RollingLizard1

Remove gamma and brightness settings

stop worrying about other little geeks all the time and enjoy your F**king game. Its ridiculous moaning about tiny advantages,
Do nighttime the arma 3 way and stop moaning.

Ne0

but to be frank, if you have to adjust a setting to actually be able to play a game, its not the player that is at fault but the game itself (edit: of course I don't mean performance wise cause that can be down to the hardware of the player)

I disagree, I like a pitch black night. It just shows the player cannot handle not seeing and needs hand-holding by the game, that was designed to be pitch black. If you want to 'cheat' ruin immersion and crank up settings, Thats on you, not the game.

I downloaded a mod for skyrim called Darker nights, which makes the nights properly black, because at night without light guess how it is?

I disagree, I like a pitch black night. It just shows the player cannot handle not seeing and needs hand-holding by the game, that was designed to be pitch black. If you want to 'cheat' ruin immersion and crank up settings, Thats on you, not the game.

I downloaded a mod for skyrim called Darker nights, which makes the nights properly black, because at night without light guess how it is?

I get what you are saying, but if I wanted to stare at a black screen I could turn my monitor off and randomly wiggle my mouse and it would have the same effect. That isn't really what I want from a game. 

I'm not saying you should be able to see perfectly at night, or even well. But pitch black renders it unplayable for me. 

I think it should be first person only, night forever, with a twenty to one zombie-to-player ratio where zombies can kill you with one hit and a fifty-fifty chance that you'll die every five seconds for no reason whatsoever. Every night is so cold you freeze to death if you don't run constantly, and if you want to kill anything you have to gouge out their eyeballs with a spork. Also you're lactose intolerant and 3/4 of the available food and drinks on the server include dairy. There. THAT'S hardcore and if you don't want to play that way you're a pansy and have no more right to live on this planet than a geriatric hamster.

Having different servers set for different difficulty and day/night preferences would just be too simple an answer, I suppose.

• Like 1

Make night time realistic then sure. Right now absolute pitch black is not realistic at all. Go outside at night wait 5-10mins for your eyes to adjust and you can see WAY more then you can in dayz.

Night time should look like this http://i.imgur.com/mBziYT5h.jpg

You can see easily at night when theres a full moon.

Make night time realistic then sure. Right now absolute pitch black is not realistic at all. Go outside at night wait 5-10mins for your eyes to adjust and you can see WAY more then you can in dayz.

Night time should look like this http://i.imgur.com/mBziYT5h.jpg

You can see easily at night when theres a full moon.

I seen that picture before and posted my own iteration of it, just dropped saturation down a bit. I agree with you 100% about it not being realistic at night. I've been all over to places with the same environment as DayZ and I definitely think the game just can't capture what it looks like in real life especially from an outdoor lifestyle perspective. I've been able to hunt Mountain Lion in full darkness with only a half moon and gotten the shot dead on from 100 yards. There is just no way this game is reproducing real life scenarios. Our eyes can be very very powerful. For areas that have no natural or artificial light then the pitch black effect is spot on but an open town under a starry sky and I can't see literally anything, that's not very immerse. If there was snow in this game the visibility would be insane with a nice moon.

Another thing I would like to see changed is the admission of some ambient lighting when your flashlight strikes an object. Right now I can sit in a pitch black room, shine the light in a corner away from me and see everything in the room. 

This is exactly, best to my ability to represent it for me with the equipment I have (my monitor is junk), of what things look like right now with only moon lighting for the interior and the exterior, granted snow booms the light availability but snow or not you can in fact see way more things at night. I am not in a city I am isolated out from it. The only street lights that exist are on one street 3 miles from me. The rest of this place is illuminated by building lights and natural light. Where I am at I isolated everything so it was natural only. I will say though the picture of the outside did have some christmas lights but they only negatively impact what you can see, with them off you can see even better. 

11443440303_43aa6b2db4_c.jpg

11443360226_ee42831e68_c.jpg

11443268065_c59734a071_c.jpg

On this last one I couldn't get it show an equal representation of both inside and outside so it is only representative of the inside visibility. It's not that bright outside by that guys dock lighting but it's close, maybe 25% less actual light.

Edited by FireMedic772
  • Like 1

- I'd say, keep the night as it is, just a tiny bit lighter.
- Fix the lightning from lamps, and lamps in some buildings to light up cities during nighttime.

- BUFF the flashlights and/or add different types of flashlights with a better and brighter spread of the light.
- Make it so the gamma/brightness slider works like in Arma 3, in other words, the dark places stay dark.
OR
- FORCE CLOUDS, having at least the lowest setting on, makes it so you can't cheat with the gamma/brightness sliders.

- Also, FORCE SHADOWS, at least to the very lowest settings. In games like these it's VERY VERY important that all players view the world in the same way.

Edited by Wh1spY
  • Like 3

Why are people posting pictures that feature significant ambient light and local artificial light?

• Like 2

Why are people posting pictures that feature significant ambient light and local artificial light?

Because in DayZ that's what the moon (ambient) and street lights in towns (artificial) have in the game. Trying to keep it significantly realistic. It's a hugely moot point obviously but was bored and live where they don't have any street lights so it's all low power and house lighting around me which seemed perfect to compare with the game itself. 

This suggestion was originally for the mod and there's nothing anyone can do there.

Poor Necro-Thread - give it some sleep.

Edited by kichilron