5 members have voted

1. 1. Place holder poll: to allow people vote on layouts after, suggestions have been made.

• Post Your suggestion?
    • Place holder choice

Based on the new information coming out of E3; I've came up with a few ideas on potential control configurations for the default keybinding's in Stand-Alone.

I'll suggest my own personal preferences bellow using a visual aid:

I'd also like to see other peoples suggestions for SA and any set ups you're currently using for the mod.

Bellow I've provide a link; with an image of a pretty standardised Keyboard layout for windows: http://goo.gl/w9M69

If people could use the image to create a presentation of their own suggestions; I'm sure it would be useful to developers and also interesting for me.

sorry mate, what wrong with the controls as-is?

sorry mate, what wrong with the controls as-is?

The controls configuration used in the mod are designed for Arma 2. Controls will be reconfigured anyway for Stand-Alone; any suggestions made now, may help determine the best default set up.

Hello there

For me, part of the joy of Arma etc is the fact I can remap the keys however I want to whatever peripheral I want. I've not used a default layout for some years.

Apart from some keys being redundant in the SA I also dont see how they can be drastically improved. Or have I missed the point?

Rgds

LoK

• Like 3

This my suggestion for a new layout; based on what I've seen of the latest build of DayZ.

Features in the game have changed; some controls will be altered to accommodate these new features.

post-50947-0-22773100-1371159953_thumb.j

Hello there

For me, part of the joy of Arma etc is the fact I can remap the keys however I want to whatever peripheral I want. I've not used a default layout for some years.

Apart from some keys being redundant in the SA I also dont see how they can be drastically improved. Or have I missed the point?

Rgds

LoK

Clearly the Dev team won't take away your ability to bind your own keys but the game is completely different now; thus it needs a new default layout to account for the redundancies and for new features not accounted for in the mod and Arma 2.

I don't get the point of this thread... I thought you could do your own key binding on pretty much every game for the PC

• Like 1

I don't get the point of this thread... I thought you could do your own key binding on pretty much every game for the PC

Do people not read others comments: the game is going to release with some sort of default control scheme and it won't be the one that you get with Arma 2 because it's a different type of game. There's a whole new set of mechanics that need to be accounted for and the default layout is likely to have a massive impact on the way the game feels and is played.

The purpose of this post; is to evaluate the best default scheme for this type of game, taking into account the way it is played and the new features that have changed the experience.

Here's something I made a while back for a suggestion about making the life of a complete noob easier. I just kind of messed around with the controls to make something that might be remotely similar to the SA. Might as well post it here:

OjMq0Iq.jpg

Obviously, a lots changed since then, but I just posted it here for fun.

Edited by colekern

Here's something I made a while back for a suggestion about making the life of a complete noob easier. I just kind of messed around with the controls to make something that might be remotely similar to the SA. Might as well post it here

Great Thanks for the entry; I'll add it to the poll once I have more than just your's and my own suggestions to to take a poll with.

Great Thanks for the entry; I'll add it to the poll once I have more than just your's and my own suggestions to to take a poll with.

When I get photoshop reinstalled I'll probably put some real effort into one.

Clearly the Dev team won't take away your ability to bind your own keys but the game is completely different now; thus it needs a new default layout to account for the redundancies and for new features not accounted for in the mod and Arma 2.

People should learn to customize their layout and memorize it and not dumb down and use the predefined keys. Every time i am asked what key does what even though those guys play default keys for years and are practically the same in every game...

I notice you've both put Left Ctrl as raise/lower weapon. (I know your example's from a while back, Cole)

We're going to have stance-adjust similar to ArmA3 IIRC (briefly mentioned at E3), so I assume LCtrl will be default-bound to that.

We have to wait and see whether or not we have a seperate "grenade" key, among other things.

Quite a lot of little changes between ArmA2 and 3.

I agree with the folks who are saying to custom-bind your keys, but sensible defaults are still necessary.

It makes sense to make them make sense. If that makes any sense.

Hello there

I've not used a default layout for some years.

People should learn to customize their layout and memorize it and not dumb down and use the predefined keys.

I don't really get the thread either. Why even start with default when you can customise to your own preference ? Done it since day 1 of gaming..when i was a nooby mcnoobsta.

