Cap'n (DayZ)

DayZ Standalone map editor

I think it would be nice if Bohemia decided to create a map editor for the DayZ standalone. It could just be a copy of the Arma 3 map editor but it'd have some special textures and buidlings(ie; the revamped buildings for standalone). We could create our own custom map based off of satellite data and use some of the nice new textures that Rocket and company has made for us, and could put them to use outside of the game. What do you think?

• Like 11

Hm. I think the map editing should be left to the devs. Otherwise we'd have a whole ton of random maps on every server.

• Like 11

My dreams are crushed! Anyways, I'd prefer it to be a private hive thing. Someone could make their own private hive map, and choose to make it public or keep it to themselves. And people could choose pre built maps. The map editor would be similar to Visitor 3 or based off of Visitor 4, so it wouldn't be easy enough for any noob to make a map(probably a good thing). The map editor could have all of the new buildings pre scripted with loot spawns, and road painters and terrain painters, and the ability to place wrecks and environmental features. What's not to like?

• Like 1

What's not to like?

Take a look at the current DayZ mod.

1-5% of the servers is hosting the original mod. completely unchanged.

Even if making the map that you want means that it won't be connected to the official hive. it's not going to stop people from making their own maps or using those on their servers that are the most played. It will mean that DayZ will once again become a hive of separate communities, all prisoners to their own little servers.

Take a look at the current DayZ mod.

1-5% of the servers is hosting the original mod. completely unchanged.

Even if making the map that you want means that it won't be connected to the official hive. it's not going to stop people from making their own maps or using those on their servers that are the most played. It will mean that DayZ will once again become a hive of separate communities, all prisoners to their own little servers.

Chernarus, as awesome as it is, will get boring after a while. Is it such a bad thing splitting into different sublets of players? If we all share the same loot tables and similar buildings, whats the difference between the base map and the rest other than physical appearance. Not much if you ask me.

Chernarus, as awesome as it is, will get boring after a while. Is it such a bad thing splitting into different sublets of players? If we all share the same loot tables and similar buildings, whats the difference between the base map and the rest other than physical appearance. Not much if you ask me.

The people who can't deal with the whole "You die, you lose all your gear" thing will either start hosting, or start looking for servers that have a lot of high-end loot near the spawn locations. Not only that, but people might make entire "pvp arena" servers, where the spawns are walled off to some kind of an area with military loot spawning everywhere, with the sole intention of the players killing each other instead of zombies.

The community doesn't always know the best. It's already been proven.

Edit; And to add to that, the people who want to ensure that they actually get players for the server they probably rented off from somebody else will probably once again join in with whatever kind of servers have the most players. PvP servers always full? Make a PvP server with tons of weapons. PvE/RP servers where bandits get banned? Start doing that with your own private server. (I am assuming that server hosts will be able to ban people. Then again the whole "MMO" style would highly suggest otherwise.)

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man
  • Like 2

There needs to be some sort of way for people to create maps for the standalone.

Believe it or not, but Chernarus isn't going to be fun forever.

• Like 2

There needs to be some sort of way for people to create maps for the standalone.

Believe it or not, but Chernarus isn't going to be fun forever.

Didn't Rocket say something about new maps possibly being made specificly for the DayZ Standalone?

Not recently, but around the 1.7.2 patches or earlier?

a map editor would be nice.

don't like it?

don't play on that server.

would be cool if rocket came out with official maps of different locations!

Edited by methr1k2dop3

a map editor would be nice.

don't like it?

don't play on that server.

would be cool if rocket came out with official maps of different locations!

Having a map-editor in the Standalone would make it pretty much the same as what ARMA 2 is. Just with less scripts.

I want to play the original DayZ mod on A2:OA right now. Problem is, the hackers are plaguing the official hive, and the private hives are either very empty, have very high ping, or just aren't fun since you can't switch to another server for any reason you may have. (Server-hopping/avoiding zombies is not a reason.)

Official maps would be a way better option than an actual editor, I feel. Mainly because it would lessen the variation between servers and that way it would also make a lot more sense.

• Like 1

No techno geek, so I don't know if it's feasable, but couldn't they provide map editor for locations that they are interested to expand? The community could work on it, play-test in private hives, then the best get officially sunctioned and added to. Wouldn't this also save tons of time and make use of human resources that is ready, able and willing... for free?!

• Like 1

Having a map-editor in the Standalone would make it pretty much the same as what ARMA 2 is. Just with less scripts.

I want to play the original DayZ mod on A2:OA right now. Problem is, the hackers are plaguing the official hive, and the private hives are either very empty, have very high ping, or just aren't fun since you can't switch to another server for any reason you may have. (Server-hopping/avoiding zombies is not a reason.)

Official maps would be a way better option than an actual editor, I feel. Mainly because it would lessen the variation between servers and that way it would also make a lot more sense.

i haven't had this feel yet...

i just started a month ago and have been playing on private hives.

i would like some sorta customization, see what people can create!

So if standalone doesn't get map editor, does that mean end of other maps like Tavianna, Namalsk, Takistan etc?

So if standalone doesn't get map editor, does that mean end of other maps like Tavianna, Namalsk, Takistan etc?

Obviously they would continue their current existence within the DayZ mod on ARMA 2.

But it will probably take a long while for them to get ported, if ever.

i haven't had this feel yet...

i just started a month ago and have been playing on private hives.

i would like some sorta customization, see what people can create!

