Sign in to follow this  
h3l1x

Cable car, Aerial tramway, Gondola lift (same thing, different names)

Another suggestion for a new vehicle type. Didn't find anything related suggested already after searching so here we go.

I'm talking about this system utilizing small cabins, transporting people up and down mountains. Some run on petrol, others on electricity, so one could either fuel them up, or fuel up a power generator once they are implemented. Also I think it would suit Chernarus, if it's made a bit old fashioned, some rust on the cabins, etc. Pic following, more pics here.

aerial+tramway+merida.jpg

It may seem to some as useless since it has a fixed location and a predestined route, but I think it would add lots of fun in DayZ. Imagine having the chance to go up and down a really high mountain in one of these cabins, thinking one could start shooting at you, or stop the power generator, turn off the main engine, and trap you midair (yes this is exploitable but I'm sure the devs will figure it out somehow). Or pulling the emergency brake, stopping the cabin, and starting shooting down at people.

Just try to imagine the view, and being able to move inside these cabins while they travel slowly along the steel cables. Not to mention, this usually works with two cabins, when one goes down the other goes up, so in the middle of the cables' length the cabins meet each other. More encounters midair. Also imagine hearing the cables squeaking and the air blowing while you're hanging there. Or watching cabins moving during nighttime, everything is pitch black and you see small lights 100 meters above your head.

640px-CH_Furtschellas_aerial_tram.jpg

Now, don't get me wrong, I know that modelling, texturing, coding, tweaking such a project is a lot of work. It's more of a luxury suggestion, I strongly feel though it'd worth making. Feel free to share thoughts/ideas/suggestions but also try to keep the thread clean please.

• Like 3

Not sure if Chenarus has high/steep enough mountains for cable cars to be warranted.  Still a pretty good idea for another map though.  Could see more than a few possibilities with these, would be lovely against a horde or as a sniper's nest.  You and 3 buddies go up into the mountains on that thing, put the breaks on, go to town on the horde or as an ultimate 'fuck you' to people who manage to counter snipe you and cant get your gear.

Not sure if Chenarus has high/steep enough mountains for cable cars to be warranted.  Still a pretty good idea for another map though.  Could see more than a few possibilities with these, would be lovely against a horde or as a sniper's nest.  You and 3 buddies go up into the mountains on that thing, put the breaks on, go to town on the horde or as an ultimate 'fuck you' to people who manage to counter snipe you and cant get your gear.

I'm sure that if they were anything more than a map prop, then you'd be able to move them manually with switches.

But that relies on electricity, so it doesn't really make much sense, unless you had a huge endgame where you restored power to the map. Even then, I don't think it would be worth the work to have a huge ton of extra features (Like gondolas) for just one endgame thing.

There's workarounds, and a small generator could power a tramway with minimal/no infrastructure.  However that's still something you'd have to fix (if its broken) and fuel.  But it'd be no different than repairing an engine.  Don't think there's actually (m)any that have their own power source on board (unless it's human powered) and unlike say the San Fran cable cars where the cable keeps moving and the cars just grab onto and let go of the cable at the Conductor's discretion, its pretty much permanently tethered to the propulsion cable (think the emergency brake really just puts the brakes on the track cables in case the propulsion cable snaps/loses power so you don't go crashing back into the station at the bottom of the hill.

Not really endgame. More like a map-feature.

Holding that position probably wouldn't be too useful either, in the long run. Just a bit of something different.

They could probably be powered by an offboard standalone generator. So it's not too far-fetched. But yeah, agree with BigMIke, not really needed for the likes of Chernarus.

Still cool though.

I instantly though of Moonraker when I read the OP. Has to be said.

Well if they did a 'New York' like map they could have it in.  New York has a tramway that goes across the river (was recreated in GTA4, stumbled upon it once without knowing what it was).  There's also one or two in Columbia somewhere in one of the cities.  Think London also has one that's more like a chair lift.  The ones in an urban setting would probably be harder to get back up and running since they would be connected to the power grid, but still cool.

