SmashT

August Round-up: DevBlog, #DayZDaily, Gamescom

cPSYYJM.png

I don't think Rocket needs a guy that's just in a way and slowing things down when he wants to say something. Rocket just need to learn himseld and keep doing what he's doing. He just shouldn't drop any hopes that the game is even coming soon. He should say "We aren't even close to ready yet" even though they release the game tomorrow :D

• Like 2

cPSYYJM.png

I don't think Rocket needs a guy that's just in a way and slowing things down when he wants to say something. Rocket just need to learn himseld and keep doing what he's doing. He just shouldn't drop any hopes that the game is even coming soon. He should say "We aren't even close to ready yet" even though they release the game tomorrow :D

T-tomorrow?

Edited by HumanBeing25
  • Like 3

It's not being released tomorrow, lol.

• Like 1

I hope the forests have more undergrowth and uneven terrain for more cover... Now the forests are flats With some trees sticking up from it and you can spot People from miles away. Same goes With rendering the grass far away... Most important issues With terrain IMO..

Edited by Zeppa
  • Like 2

It's not being released tomorrow, lol.

Why are you doingh thish, shir? Why do you have to come in here and spoil my mood? Ish thish your way of g-getting out of your r-responsibilitiesh? Ish thish the way you.. act?

Edited by HumanBeing25

I think you're taking a reasonable stance on this. I, for one, am totally lost as to how something that seemed weeks away I now feel is months away. I've adamantly argued for people to be patient and I've relentlessly supported the team having no release date... but like back at E3 or wherever it was it was almost laughable for Rocket to think the game would take more than two months before an alpha could be released. The vibe I'm getting now is it could take much longer. Release went from imminent- just have to get rid of some game breaking bugs- to game release completely unknown because we always have new game breaking bugs that make the game unplayable. 

Someone please correct me and clarify the current state of development. The devblog just confused me as to how such a big step back has taken place. I'll always be able to patiently wait for release but now I feel there isn't even a window for release, even a big one (and the window of possibility has always been big!). 

EDIT: And I also would like to add that I'm also completely lost as to how we got a video of new zombie tracking back in March and how much better it was already, to zombies are 0% complete.

Again, I think people are over-analysing things. From my point of view, I took that "0%" claim as being a figure of speech and a gauge of how Rocket himself sees the zombies currently as opposed to in the future...Obviously we've all seen the pathfinding dev blog so work has been done but for Rocket to claim that they're nowhere near finished should be nothing but good news for everyone concerned.. I sincerely doubt anyone would be happy if zombies never progress beyond their current state, both in the pre-alpha and mod. You also have to take into account that his response was on reddit, answering ANOTHER question about zombies (to add to the other hundred he gets daily). I'm sure it's pretty demoralising putting in so much work and creating a dev blog to specifically showcase playable multiplayer, only for people to complete miss the point and grill him about other issues. 

As for why they haven't been the focus of any major development, Rocket has said over and over that the only thing holding back the alpha release is core functionality. Zombies aren't classed under that umbrella. Once the architecture and network bubble are completely solved, the alpha will be released and large scale testing will begin. For people to claim that radios and whatnot are either holding back release or preventing work being done on more pressing issues such as the zombies is ridiculous. There are a number of things that need to be in place before actual work can start, with the architecture being paramount. Did people miss the tweet the other day showing how player animations were fecked because of networking issues? The fact of the matter is that the zombies will be a work in progress, Rocket has always stated that. While he and others wait on the network bubble, etc. to be completed (as he's obviously not the main coder behind it) he's working on other things that, at this point in time, are available for him to work on.

Again to think that radios (in which the only evidence we've seen that work is ongoing is a submission form), the ability to write on objects (which would take a couple of hours max to implement), etc. is preventing more important development is a ridiculous notion. He can't work on something that doesn't have stable code behind it, it'd be a waste of time..

Edited by CapricornOne
  • Like 6

I'm not moaning about what Rocket is doing but you are talking utter bollocks in saying that what he is doing is not affecting development of core functionality. If he wanted the game out ASAP then he would be concentrating on core functionality and NOTHING else. Writing on bottles, radios, motorbike helmets, combining maps, finding beans in cupboards, etc is all extra features that has nothing to do with why we are waiting for the standalone release. Along with being on Twitter and Reddit all the time, doing interviews, dev blogs, etc. The time spent in the last year on things not part of core functionality must be astronomical.

It's his game though so he can do as he pleases. He seems to work the way I would too. He obviously loves this game and enjoys getting involved in all aspects of it no matter how big or small. If this means progress is slowed down but the game goes the exact direction he wants then so be it.

All I know is that I can't wait for it, and it's going the way I want. :D

• Like 1

I'm not moaning about what Rocket is doing but you are talking utter bollocks in saying that what he is doing is not affecting development of core functionality. If he wanted the game out ASAP then he would be concentrating on core functionality and NOTHING else. Writing on bottles, radios, motorbike helmets, combining maps, finding beans in cupboards, etc is all extra features that has nothing to do with why we are waiting for the standalone release.

I think you're under the impression that Rocket is blowing off development of core functionality in order to work on those frivolous features.. He's not. Rocket isn't working on the network bubble..nor was he working on the MMO architecture afaik. You do realise that there is more than one person working on the game right? He's simply working on features that he can while he Waits for that core functionality to be implemented. Or would you rather he do nothing at all?  :huh:

That's what I got from every single one of Rocket's updates where he's solely mentioned everything HE'S worked on thus far..

