BookBurning

More antiquated yet effective weapons.

Looks unscoped to me, and it's a full-length Mauser, not the K98K. I hope most of the weapons are along these lines, "no advanced weapons", etc...

e3Lon9q.png

Assault rifles? Pffft, who needs them. That reminds me, I hope they fix the damages a bit... right now full-sized rifle cartridges are king, there shouldn't be such a massive difference. Most any bullet should be quite deadly.

I thought it was scoped, i have seen that kind of rifle before, i never saw the image close up so i thought it was a KAR 98.

Edited by King of kong

Also Chenarus is based on the Czech Republic. Just pointing that out...

Well, the terrain is - but the Czech language does not use the Cyrillic alphabet.

Mauser is already made but won't be in the initial release of SA. There will be assault rifles.  As for the Mosin...

Shhh...don't tell anybody I showed you these ;)

http://puu.sh/3huFD

http://puu.sh/3hvKz

http://puu.sh/3hvrD

The Chernarus of DayZ is a fictitious creation that’s "generic country with significant Russian influence in its past" that more recently has had a great influence from the West. Its not unlike Czech Republic in that regard and so when myself and Ivan Buchta (our ambassador to Chernarus) created the wish lists of weapons, gear, and player clothing, it was done with that in mind. 

I even went so far as to gather gun ownership statistics in CR, which, incidentally, has some of the most accommodating gun laws for civilian ownership in Europe.  What I found was that CR is ranked in the top third of gun owners per capita.  There's approximately 300k registered gun owners who own ~700k firearms between them.  This doesn't include those with illegal guns and you can bet there are a fair number of those too.  This contained the greatest variety and can include anything from AR15s to civilianized AKs (such as Vepr), Glocks, Desert Eagles...pretty much anything you can think of can be found in the country.  Next is the police - there's ~42k police officers in the CR and they seem to use both western and eastern weapons. I've found pics of SWAT-style units in Prague with MP5k and MP5s, Glocks, Benelli shotguns, and an assortment of CZ pistols, SMGs, and rifles (of course).  Last comes military and there's ~23k soldiers. These guys use anything from your assorted CZ arms like the police, as well as M4 variants, M60s, MP5SDs, SVDs, OP96s, some tricked out Sako rifles, etc... and I think this type of model (although we can embellish the selection of specific things  with specific ‘types of things’) is a good one to follow.

So I'm looking at these stats and I read comments on the forum and I wonder "do people think DayZ is set during the Cold War era". Then I would understand why most guns need to be Eastern-ish, historic peculiarities.  But if DayZ is set in the present day (or slight future), then it’s totally appropriate to have an eclectic mixture of things.

There will be some older, historic firearms from the East, like the Mosin, and some newer ones from the West, like a customizable M4. If I recall, the weapon list is ~50% "eastern stuff" so its not exactly a Russian gun enthusiasts wet dream but I hope that which was chosen will appeal to a broad range of people. 

• Like 15

Mauser is already made but won't be in the initial release of SA. There will be assault rifles.  As for the Mosin...

is something beautiful this gun and mechanic for bolt action  :beans:

is ok we say nothing, lip is seal for sure ^_^

Edited by KoS

The Chernarus of DayZ is a fictitious creation that’s "generic country with significant Russian influence in its past" that more recently has had a great influence from the West. Its not unlike Czech Republic in that regard and so when myself and Ivan Buchta (our ambassador to Chernarus) created the wish lists of weapons, gear, and player clothing, it was done with that in mind. 