Would be kind of a death trap if you ask me...you have to think like a KoSer thinks in this case..would you still want to use it?

Edited by Enforcer

Interesting idea. Could be used to take people up to a tourist area on the mountain which has a great view of a valley. Or up to a ski resort. I would not add it to a larger city, should be outside of town in the bush. Some type of gas generator yeah, repair it, fill it up with gas and start it up. And while you are on it, if some player can cut power, maybe the cable car slowly goes back down the mountain instead of just being stuck in the air. That may avoid some exploitable stuffs.

Would be kind of a death trap if you ask me...you have to think like a KoSer thinks in this case..would you still want to use it?

Depends on pros and cons. Big risks should have big rewards. For example, one could climb a mountain on foot, or run across a canyon/valley, taking him lots of time and zed encounters, or he could take the risk of flying over these things, taking him less time/running/zeds but taking the risk of being spotted by other players. See the pros and cons? It's all about giving choices to the user.

IMO if everything got implemented around the KOS mentality the game would suck. You've seen how the bandit skin subject progressed. It's useless, any two bandits bloodbagging eachother can get hero skins. KOS will always be there, and as much as me/you/anyone hates it at times, it's a vital part of the game, the risk factor, the human element.

I did have an idea to implement something like this on my current WIP map, NOVA ZONA, but I got some feedback from someone in the know that you can't have moving floors, or "roadways lods" as they're called in the ARMA engine... Now if someone knows different...?

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?142308-Large-S-T-A-L-K-E-R-inspired-Island-quot-NOVA-ZONA-quot

As an extra feature, why not? Could we also have the capability to build manual, makeshift ones that carry you from building to building so as to avoid the zs? Then u could fortify a set of high buildings and interconect them with such a network.

I did have an idea to implement something like this on my current WIP map, NOVA ZONA, but I got some feedback from someone in the know that you can't have moving floors, or "roadways lods" as they're called in the ARMA engine... Now if someone knows different...?

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?142308-Large-S-T-A-L-K-E-R-inspired-Island-quot-NOVA-ZONA-quot

Only thing I know is that they are using a modified version of the arma engine, they have customized it to their needs.. so maybe that has been changed? Not sure..

I was thinking Chenarus has train tracks What about putting a Locamotive in there. Hard to fix up, agros massive amounts of zombies, holds many people, and runs back and forth down the coast. It could be the Newbie express transport to "blank" city! hahaha

And as for the cable car idea, You could just have a generator with the car operating along the wires instead of having the generator at the bases.

Edited by blood_faucet

If this is true, then crap. Engine seems too limited if you can't have people on moving floors. Only hope left is for ToH tweaked engine (SA engine) to allow something like this. Or another approach would be having players inside cabins into the sitting position/animation (as when in cars) as a compromise.

I was thinking Chenarus has train tracks What about putting a Locamotive in there. Hard to fix up, agros massive amounts of zombies, holds many people, and runs back and forth down the coast. It could be the Newbie express transport to "blank" city! hahaha

And as for the cable car idea, You could just have a generator with the car operating along the wires instead of having the generator at the bases.

Trains and all related ideas have been already discussed I think, multiple times. And yes, fueling and operating each cabin separately, instead of fueling and operating the main control/power room would be another viable solution, less risky for the players inside the cabins.

As a some landmark in Cherno, this would be interesting. Not so sure about as working feature. But maybe if dev's invest more work into the Black Montains region, then...

Here is some pics about the cable way in Georgia (former USSR).

http://supercoolpics.com/2013/08/27/%D0%BA%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%B0%D1%82%D0%BD%D0%B0%D1%8F-%D0%B4%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%B3%D0%B0-%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B0%D0%BB%D0%B8%D0%BD%D0%B0-20-%D1%84%D0%BE%D1%82%D0%BE/

Edited by gregor