• Like 5

I'm not moaning about what Rocket is doing but you are talking utter bollocks in saying that what he is doing is not affecting development of core functionality. If he wanted the game out ASAP then he would be concentrating on core functionality and NOTHING else. Writing on bottles, radios, motorbike helmets, combining maps, finding beans in cupboards, etc is all extra features that has nothing to do with why we are waiting for the standalone release. Along with being on Twitter and Reddit all the time, doing interviews, dev blogs, etc.

Not really, you can't throw artists and designers at a programming issue, different people are working on different things at the same time, doing what they are good at. It could take months for some core functionality to be completed by a programmer before it can be handed off to a designer, in the mean time they have people working on other stuff while they wait for that core functionality to be completed. Things aren't held back so they can be released in order of priority. If something is completed it is put in the game. Often the high priority tasks can take longer than the lower priority ones.

Edited by SmashT
  • Like 3

Things aren't held back so they can be released in order of priority. Often the high priority tasks can take longer than the lower priority ones.

Succinctly summed up  :beans:

I find it crazy how some peeps seem to think it's somehow being intentionally held back because of some sadistic urge to watch us squirm.  Crazy.  I bet out of everyone in the world right now the no.1 guy that's the most frustrated that it isn't out yet is Rocket. 

• Like 3

I find it crazy how some peeps seem to think it's somehow being intentionally held back because of some sadistic urge to watch us squirm.  Crazy.  I bet out of everyone in the world right now the no.1 guy that's the most frustrated that it isn't out yet is Rocket. 

Or is he...

laugh.jpeg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpeg

• Like 3

Anywho, back on topic

I needed an efficient system for the server to manage things like injuries, diseases, infections, ailments, and etc... on the player. It also needed to be scalable, and generic so it could be used for many things. It also needed to easily save it's state the the database and result on loading. The system I came up with allowed an ailment to have many states, and progress through them (or not at all).

Don't have much time to explain, but here's a sample of a head injury modifer (it's a WIP...):

class HeadInjury: Default //Trauma

{

class Stages

{

class 1: DefaultStage //immediate

{

duration[] = {minute,3 * minute};

conscious = false;

};

class 2: 1 //post

{

duration[] = {minute,10 * minute};

conscious = true;

messages[] = {nausea,headache,dizziness,badtaste};

sounds[] = {}; //sounds to play randomly

actions[] = {"vomiting"}; //can randomly occur

track = "tinnitus"; //plays constantly

};

class 3: 2 //longterm

{

duration[] = {hour,2 * hour};

messages[] = {nausea,headache,dizziness,tired};

sounds[] = {}; //sounds to play randomly

actions[] = {}; //can randomly occur

track = ""; //plays constantly

};

};

};

Head trauma? Nausea,headache,dizziness, vomiting? Tinnitus? Sounds sweet!

Edited by CapricornOne

Anywho, back on topic

Head trauma? Nausea,headache,dizziness, vomiting? Tinnitus? Sounds sweet!

ask him about the 10 minutes! ask him! i dare you! ;)

• Like 1

Again to think that radios (in which the only evidence we've seen that work is ongoing is a submission form), the ability to write on objects (which would take a couple of hours max to implement), etc. is preventing more important development is a ridiculous notion. He can't work on something that doesn't have stable code behind it, it'd be a waste of time..

And who says this exactly ? I think you need to take a course in reading comprehension .  And even if this was said how does it differ to your paragraphs of assumptions ?

And who says this exactly ? I think you need to take a course in reading comprehension .  And even if this was said how does it differ to your paragraphs of assumptions ?

Makes you wonder if working on things like Radios, Ability to write on Bottles ( ohh dear ) , and many other things I could mention, actually stop the Zombies being worked on.

:huh: Wut? Am I missing something here? And what assumptions?

C'mon son, the label writing thing was on the first page of this thread and the radios are old news..

C'mon son, the label writing thing was on the first page of this thread and the radios are old news..

SON lmfao are you kidding me  .

I was referring to this  "Again to think that radios (in which the only evidence we've seen that work is ongoing is a submission form), the ability to write on objects (which would take a couple of hours max to implement), etc. is preventing more important development is a ridiculous notion

My point being who said that adding Radios etc is preventing more development . SO who had this "ridiculous notion"  ?

SON lmfao are you kidding me  .

I was referring to this  "Again to think that radios (in which the only evidence we've seen that work is ongoing is a submission form), the ability to write on objects (which would take a couple of hours max to implement), etc. is preventing more important development is a ridiculous notion

My point being who said that adding Radios etc is preventing more development . SO who had this "ridiculous notion"  ?

Are you being intentionally dense?  :huh: 

Makes you wonder if working on things like Radios, Ability to write on Bottles ( ohh dear ) , and many other things I could mention, actually stop the Zombies being worked on.

You did... Else why bring it up in the first place?  :|

Cleaning my apartment then it's time for some more work on the modifiers system, to enable diseases and other buffs/debuffs. #DayZDaily

Makes you wonder if things like cleaning his apartment, and many other things I could mention, actually prevent more important aspects of the game being worked on..  :rolleyes:

• Like 4

I agree,Rocket should stop living his life and make us a game... Dead serious duh!

Makes you wonder if things like cleaning his apartment, and many other things I could mention, actually prevent more important aspects of the game being worked on..  :rolleyes:

Makes you wonder where Matt is if he has to clean it himself.

• Like 7