I'm not saying that customization is bad -- quite the opposite. The more freedom within a game, the better.

But I think giving people the ability to change where the loot spawns would quickly bring the Standalone to the same halt that the mod is having, with people spawning in with full-on assault-gear, night-vision goggles, etc. (Even if you couldn't change the starting gear in the Standalone.)

• Like 1

Editing the existing game/map using a map/mission editor as it can be seen on so many servers atm NO !!! Modding Support for new maps YES (as long as they do not change the vanilla game mechanics)

YES

We need more choice for the SA, the year is going to be spent with updating the SA in that time I will get bored of Chernarus. If I ever get the time to learn how to make a map from scratch that makes sense to me I will knock them out.

Back in the days of making maps for Novalogic I could make a map in a day. their tools were easy to learn and master with some really good maps being produced. More maps would only be like it is now in the community.

All these Zombie games coming out (or out) will offer something others cannot, With Bohemia and their fan base I think Mods and Maps are a natural given.

Hm. I think the map editing should be left to the devs. Otherwise we'd have a whole ton of random maps on every server.

Yep, i dont wan't a ton of missions where people make the game like they want tomake it easier and not how it should be played...omg we are beeing forced to play the game the way rocket wants....!!!! :rolleyes:

Keeping a lock on mission design also keeps key theft and hacking at bay. I heard a couple of players got their keys stolen because they downloaded alternative DayZ missions...

Edited by Enforcer

Keeping a lock on mission design also keeps key theft and hacking at bay. I heard a couple of players got their keys stolen because they downloaded alternative DayZ missions...

They didn't lose their keys because of the mission they downloaded -- because there either was no actual mod, or the key-stealer was installed alongside with it. But yes, that is a minor valid point. Then again, who says nobody is going to make a "DayZ Standalone [CRACKED]" torrent with a keystealer/malware in it?

Still, the pint is that this could save time and development money for the devs and it would also offer a way to show our creativity. Not everyone wants a pure PvP deathmatch walled in loot center. I'm actually creating a map right now, based off of Sat images of the North Carolina Piedmont. I'd love to have this map in standalone, and I think it would make the game much more creative if we could make our own maps. Say there was a small fee, or the maps are server exclusive.

Bit of an old thread here. But it is what I found in regards to a map editor for standalone.

There will be issues if there is no community made content, and there will be issues if there is. I am one that would love to make maps for standalone. Really hope for that actually. People will always make private servers with tons of loot to the point where they might as well be playing COD.... you want to force them to play vanilla? They will leave the game, eventually. So please add an editor for standalone. In the end I believe there are more positives, then negatives. Really, Arma and DayZ standalone are some of the coolest games to make maps for IMO.

You want to force them to play vanilla? They will leave the game, eventually. So please add an editor for standalone. In the end I believe there are more positives, then negatives.

The thread will probably get locked unless the discussion picks up noticeably, but..

I'm REALLY not looking to start playing the Standalone, only to have it end up like the mod, with very few servers running on the original content without added vehicles/weapons/loadouts to make the game pointlessly easy to play and a simple deathmatch mode on a massive area.

I have been against the idea, and I will not budge from my opinion. (Even if Rocket DID approve of an editor.) If people want to run around a map and pick up weapons from the ground to shoot other people, they should play Scavenge Mode on BF3 or simply the many DayZ mod variations on ARMA 2. Or hell, just play Wasteland to get rid of the zombies.

Edit;

How many games are suffering from problems due to lack of community-made content?

There will be issues if there is no community made content, and there will be issues if there is.

I choose the lesser evil and would go for either no content or at least fan made but officially approved content. Giving admins too much freedom with modding the servers would end up like it always did in ArmA and like we have now with a lot of servers...you have to get this modpack to play on that server, get that modpack to play on this server etc. Vanilla is the best for everyone. Officially approved content would be released for every server and player so everyone is on the same level and you can play on every server world wide without having to care for mods.

Edited by Enforcer

I would agree on community made content approved by the devs. If the devs are willing to do such a thing. IMO community made content is too much of a resource to close the door on. But yeah, I also would not want to see most players just creating private servers to do whatever with and not be part of the actual game. I would prefer to find just official servers to choose from with the vanilla map / content and others with community made maps / content. The reason I would like to see an editor for standalone is not to load a crappy map with tons of weapons etc.. and have a DM or TDM, I would love to see more maps added which go along with the vanilla map, meaning maps which connect with the vanilla map (not on the same server), or from different parts of the RL world. Not sure if there is much of a story in standalone, but if there was, new maps could add to that also. Anyways, my thoughts on it.

The issue of community made content is really controversial, especially on this forum. I know a lot of the people (Especially the hardcore players) do not like custom servers because they feel that it makes it too easy (Some do). Others like it because they want variation and enjoy playing different DayZ variants.

It's not an easy decision to make. Giving players the choice of playing on different maps, or variations of maps, or different types of mods with different settings creates a lot of problems, but also has benefits. Custom-content always induces the risk of hacking (Through outside means and through players taking advantage of the unofficial server), and it also does create a lot of newer players who don't exactly like the hardcore gameplay.

But, it also does bring in a lot more people, give the chance for awesome user-made content (Something that BIS games have always seemed to do), and give people a little more freedom as to how they want to play.

I'm personally for customized servers, but a lot of people aren't. (Mainly because I'm not against people who like PvP, or PvE only, or X or Y, and think they should be allowed to play that way if they can make it that way)

Edited by Chaingunfighter