• Like 1

I notice you've both put Left Ctrl as raise/lower weapon. (I know your example's from a while back, Cole)

We're going to have stance-adjust similar to ArmA3 IIRC (briefly mentioned at E3), so I assume LCtrl will be default-bound to that.

We have to wait and see whether or not we have a seperate "grenade" key, among other things.

Quite a lot of little changes between ArmA2 and 3.

I agree with the folks who are saying to custom-bind your keys, but sensible defaults are still necessary.

It makes sense to make them make sense. If that makes any sense.

WASD never made any sense to me but it is default since forever :) Maybe it's just me.

WASD never made any sense to me but it is default since forever :) Maybe it's just me.

I still remember being amazed by using the mouse to aim in Duke Nukem 3D.

lol..advancements were amazing huh ;)

Here's something I made a while back for a suggestion about making the life of a complete noob easier. I just kind of messed around with the controls to make something that might be remotely similar to the SA. Might as well post it here:

OjMq0Iq.jpg

I could not game like that but then again my setup is probably no good for you either..customisation is king. I hate having to chase keys so always have my setups for fps type games based around the arrows (movement) were everything is easy to find without ever having to look or run across a keyboard.

1fz5f6.jpg

Edited by Hetstaine

I'm hoping we get at least the same amount of customisation as the ArmA games. More even.

Having F1-12 and number keys locked always annoyed me. (not much of a problem since we won't have NPC commands)

3 buttons for 3 stances never really suited me either.

I've been using Ctrl to crouch, Shift+Ctrl to prone. A toggle-crouch would be spot-on for me.

• Like 1

I thought there was a toggle ? Maybe i am having a moment.. i would like at least F9 through 12 opened up too please Dean :)

Do people not read others comments: the game is going to release with some sort of default control scheme and it won't be the one that you get with Arma 2 because it's a different type of game. There's a whole new set of mechanics that need to be accounted for and the default layout is likely to have a massive impact on the way the game feels and is played.

The purpose of this post; is to evaluate the best default scheme for this type of game, taking into account the way it is played and the new features that have changed the experience.

I get your point, but I still don't get the need for this, ,let rocket do whatever he wants, if you don't like it, change it.

I get your point, but I still don't get the need for this, ,let rocket do whatever he wants, if you don't like it, change it.

Yes that's fair enough but the suggestion section wouldn't exist; if this game were being developed, entirely without the input of forum's members.

Did you not read the part about: how feature can have an impact on controls and the overall feel of the game. One of the reasons this thread exists; is to discuss the implications of including/omitting different features in relation to controls. Such as in Arma 2 the numbers 0-9 were locked out of the custom control set; reserved for commands.

Here's a list of potential design implications:

• Would full control customisation; leave the game open to exploitation
  • Should items on the tool bar; be individually mapped
  • Should stance's be individually mapped or toggled between
  • What features should allow for locking/toggling (maybe toggle forward should be add for infinite running)
  • Maybe there's a design choice that could decrease the number of keys being occupied unnecessarily and free up some other key bindings for the players to more freely use

The point is; deciding what not to leave open to player choice is equally as important as devising innovative solutions to having lots of bound keys. Ultimately I think remapping keys should be left to the player but you have to make a decisions that keeps exploits from arising and features that help in managing of a multitude of control layouts.

Example:

Instead of taking up several keys to do multiple functions; you could use the same two keys by being able to toggle between different features that aren't in use simultaneously. For instance you don't have a sets of movement keys for each stance (that's ludicrous) you have a key to toggle between stances. The same idea can be applied to the "tool bar" as suggested on my suggestion for a control layout; by having two keys to cycle through options, then having it corresponded to whatever is currently selected in the tool bar (such as the zeroing on your weapon, to the frequency's used by your radio; both of which are not likely being used at the same time)

Hopefully this gives you a better understanding of what I mean by control layout; the design of control mapping goes much deeper than just where keys are bound.

Well...as long as the game must have 50 keys i'm all for it...one game less for the console lol... ;)

G for grenade... Oh god, this will end badly.

Did we learn nothing form ArmA 3?

Did we learn nothing form ArmA 3?

That may or may not be the reason I don't play the game. :P