Sign in to follow this  
h3l1x

Vehicle ownership/stealing system without actual keys

This is an idea based on IT07's Optional anti-theft system thread. I did post it on said thread, but my guess is it got so much flak that nobody bothered to read past first page in order to see my post. So I'm deleting it, and making a dedicated thread for it.

In a few words IT07 proposed a vehicle ownership system (vehicle gets tied to the player's guid and nobody else can use it) made specifically for "no stealing allowed" servers. Personally I can't even understand why a server would have such a rule, but I think if this idea gets altered/tweaked and combined with a couple of other things could work pretty nicely in the mod (or the SA in the future). So here we go.

-

There have been threads about vehicle keys. But this would need new objects/models/textures, new actions, some system linking specific keys with specific cars, etc. So too much hassle for the devs, when there are more important things they need to work on. But this idea could replace said key system. So let's say every vehicle on the server spawns with an "invisible" set of keys on it. Not very realistic I know, but let's say it's just cars abandoned in the middle of the road, got attacked and drivers fled or died, so any keys got left inside.

You spawn on the coast, and find a fresh spawned vehicle. There are no actual keys, but in right click menu let's say there's a "claim/lock vehicle" action. As soon as you select that option, the system proposed in IT07's thread gets utilized and it works as if you have the keys to that car. Now if another player gets to the car and tries to get in, he gets in his right click menu "vehicle locked". He can't get in, he can't access the boot (steal/store gear) but he can still repair or remove parts (if removing parts ever gets added in vanilla).

In order to steal said vehicle, he'd have to break (hatchet, gun, crowbar, doesn't matter how) one window, and jumpstart it. To jumpstart it, he would need to have in his inventory a toolbox (and/or a crowbar), and also it would take let's say 15-30 secs (timer). As soon as he does that, then the vehicle owning system deletes the entry for said vehicle, and it becomes an ownerless vehicle (eg jumpstarted, no keys needed), and can be used by anyone till it gets destroyed and respawns again with "invisible" keys inside.

Also if someone "owns" a vehicle and he dies, I'd think the vehicle should stay in the locked state (system should delete the tied guid, but keep the vehicle locked). This way, we have ingame the normal locked cars that one would find in such a scenario, balancing the "all vehicles spawn with a sets of keys inside" part mentioned in the third paragraph.

Only problem with this approach I can think of are claimed shared cars. For example exchanging seats with someone when you are bored of driving. To overcome this, there could be a right click option "abandon/unlock vehicle". This way you are dettaching your guid from said car, and anyone can use it (or claim it) without having to jumpstart it. Or one could not claim it in the first place afterall, choices are nice.

-

To recap, each vehicle is going to have 3 possible states. Unclaimed/abandoned/unlocked (either fresh spawned, driver didn't want to claim it or driver abandoned it after claiming it), Claimed/locked (locked to anyone besides driver, needs to get jumpstarted), Jumpstarted/unlocked (can't claim/lock it, it stays like that till it gets destroyed and respawns, everyone can use it). Same goes for every other vehicle besides cars, you'd just not have to break a window in order to gain access to the interior so you could jumpstart it.

Now how would this help and why should it be implemented? First it will make hijacks more difficult. Secondly it will make getting away from zeds by hoping in a nearby car and driving away much more difficult (have to break a glass, have to have appropriate tools in inventory, have to wait in driver's seat for 15-30 secs while zeds/players are attacking you). It will give a more realistic sense of vehicle ownership and vehicle stealing. Also it will offer different states of vehicles (unlocked, locked, jumpstarted) one could find, like irl. IMO all these things are good for vanilla mod. It's just a matter of how difficult it is to get implemented (it appears complicated, but it really isn't methinks, needs a database, some right click menu editing/blocking, a timer and a couple of other things).

TLDR

1) Vehicle gets tied to the guid of the first player to use "claim/lock vehicle" right menu option. It operates normally for him, appears locked for anyone else (can't enter, can't open/use boot-gear).

2) To steal it, you need to break one window (doesn't matter which), have a toolbox (and/or crowbar), and spend 15-30 secs jumpstarting it while sitting still in driver's seat. As soon as you accomplish that, you can drive around, you can use the boot, but you don't own it, can't lock it (simply put, it works like all vehicles work right now).