I even went so far as to gather gun ownership statistics in CR, which, incidentally, has some of the most accommodating gun laws for civilian ownership in Europe.  What I found was that CR is ranked in the top third of gun owners per capita.  There's approximately 300k registered gun owners who own ~700k firearms between them.  This doesn't include those with illegal guns and you can bet there are a fair number of those too.  This contained the greatest variety and can include anything from AR15s to civilianized AKs (such as Vepr), Glocks, Desert Eagles...pretty much anything you can think of can be found in the country.  Next is the police - there's ~42k police officers in the CR and they seem to use both western and eastern weapons. I've found pics of SWAT-style units in Prague with MP5k and MP5s, Glocks, Benelli shotguns, and an assortment of CZ pistols, SMGs, and rifles (of course).  Last comes military and there's ~23k soldiers. These guys use anything from your assorted CZ arms like the police, as well as M4 variants, M60s, MP5SDs, SVDs, OP96s, some tricked out Sako rifles, etc... and I think this type of model (although we can embellish the selection of specific things  with specific ‘types of things’) is a good one to follow.

So I'm looking at these stats and I read comments on the forum and I wonder "do people think DayZ is set during the Cold War era". Then I would understand why most guns need to be Eastern-ish, historic peculiarities.  But if DayZ is set in the present day (or slight future), then it’s totally appropriate to have an eclectic mixture of things.

There will be some older, historic firearms from the East, like the Mosin, and some newer ones from the West, like a customizable M4. If I recall, the weapon list is ~50% "eastern stuff" so its not exactly a Russian gun enthusiasts wet dream but I hope that which was chosen will appeal to a broad range of people. 

That's a wide assortment! But yeah just because it's an Eastern European country doesn't mean they can only use Russian weapons.

Also I have a Mosin Nagant ( or moist nugget :D ) in real life and that is a rediculously accurate and extremely realistic model of one. Awesome work!

I have used a Lee Enfield in real life and they kick like a mule and let off an extremely load bang, make it like that in the standalone please.

NO!  Don't go away magic Information Fairy!  Come back to us!

• Like 3

I have used a Lee Enfield in real life and they kick like a mule and let off an extremely load bang, make it like that in the standalone please.

Probably quite similar to the Mosin. In the mod I believe the Lee is one of the loudest weapons in the game. Not sure though.

Probably quite similar to the Mosin. In the mod I believe the Lee is one of the loudest weapons in the game. Not sure though.

it ain't called the dinner bell for nothing

• Like 1

Mosin's are extremely loud in real life and as hope they are in the SA. Wouldn't be the same without the BOOOOOOM! haha

I have used it and in the DayZ mod it is not very loud, just alerts infected

That is one good-looking Mosin...

Was just about to mention this... Good research, thank you.  PS... ummm what's it look like low-poly?

Hello there

Great models, lovely textures.

Also, damn you and your facts, let me live in my cold war past, I was young and beautiful then...

I suppose one could argue that eastern block weapons *feel* more suited to the DAYZ ethos even if it's a bit of a stereotype (and if I were in charge it's a bit of artistic licence I'd enforce) but with your dirty and evils facts I suppose western weapons are applicable.

I suppose I'm a bit worn out with mp5's and m4's etc.

Regardless, if the models are as lovely as the mosin, then splendid, Ill be a happy camper.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 4

I suppose one could argue that eastern block weapons *feel* more suited to the DAYZ ethos even if it's a bit of a stereotype (and if I were in charge it's a bit of artistic licence I'd enforce) but with your dirty and evils facts I suppose western weapons are applicable.

I suppose we all have our differing visions of Chernarus... also I would guess no one had given a great deal of thought to civilian weapons before DayZ, seeing as that was never an issue in ArmA 2 ("armed civilians" had AKs and CZ550s, and that was it). It reminds me of a variety of influences from various places all mixed together.

Chernarus looks like a place where residents wouldn't have a great deal of income... I hope we won't be seeing Desert Eagles in the standalone. I would definitely like to see a larger selection of hunting rifles, the CZ is okay (although it's kind of odd) but I'd enjoy some rifles from companies like Tikka, Sako, Remington, Sauer, Blaser, Browning, Benelli, etc, sporterized 6.5x55, as well as over/under shotguns and whatever's fairly common in Europe.

Last comes military and there's ~23k soldiers. These guys use anything from your assorted CZ arms like the police, as well as M4 variants, M60s, MP5SDs, SVDs, OP96s, some tricked out Sako rifles, etc...

