Sign in to follow this  
slicshuter

Standalone Font

I hate to be picky, but I'm not the only one who hates the font used in the new DayZ Standalone right? I discussed it with some friends and they hate it too, but I don't see any discussion about it anywhere.

Is it going to be changed? I see it in the main menu and inventory screenshots and I feel like it just doesn't suit the game at all. The font looks more like it would suit some 1940s crime thriller game than a gritty zombie survival game. A grittier font, even something like the actual DayZ title.cover looks better.

post-54212-0-49460300-1370082781_thumb.p

Yes, it's more than likely going to be changed. The art team have barely touched the game at this point, it's mostly placeholders created by the coders.

I really can't believe the Reddit guys are complaining about the font in a pre-alpha build...

Edited by mZLY
  • Like 5

Needs drop shadow

It does get a bit painful to a see people tearing into an image that was clearly stated as work-in-progress for a game that is still in pre-alpha whilst completely overlooking how the new funcionality of the inventory will improve gameplay.

Don't get me wrong, I think design choices are important along with fonts used but it's a tad early to be tearing Rocket a new one.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 3

Needs drop shadow

It does get a bit painful to a see people tearing into an image that was clearly stated as work-in-progress for a game that is still in pre-alpha whilst completely overlooking how the new funcionality of the inventory will improve gameplay.

Don't get me wrong, I think design choices are important along with fonts used but it's a tad early to be tearing Rocket a new one.

And comic sans! :D

Honestly, it's like me coming into your room while you're still in bed and saying 'Mate, your hair looks like shit. Sort it out.' when the reality is that you haven't done it yet, lol.

Edited by mZLY
  • Like 5

What would you rather have, a shit looking font or an unplayable game?

What would you rather have, a shit looking font or an unplayable game?

Really?..

It may seem petty to talk about the font but it really is terrible, sadly it looks like something my dad would use.

• Like 1

Here's how it will go:.

The Art Director or graphic designer(s) will provide input at the finishing stages of the game to provide uniformity of design throughout the product. Packaging, marketing material, and in-game elements will be refined.

What you're seeing is a working placeholder. It's inefficient to waste time doing final designs on elements that are subject to change.

Edited by taco241

I dont think the font is as bad as u all seem to believe it to be.

it may not be the prettiest thing ull see in a day but, please, the game itself will make up for any such small visual discomfort.

it's like me coming into your room while you're still in bed and saying 'Mate, your hair looks like shit. Sort it out.'

yeah about that, could you stop doing that please? i've told you a thousand times that i hate it.

;)

well it could be worse, we could be using comic sans :lol:

Really?..

It may seem petty to talk about the font but it really is terrible, sadly it looks like something my dad would use.

Yes really..

I'm a part-time graphic artist myself, and I realise how painful it is to see something like a font/banner to look painfully disgusting, but I'm more focused on the core gameplay rather than any of the art at this time, it's obviously something that will be improved on, but it's not the main objective at this particular stage

I seriously don't see the problem with the font I didn't even notice it till people started bitching. Seems like an awfully frivolous thing to complain about if you ask me.....

It is a disgrace, i am boycotting Standalone and meeting up with Rhino for a coffee tomorrow. He was dead right!

I can't believe this - who uses fonts like that?

• Like 4

People are becoming impatient. Yes they SHOULD just be patient, but when something in such high demand is taking a long time to be released, people will select the finest details to complain/discuss.

Don't flame them, just let them share their opinion

IMO the font is fine but hey ho

No - when people complain about a font i can not stand by and be sensible!

Actually what i dont like is the menu, not the font xD, the font is fine to me, but i hope the ui in that photo is a placeholder

It is all liable to change (i assume, who knows) - i imagine fonts and the way menus look are probably the last thing on programmer's minds. That's what artists are for.

Honestly, it's like me coming into your room while you're still in bed and saying 'Mate, your hair looks like shit. Sort it out.' when the reality is that you haven't done it yet, lol.

I don't know why but I pictured R. Lee Ermey when I read that.

I agree that the font isn't the nicest but to change is such an easy thing to do that I'm not worried at all.