3) If owner dies, car stays locked (ownerless though), and only way to operate it is to jumpstart it.

4) There is a right click option to abandon/unlock the car (with invisible set of keys inside, as if it just spawned) after claiming it , so you can share it with friends of yours, of just leave it on the coast for a bambi if you feel like it.

5) There's also the option to not use the "claim/lock vehicle" action at all, making the vehicle to behave like they do right now (no locking of any sort, just as if you always left the keys inside irl).

Share thoughts, ideas, questions (after reading whole post). Also try to keep it clean please.

Edited by h3l1x

Points to ponder.

You would have a bunch of guys running around to all the vehicles and "claiming" every one they find without intention of using them.

90% of the time, any vehicle that can not be stolen, moved, looted, etc, will be destroyed. Epoch's vehicle purchase/key system if living proof of this.

If you are killed, the killer or your friend should be able to take your vehicle.

I feel this would only be useful while your in game and in close proximity to your vehicle which in turn also increases your chances of dying. ( I'm undecided if this is a positive aspect or not)

Oh, and no magical invisible transponder keys implanted on your person that can't be stolen. Thanks.

Otherwise, it could work. 

• Like 1

Well it appears you missed the "Share thoughts, ideas, questions (after reading whole post)" part. Let me explain.

You would have a bunch of guys running around to all the vehicles and "claiming" every one they find without intention of using them.

True, but that would also be a real life scenario. If one scavenged all day long for vehicles then he'd have more keys than someone that just camps on a hill. Also anyone with a hatchet/makarov (or any other medium capable of breaking a window), and a toolbox would be able to steal and use said vehicles easily.

90% of the time, any vehicle that can not be stolen, moved, looted, etc, will be destroyed. Epoch's vehicle purchase/key system if living proof of this.

Again, anyone is going to be able to steal/hotwire any claimed vehicle, it's not a permanent ownership system, it just adds some realism when it comes to finding/stealing vehicles.

If you are killed, the killer or your friend should be able to take your vehicle.

Agreed, this could also work (eg when you die vehicle becomes unlocked automatically). But I think it'd be better if it stayed locked just for the added difficulty. Maybe there's a middle road solution. If you die inside the vehicle (or within a specific proximity eg 100 meters, it becomes unlocked), thus simulating keys left in/near vehicle. But if you have a claimed/locked vehicle in Berezino and you die in Cherno, then it wouldn't be realistic if that car got magically unlocked, would it? Not to mention, when driving with buddies, one would use the abandon/unlock action so others would be able to enter. And if he got out to scout for example, he'd use the claim/lock action again. These actions are not supposed to be permanent.

I feel this would only be useful while your in game and in close proximity to your vehicle which in turn also increases your chances of dying. ( I'm undecided if this is a positive aspect or not)

Locking a car has nothing to do with proximity, does it? If I lock my car and then move to Peru, it'll still stay locked. Till someone smashes the window, hotwires it and drives away. Get my point now?

Oh, and no magical invisible transponder keys implanted on your person that can't be stolen. Thanks.

It's just a alternative suggestion to the use of actual vehicle keys, something much more complicated to implement that I don't see coming to the mod. If you have a better suggestion, one that provides vehicle locking, vehicle stealing, and all the other aspects mentioned in my post feel free to share. Edited by h3l1x

vehicle works as now,

if you claim it: you get keys in your inventory,you must lock it and open it(open and closed also for others)

if you loot the body with the keys and take'em, the vehicle is yours(if you find it like irl)

if the guy with the keys dies in cherno or you want to steal it, the vehicle must be highjacked:

a) crowbar/hatchet, you can access the trunk

b) crowbar/hatchet+ toolbox, having access and possibility to drive it

after that, vehicle works as now.

^ Not getting exactly what you mean, but I think you're talking about an actual key system. As I already mentioned in OP, implementing this feature seems -at least to me- much more difficult and time consuming for the devs than the system I'm proposing. And that is the reason I made this thread in the first place, to provide an easier (from developing point of view) alternative system for vehicle owning/locking/stealing.