Heheheh although in South Zagoria during the ArmA 2 campaign, the army used Kalashnikovs, PK series machine guns, SVDs and... not too much else.

• Like 1

Heheheh although in South Zagoria during the ArmA 2 campaign, the army used Kalashnikovs, PK series machine guns, SVDs and... not too much else.

That's partly what I meant by saying we can substitute specific 'things' with specific 'types of things'  For example, the substitution of VZ58 for AKs since they are similar rifles filling a similar role (I know they function differently internally but that has no real impact on gameplay).  In this way, the setting appears to be more Russian, despite it actually being inspired a bit more by the Czech Republic.

As for the small selection available in A2, I think you would agree that for the sake of making an entire spin off game, DayZ needs to put a bit more thought into the setting than the A2 team had to.  For the scope of that campaign, a pretext for war in "generic eastern European country" was sufficient - and anyways, the back story reminds me of what would become a real life flashpoint in the western-phillic Republic of Georgia.   I hope the fans will agree that we are not stretching too far.  

That's partly what I meant by saying we can substitute specific 'things' with specific 'types of things'  For example, the substitution of VZ58 for AKs since they are similar rifles filling a similar role (I know they function differently internally but that has no real impact on gameplay).  In this way, the setting appears to be more Russian, despite it actually being inspired a bit more by the Czech Republic.

As for the small selection available in A2, I think you would agree that for the sake of making an entire spin off game, DayZ needs to put a bit more thought into the setting than the A2 team had to.  For the scope of that campaign, a pretext for war in "generic eastern European country" was sufficient - and anyways, the back story reminds me of what would become a real life flashpoint in the western-phillic Republic of Georgia.   I hope the fans will agree that we are not stretching too far. 

All you need to have "western" weapons is to say that they asked for the U.S. or another western country's help when the outbreak occurred. And then they all died. 

All you need to have "western" weapons is to say that they asked for the U.S. or another western country's help when the outbreak occurred. And then they all died. 

Pretty much the truth.  I mean after all, there is the black market.  While AK style guns are the 'most popular' guns on the black market, they aren't the only ones.  AKs and M16s would be the most common guns for us to find (after all there was a war fought in the area recently right?) just for the fact that Army's are pretty lousy with keeping track of loose guns, not to mention sometimes Armies (particularly the US) just sell their equipment off after a war to the locals rather than pay money to have them shipped back (and that's not even counting a true black market where things just 'go missing' or are outright stolen/lost)  I for one, and at least a few others, just don't want to see 'off the wall' guns that make no sense as to how they got there (I don't have a link but there was a heated discussion about about AA12s in the same respect)  I'm not saying I don't want to find a gold plated AKM or Desert Eagle in Chenarus, I just don't want to find a prototype gun where only 10 were made, 9 were destroyed, and the last one is hanging up on the gun maker's wall just because it's a cool gun.

I live in the US, (Hawaii specifically) where some people still got their great great grand pappy's old Kentucky rifle, or grandpa's old M1 Garand, or the Chinese AK Uncle Bob brought back from Vietnam piece by piece in the mail that they occasionally take out to or just shoot with.  Im sure in Europe the same thing happens a bit, (The Mauser great grandpa took off a dead nazi that he used for hunting after getting out of the army, the crate of AKMs Uncle Vasily asked your dad to hide under the floorboards from him because they we're about to be demiled so on so fourth).

Yep, it definitely has to be looked at far more in-depth due to the nature of DayZ. I have been reading Georgian gun blogs lately and they do seem to have a fair amount of Western rifles from the big companies.

However, looking at the DayZ mod, there are many more Western guns than Eastern guns and I feel a lot of it simply doesn't make sense - for example, why so many USMC DMRs and barely any SVDs (basic non-camo SVD isn't even in mod) ? Another example would be the lack of the PKM.

So for the standalone, where the team has been able to make any new weapons they choose, I just hope the weapons list makes sense (fitting the realistic nature of the game) without requiring any great suspension of disbelief.

I don't need every weapon to be over 30 years old with Cyrillic markings. :lol: