TheMachine

Why DayZ will fail as a standalone game

Not you :D

_Anubis_

I was just confused as it seemed like a over-dramatization especially because of the nature of the event.... But then i guess i am guilty of over-dramatizing often. :)

It'd be nice to see some rebuttal to the responses you received in regards to the OP...or at least a justification for this point:

That one kind of stumped me.

There's too many posts to rebut individually, but I will say this.

DayZs' scope is beyond what can be achieved with the Arma engine.

Right now we have a patchwork, something that's not quite there but could be if a few prerequisites are met, but none of those prerequisites are being actively tackled by the development team (at least not that they've stated publicly).

These include -

1. Slow load times, for a commercial game and not a niche mod, quick server loads are a MUST, people will tell their friends they can't even play the game they bought and it'll crash the sales.

2. Player count, 50-60 players (60 gets really laggy even with low ping) servers are not enough, the map feels completely empty.

Unless this can be addressed and we can have 100-200 player servers then it's just a running simulator with AI.

3. Bugs bugs and more bugs.

4. Hackers.

5. Consoles, Rocket has stated he wants to release (cash in) on DayZ on consoles, this will without a doubt (deny it all you like, Xbox crew) ruin the experience of DayZ on PC even if it's a parallel development, ie a different game altogether that doesn't mess with the PC version.

6. Rockets 2 month vacation. Sure he has a right to do whatever he damn well pleases, but at this stage in the development it's trolling.

There's more points that are self evident facts about the state of the game but I'm not going to write them all out.

Sorry if i am wrong, but isn't moderate success and fail different.

Fail as compared to what it could have been.

Like a brilliant scientist who has a car accident and goes from 180-70 IQ.

Could of had cold fusion, instead you get mouth drooling.

Edited by TheMachine
  • Like 1

OP,

How *dare* you to delay the execution of Inception's bidding!

Comply with his command IMMEDIATELY or beware of the dire consequences!!

You have been warned!!!

_Anubis_

p.s. some people seem to confuse an internet forum with a nazi concentration camp

All I'm asking is for an explanation, which he has given. There is no need to get childish and silly with the stupid assumptions.

There's too many posts to rebut individually, but I will say this.

DayZs' scope is beyond what can be achieved with the Arma engine. By this are you referring to Arma 2.5 engine they are creating specifically for DayZ, or the Arma engine it runs off now?

These include -

1. Slow load times, for a commercial game and not a niche mod, quick server loads are a MUST, people will tell their friends they can't even play the game they bought and it'll crash the sales. Load times are currently fast for what I've experienced.

2. Player count, 50-60 players (60 gets really laggy even with low ping) servers are not enough, the map feels completely empty.

Unless this can be addressed and we can have 100-200 player servers then it's just a running simulator with AI.I believe the default, from what I've heard/read [someone correct me on this] will be 200 players.

3. Bugs bugs and more bugs. Most of them are because of the Arma engine, which is being re-designed for the SA.

4. Hackers. That's because BattlEye wasn't created to "defend" against scripting--it was originally a script friendly engine.

Just thought I'd shed some light upon those subjects. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, Machine, why do you think that DayZ should cater to the general COD populace?

Edited by Inception.
  • Like 3

I dont understand why the stand alone has to be much different (according to some people's post on here) then the current version of the mod. As far as I followed the dev blogs there are changes compared to the mod (character customization, clothing, more buildings, crafting) plus they're will be patches after release which should add more options to the game. I'd be quite happy if they kept all the bollox 200+ vehicles/start with an m1a1 abrahamstank or A10 plane servers out of the picture. These servers arent what DayZ was intended to be as far as I know. Do the WoW thing and do everything central server side without all the crap. The people who don't like it will stay away... I kinda like that idea..

• Like 1

OP trolling.

Why would this be your first post? You just made another account and decided to troll, end of.

...this topic wasn't his first post.

Unless this can be addressed and we can have 100-200 player servers then it's just a running simulator with AI.

50-60 players feels empty to you? Maybe it's my playstyle, but 30 players is a crowd... 100-200 would be an absolute nightmare!

• Like 2

No, it's not, I really believe DayZ has missed it's window and from what I've read the development is going in the wrong direction(focus on textures, 'lore' and not gameplay).

I don't doubt it'll be a moderate success, but not the breakthrough game it could have been.

Huh?

DayZ is a success already, the mod probably funded the development of the Standalone. Last summer BI talked about a 600% increase in ArmA sales, how many copies have been sold since then? I understand that both Rocket and BI is continuing the development, because they believe they'll end up with a product worth buying. If the mod had been released in December, if would basically have been a priced copy of the mod, it wouldn't have been whatever breakthrough game you though it could have been. It would have been a mod which you apparently dislike for it's loading times, it's core engine, it's playercount, it's bugs and hackers.

Anyways the breakthrough game you wanted was never possible, because for better and for worse DayZ is naturally connected to the ArmA engine.

Why?

When Rocket was trying to sell his idea, the guys who traditionally would have funded his project, wouldn't give him the time of day. When he finally proved them wrong with ArmA's engine, they probably offered him a lot of money to lend them his name to their mainstream titles, so they could market titles like Aliens: Colonial Marines by saying: "Experience true space survival by the man behind the DayZ." However Rocket realized that he had to chose between an EA corner office and actual creative control.

• Like 1

All I'm asking is for an explanation, which he has given. There is no need to get childish and silly with the stupid assumptions

1) OH RLY? And then why you rushed to edit your post to the OP before answering? Do you believe nobody saw it?

2) 'childish'/'silly'/'stupid' - Dear, you are really unable to communicate without insulting, do you?

_Anubis_

I love how people hit the flameBURNITALL button when somebody tell their own idea about SA...

DayZ SA only needs to make $100,000 to be "successful" to BI and Rocket as he stated. I'm sure that they will easily make that much more. I think the game is more of an adventure into a new genre of gaming than it is a search for AAA profits.

• Like 1

1) OH RLY? And then why you rushed to edit your post to the OP before answering? Do you believe nobody saw it?

2) 'childish'/'silly'/'stupid' - Dear, you are really unable to communicate without insulting, do you?

_Anubis_

Anubis, if you have a problem with a moderator, PM Griff or Boneboys. Stop posting about it here, because it's annoying.

• Like 2

Back on topic.

Never, I will not be constrained by the man's rules and regulations.

On a serious note, people are entitled to opinions, especially on something that has yet to release. I loved the mod but I am somewhat over playing it now and despite my great enjoyment with the mod I could see a scenario where the standalone fails to impress. I think it will impress and should continue to get better as development sounds like it will continue well after the initial release, but maybe it ends up feeling like a slightly tweaked port of the mod to a modified engine and ends up being a disappointment. Regardless of the outcome I will look at DayZ as a success, even if it was just a fun mod that helped show a market existed for similar games in the future.

At this point the forums are made up of a dwindling player base getting into arguments over small issues that do not matter. TheMachine is free to be worried about the success of the standalone and I actually see where he is coming from despite the fact that I hold a different opinion. It will never be settled on a forum, the only thing that will settle this issue is playing the actual game once it releases. If it sucks, it sucks. If it is great, people will buy it and it will be successful.

• Like 2

I disagree with your opinion, but respect it and your right to to it. Unlike the rest of the poorly-raised shitheels on these forums, apparently.

As you ask you get reply.

This post seems like someone who thinks of dayz as a fps deathmatch game. It is not, it's a realistic survival sim.