I think a key system would be good BUT it cannot be the be all and end all, if you look at Epoch - if they can't drive it they just blow it up and hope a better one respawns.

Here is another suggestion:

1) Keys upon spawn: When it spawns the car will have keys, these are they keys that can lock the car and start the car. Locking the car protects your loot and starting the car.. starts the car?
2) Finding keys on a body: If you find they keys to the car, you have the keys to the car, if you look an example 1 it tells you what keys can do.
3) Breaking into the car: Cars should be able to be broken into BUT breaking into the car will cause some problems.

Example:

There should be 2 stages to start the car:

Open the car

Start the car

If the car is locked and you do not have the keys you will be required to use a toolbox to attempt to pry the vehicle open, this can take some time and can fail. Once the car is 'open' it can no longer be locked without being properly repaired, this means if you take the vehicle and hide it in a tree people will have full access to your gear as it is now permanently 'unlocked' until it is repaired.

Once the car is open (whether you used the key or broke into it) you now have to start the vehicle.
With a key is simple, you can just drive it since you have they key, if you don't have a key you will have to hotwire it using the toolbox.

Hotwiring should take some amount of time and also come with some downsides.

a) They car might not start as fast
B) The car may set of some sort of alarm (This could attract zombies or players)
c) Once the car is started you may not be able to properly turn the engine off (again, causing sound).

A nice balance between stolen and owned cars would be best, one that encourages players to use their own vehicles but one that allows players to steal vehicles if it is really required but also comes with the downside of having a vehicle that isn't started using keys.

Edited by Rossums

How about this simple combination of the two systems?

Ya find a fresh vehicle spawn. Doors are unlocked (always? not sure on that.. maybe sometimes a newly spawned vehicle has locked doors and boot). When you get in, there is a good chance that keys will be added to your inventory (should be a special slot, or slots, for keys.). While in the car, there is an option to start or turn off the engine, and to lock or unlock the doors. While outside the car, there is the options to lock or unlock the doors, and to lock or unlock the boot (storage). By having the option to lock or unlock while in the vehicle, you can control if someone can get in.

So only the key holder can be the driver (owner). To change drivers, the owner and passenger get out, keys are put into the passengers inventory and now he/she can drive (and is essentially the owner, so only give keys to someone you trust).

So as I said, when you find a fresh vehicle spawn and get in, there is a chance that you will get keys. Sometimes you would not get keys and would need to use a toolbox to hotwire the vehicle. So for that vehicle, a toolbox would be needed at all times to start it. But you could not lock the doors or boot.

And of course, if you have keys for a vehicle and it is parked somewhere. Someone can come along, bash the window in, unlock the door and if they have a toolbox, start the engine and drive (but with no keys, would never be able to lock the doors or boot). And yeah, with a crowbar, pry open the boot, which would no doubt make it so the boot of that vehicle could never be locked again. So if you manage to get your vehicle back, it would be somewhat messed up.

I would disagree that vehicles would automatically go to the killer of the vehicle owner, tis not realistic. The killer should still have to break into the car and/or boot. Also, a friend should have to do the same.

Anyways, this is what I think would be great and make it realistic. Yeah there would be some work, an image for the keys (which can only be seen in the inventory maybe, but would be great if they could be something to hold in your hand), maybe a minor animation for locking and unlocking the door / boot, a database entry for who holds what keys for which vehicle... etc..

edit - seems rossums beat me to it somewhat haha. not easy being a gamer when ya got a wife and toddler. been working on this post for a couple hours lol

edit 2 - dang it, forgot one part. I would disagree that if you kill the owner of a vehicle, the vehicle automatically belongs to the killer. Keys would be necessary, or breaking the window and hotwiring it without the ability to lock it yourself etc..

Edited by Cormyr

Guys, try reading OP again. Also read IT07's linked post in first line. What I'm suggesting does not include keys. It's a different approach since implementing an actual key system would be much more difficult than this. I also mentioned it in my answers to creature and bludy.

