Legoroxby

Straight edge razor uses

Alright, so the other day I was looting a gas station and found a straight edge razor. I was like,'hey, I found a weapon!' But actually it does nothing. I was thinking that it could be used as a mele weapon with limited uses. It could also replace the hunting knife for gutting animals, but again with limited uses. Maybe you could throw them?

• Like 2

But how many slashes would it really take to kill you, since we already have bandages that stop any bleeding?

You can't throw a straight razor and expect it to actually do any damage, just trust me on that one. It's also not good for much apart from shaving since the edge is so thin. The steel behind the edge can be thinner than a sheet of paper. Cut "knife type" things and you'd dull, chip or otherwise deform it almost immediately.

Also in America their use as a weapon was associated with African-Americans.

I don't see any use for them apart from shaving, which isn't something you can even do in DayZ. I also think straight razors are an extremely odd lot choice - seriously, who came up with that idea and what in the world were they thinking?

They are for Beard maintenance. Very important in an apocalypse.

I am sure it will be in an upcoming patch.

• Like 5

They are for Beard maintenance.

But that would ruin The Fellowship of the Beard!

But that would ruin The Fellowship of the Beard!

Trimming only.

Removal of the beard results in instant dismissal from the Fellowship.

Dismissal being death of course.

• Like 2

Edged weapons are a bit overhyped since they are the "cool" hollywood weapons. If you don't know what you are doing you are more likely just cutting up your victim in minutes rather than killing him in seconds if you are not dead already because your opponent could draw a firearm. Throwing a knife in a show at a more or less static target in a calm environment and throwing a knife in combat at a target that evades and blocks are two different things.

You can't throw a straight razor and expect it to actually do any damage, just trust me on that one. It's also not good for much apart from shaving since the edge is so thin. The steel behind the edge can be thinner than a sheet of paper. Cut "knife type" things and you'd dull, chip or otherwise deform it almost immediately.

Also in America their use as a weapon was associated with African-Americans.

I don't see any use for them apart from shaving, which isn't something you can even do in DayZ. I also think straight razors are an extremely odd lot choice - seriously, who came up with that idea and what in the world were they thinking?

like i said they could have like one use, and slitting a throat with a razor would be devastating

like i said they could have like one use, and slitting a throat with a razor would be devastating

That is true, however you have to be able to reach their throat first, I imagine that would be rather difficult (I've never tried it).

I also think shooting someone in the heart with a makarov would kill them, but you can just bandage it up..

I was going to post a new thread about this suggestion but I might as well try to necro this one...

What do people think about the razor enabling the player to perform some kind of melee instant kill (eg a "slit throat" command when mouse-over a player) it could be balanced easy enough - some kind of animation that breaks if either player moves away, akin to a blood transfusion, but if neither player moves then the unsuspecting player (read:sniper) gets instantly killed, completely silently. Could be a cool addition to the game... people would try to sneak up on others... Espionage is a style of play that a lot of people would like to employ in DayZ but there isn't much to enable it. And if this was in the game, you'd be a lot more cautious about alt-tabbing around so called 'friendly's to check DayZDB or something. haha.

Straight edge razors are made of very thin and very sharp "mild steel", it's made for cutting beards... It's gonna chip and bend on anything harder.

Hello there,

Straight razors are not great for anything other than slicing. Could they be useful in surgery?

I doubt one would have any appreciable effect on an infected.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

I'm not suggesting you hack away at infected, or players, attempting to slice and dice with the razor like you're a yakuza gang member in the movies or something. I'm suggesting it gives you an instant kill option (only on players)... Surely neck meat isn't impenetrable to thin razors...

Edited by OEM

I'm not suggesting you hack away at infected, or players attempting to slice and dice with the razor like you're a yakuza gang member in the movies or something. I'm suggesting it gives you an instant kill option (only on players)... Surely neck meat isn't impenetrable to thin razors...

You could make short work o a person with a straight razor, yea it would be great for throat slitting, hell a scalpel blade works fine for that for that matter. ( disclaimer, assuming a goats throat is similar to a persons throat, ive never cut a persons throat ;) ) They would be a lethal weapon against soft tissue. A tendon slashing, vein slitting, artery cutting lil beast, so arms, legs, throats. But too hard to make that shit work in game i would think, you would need a pretty complex close combat system.

Edited by KingOchaos

No instant kill animations, please, it just seems way too gamey (like a "finishing move").

Any weapon should have to be aimed for best results and a straight razor will take a lot of slashing to actually kill someone.

Eg:

"Sutton hauled away and cuffed the negro in the face. Lee then pulled out a razor and began carving Sutton, and Sutton reached in his hip pocket to pull his pistol, but Lee caught his wrist with his left hand and prevented him from drawing it, while with his right he slashed Sutton pretty severely, cutting his throat to rags and making three long deep gashes across the back and left side, and also cutting his left ear nearly off his head. "

He survived.

Pffft no way. It'd be easy to implement. if player has tool - razor, then mouseover option "cut throat"

player initiates action, if other player moves, action cancelled if not, other player is killed. Same for cutting tendons. Instead of the "cut throat" option you have something like "cut achilles" and then instead of killing the player, the broken leg status is applied. EZ

I don't mind the idea of using them for medical purposes, but maybe you should have to sterilise them first? I wouldn't trust a guy with a razor blade he found on the ground who's about to perform surgery on me.

Pffft no way. It'd be easy to implement. if player has tool - razor, then mouseover option "cut throat"

player initiates action, if other player moves, action cancelled if not, other player is killed.

Can I get that with a sniper? Use option "shoot target", rifle automatically calculates firing solution and shoots, if target moves, round misses.

Straight razors are not great for anything other than slicing. Could they be useful in surgery?

You kind of just blew my mind with that comment. I've been thinking on a intuitive and gameplay efficient surgery system for some time, but I hadn't even considered that as a possibility.