar.

You could even find different tips for said darts...knockout tips, poison tips (in which you would have to find an antidote for) etc...imagine the possibilities :)

But if I could take someone out with a dart from a distance, take their loot, but still leave them alive, I think that would be a great addition.

Sure, we would still have Kos, but the good kind - Knockout on Sight :D

Thoughts?

Edited by ToxicSludge
  • Like 2

I don't think tipped darts would be very authentic, but something like a tazer and/or other non-lethal weapons used by police would be cool.

• Like 1

I don't think tipped darts would be very authentic, but something like a tazer and/or other non-lethal weapons used by police would be cool.

Ok, darts may not be authentic, but you get were I'm going with it...maybe a gun that takes rubber bullets? I dunno, I'm just brainstorming...

Why not tipped darts? If you can find all sorts of medical stuff at the hospital you might find some stong anesthetics(drugs) that in a large dose knock you out a little while. This could even be added to the crafting table as manipulating food and placing it back out in spawns together with other cans.

Other options would be guns similar to the winchester that don´t kill you but knock you out, you could have remington beanbags which wouldn´t even leave your "victim" bleeding. Tazers are a given, they would only be usefull up to a few meters from your target but sometimes that is more than enough, coming around a corner and panicking at a stranger wouldn´t mean that you kill that person, you would then have the option to do what you wish with him/her.

There are a large variety of items in our surounding every day that could be used as non lethal weapons, blunt force to the head sure can kill but in many cases it just ends up with a concussion.

And since we already have alot of military loot why not add gas canisters with teargas/sleeping gas, alot of those might have been left behind in the wake of the riots when the public found out about the outbreak.

Non-lethal definately needs to be put in this game, we alrady have the hero option and a hero should be able to defend himself without having to do the morally wrong thing.

Edited by Misho
  • Like 1

There are a large variety of items in our surounding every day that could be used as non lethal weapons, blunt force to the head sure can kill but in many cases it just ends up with a concussion. 

Ok, darts may not be authentic, but you get were I'm going with it...maybe a gun that takes rubber bullets? I dunno, I'm just brainstorming...

Yeah, I was thinking rubber bullets too... But I'm not sure if they have the ability to actually knock someone out, unless you hit them in the head. *Waits for someone more knowledgeable...*

Why not tipped darts? If you can find all sorts of medical stuff at the hospital you might find some stong anesthetics(drugs) that in a large dose knock you out a little while. This could even be added to the crafting table as manipulating food and placing it back out in spawns together with other cans.

Other options would be guns similar to the winchester that don´t kill you but knock you out, you could have remington beanbags which wouldn´t even leave your "victim" bleeding. Tazers are a given, they would only be usefull up to a few meters from your target but sometimes that is more than enough, coming around a corner and panicking at a stranger wouldn´t mean that you kill that person, you would then have the option to do what you wish with him/her.

It just seems a bit silly to me. In a real life survival situation I don't think that someone would take the time to mess around making tipped darts, but non-lethal police weapons seem pretty feasible.

Sedatives, which would be found in hospitals, and administered through the action menu like other medical supplies don't sound like a bad idea though.

Sedatives, which would be found in hospitals, and administered through the action menu like other medical supplies don't sound like a bad idea though.

This does sound like a good idea...and spiking food, then dropping it in the supermarket for some random to pick up and eat...then he wonders why his screen is shaking and he passes out :D

Edited by ToxicSludge
  • Like 2

Personally I don't want to see non-lethal weapons. I checked, and Tazers are not common in the Czech Republic, it's not America. 50 Tazers in the whole country was the number I found.  That's one official Tazer for every 200000 people. In Chernarus, which is way poorer and smaller? I doubt there would even be a single one in any police unit. It seems like a place where police would be more likely to carry Makarovs and submachine guns.

There have been suggestions for tranquilizer guns found in vet clinics. What kind of vets y'all go to? Poison arrows seems unrealistic. A poison arrow wouldn't harmlessly stick in someone, it's an arrow, not a hypodermic needle. It would act like an arrow.

Beanbag guns are nonlethal when used properly, sure, but they don't magically knock people out. They hit them with a beanbag. It hurts. Do they somehow fall to the ground unconscious? Not unless it hits them in the head and makes them unconscious, and in that case they could be seriously injured. In any case, who's going to shoot beanbags at someone armed with a Kalashnikov? Darwin award inbound...

I don't want to see anything that's not plausible. My suggestion was some kind of small military / international research facility with a couple tranquilizer guns that were used to capture and study the infected. I don't see many other ways to explain a nonlethal projectile weapon.

I don't want to see many instant knockout weapons. Instant knockout is just as unrealistic as the old AS50 toe-shot kills.

My suggestion was some kind of small military / international research facility with a couple tranquilizer guns that were used to capture and study the infected. I don't see many other ways to explain a nonlethal projectile weapon.

That explains it perfectly. Actually, tranquilizer guns are what I was trying to convey (not dart guns), just couldn't think of the right words!

Any they wouldn't need to be instant knockout. You could still get a few shots off before you fell to the ground

Edited by ToxicSludge

100% yes.

Also, I want to be able to knock people unconscious from behind, say with a bat, or the but of a gun, or even a can of beans... It could fundamentally change the way people interact with each other. Sometimes, I think a lot of people kill others on sight out of fear and no other viable option. 

Plus, think of the crafting options and other ammo types we might have access to. Birdshot is an excellent non-lethal. Or, you could carefully remove the shot and load a shell with rock salt. It would make the player bleed of course, but it wouldn't kill them or break any bones. You know, just to simmer 'em down a little bit.

rubber bullets for shotguns. that would maybe break leg or incapacitate the person for few minutes.

Birdshot is an excellent non-lethal.

I wouldn't recommend trying that... eiWGPaG.gif

• Like 1

Yeah I heaps like this idea. Maybe you can find different poisons/sedatives and use crafting to combine them with crossbow arrows or a dart gun or something. Tranquilizer guns aren't too far fetched either though, animal control and such use them so I don't think it would be a heaps big stretch to find them sparingly around Chernarus. I also really love the idea of being able to tamper with food. Could you imagine finding someone's tent in the woods and just poisoning all of their food, just to be a dick?

I don't mind the idea of tazers either. It might be unrealistic but then again, so is finding military grade weaponry in a fire station :P Just make them rare or something. And like already suggested, non lethal rounds for weapons like bean bag rounds or rubber pellets or maybe rock salt for shotguns.

I also like the idea of smoke grenades with knock-out gas or something along those lines.

It would be kind of neat if a blunt melee weapon (i.e. baseball bat) has a chance of knocking out another player rather than straight up killing them. 

I think being able to just knock out other players might encourage people to just subdue other players rather than go with the kill on sight method.

• Like 1

Yes good ideas

I think rubber shotgun rounds that do very little damage but always knock someone out would be useful

Tazars would also be nice, and it's quite possible that a dart gun could work as there are weapons used on things such as tigers at zoos

I remember a place I went to as a kid where the animals were free roaming and there were two guys who had what looked like cz550s with darts in their hands, a short range 1 shot rifle that knocks someone out for 5 mins would be very useful to me

I think there could be an opportunity here to take advantage of melee weapons too.

If they decided to add in a load of lower end melee weapons they could potentially be used for knocking enemies unconscious rather than outright killing them - it will do minimal damage but a high chance to knock them out, especially if the assault is made from behind the target.

I reckon that could change the dynamic of a lot of encounters rather than them all being insta-KoS.

Edit: It could also give a lot of flexibility with the crafting system, allowing you to add nails and more.. 'lethal' additions to the more basic weapons to make them more viable.

Edited by Rossums

I want to tie people up and drag them off into a cabin in the woods to torture them.

can we give after 8 mints to everyone we see and pink roses :rolleyes:

KOS WONT GO AWAY ! :lol:

KOS WONT GO AWAY ! :lol:

Of course it won't! What is your point?

The OPs point is that he and others would like an option that doesn't involve killing. Why? So when I run into someone I don't want to kill I can defeat them without killing them. Imagine I run across a survivor. I'm not certain if he is a danger to me or not so I tranq him or taze him and leave the area. I have dealt with it without having to lose a hero skin. Otherwise my options are to avoid them and hope they don't notice me, try and talk to them and hope they don't decide to use my "friendly" as a chance to get the drop on me, or shoot them. That is it. 

Besides, imagine how excellent stunning someone and then removing their weapons so you could take them prisoner would be. I think it would be a lot more exciting to be taken prisoner than "Vwip!" followed by "You are Dead!" and respawning on the coast. 

• Like 1

I'd like to hit someone in the back of the head, load them into a truck, and wake them up in the north.

(To be nice, i'd give them 2 cans of food, 2 cans of soda and a compass.)

I'd like to hit someone in the back of the head, load them into a truck, and wake them up in the north.

(To be nice, i'd give them 2 cans of food, 2 cans of soda and a compass.)

Far NE corner of the map? Across the bay?  :P

Maybe giving the baseball bat a high chance of knocking someone out could be a bit of help ^^

Exactly, I've been playing on te public hive recently as I have a hero skin there and could have used a non lethal weapon recently

I got shot at by a survivor with a lee Enfield, his friend ran towards my area with a hachet while his friend covered my approx location (behind a wall)

The hachet guy ran to where they last saw me and I shot him as he approached after I said "don't think because I'm a hero I won't defend myself"

And lost a load or humanity, killed him and his lee Enfield friend came running

He turned the corner looking another direction and I could have knocked him out with a non lethal weapo and taken his ammo or gun away and got away but I shot him instead now brining my humanity even lower as they were both survivors skins

I think the game actually needs these kind of weapons, even a tazar would make me extremely happy