Edited by h3l1x
  • Like 1

Guys, try reading OP again. Also read IT07's linked post in first line. What I'm suggesting does not include keys. It's a different approach since implementing an actual key system would be much more difficult than this. I also mentioned it in my answers to creature and bludy.

I hear ya dude. Was adding my own idea onto yours. In latest devblog, they showed actual keys for the handcuffs. Not too difficult to add another for vehicles. And I was suggesting just have it in the inventory and use them from there via options like getting in and out of cars now. But it would not be too difficult to have to put them in your hand to use them, like for handcuffs. Anyways..

I see what you mean, but as stated in the title of this thread, it's supposed to be about the easiest to implement vehicle locking system. It's not targeted at the SA but at the mod. And handcuffs' keys are much easier to implement since all keys will be the same, and all handcuffs the same. It will be as another tool. Vehicle keys would need a much more complicated system, each key tied to a specific vehicle. This road is a no go for the mod and it would need many months till it gets implemented into the SA (which will have no vehicles at all when it comes out).

I too would prefer an actual key system in the mod instead of what I'm suggesting here, but I'm trying to be realistic and find something that works, and it actually has chances to be added in the mod.

Not to mention another problem with real keys I thought of right now. Say keys do get added in the mod as normal objects you can put in your inventory. Let's say you have 3 keys, each taking up one slot in your inventory. You are losing 3 slots (keep that in mind). Or better yet, let's say the devs are awesome and implement a stacking system (like flares or glowsticks) where you can add keys to a keychain which only takes up one slot in your inventory. Now you're losing only one slot. All of the keys you are carrying are tied to specific vehicles on a specific server you found said keys. What if next day you join another public hive server? You end up with a bunch of useless keys in your inventory taking up space. And then you'll find keys on this server too, so after a month you'll end up with a dozen keys, each one tied to a vehicle on a different server. Seems very broken doesn't it?

And then take into account that each server reboots every 5-6 hours usually and many vehicles get lost/bugged this way. You'd end up carrying useless keys tied to nonexistent vehicles. Can you see now why keys are so hard to implement? On the other hand, what I'm suggesting is viable. Each database gets stored locally on the server, so on each server you can have claimed vehicles without having to carry 50 keys in your inventory across servers. Also, when a vehicle is lost or destroyed, the database entry gets automatically deleted, so no useless keys in your inventory.

Edited by h3l1x
  • Like 1

Yeah, the global inventory thing. I honestly do not like it. IMO inventory should be server specific. I have checked out Infestation which does a global inventory thing. just leads to people hoarding weapons etc..  Also, a global inventory makes it easier to server hop IMO. Anyways.. tis another topic.

In regards to actual keys. Yeah the easiest thing is to make the keys imaginary and just add their functionality. Either way, most of my idea could work well. Also, I did not realize you meant this for the mod. My bad.

i agree with bean king if the person dies while using a vehicle then that person is out of luck and that vehicle should be able to be driven PERIOD. Im sick and tired of running around looking for a car and all of them are locked. There should be no such thing as seat check in a open world survival game.

Personally I think it's a dumb idea to have any vehicle possession system at all. In real life, if you really wanted a vehicle in an emergency situation that was locked, you can break a window/pick a door and than hotwire the vehicle. Besides, it makes you really have to choose good decisions and cherish whatever vehicle you have whenever it's constantly at risk. Let's say you added keys, well what happens if somebody loses the key? Vehicle is stuck there until somebody deletes it, in which case is a waste of a vehicle and rather pointless. Now let's say you are able to break into vehicles and hotwire them whilst having the key system. Than what's the point of having a key and lock if they can be stolen anyhow?

In the modded private hives that introduced part scavenging and since DayZ mod 1.8.1 as well, I found it far more useful to remove and hide parts and/or drain the fuel when leaving a vehicle.

There's not much to steal if the current owner/user has removed the parts and hidden them in a stash.  Then the finder/thief won't have enough inventory space to carry a set of parts and cans of fuel even if in possession of a toolbox.

Stripping is far more effective than some imaginary locking system and even if the vehicle is troll wrecked, there's a set of parts tucked away for future use.

All in all I'm afraid I'll have to be honest, the whole locking and ownership idea seems like a waste of code.

Edited by RN_Max