TheMachine

Why DayZ will fail as a standalone game

I mean it could fail. I hope it doesn't, but it happens.

Let's be honest. The Dayz mod is a lot of fun and it's a really cool idea, but if it were released as-is as a production quality game, it would be terrible. Crappy zombie AI / pathfinding, buggy, hacker ridden, easily exploitable, glitchy, poorly balanced, vast stretches of empty wilderness and boarded up homes, not many ways to interact with the environment, no purpose, not much to do, stiff animations, clunky interface, poor physics, bad vehicle handling, and a pretty crappy community (not so much you guys :D I'm talking about the hackers, combat logging pussies, and retarded 13 year olds screeching over side chat). And even the community that isn't crappy is pretty fractured. More guns. Less guns. Sniper rifles. No sniper rifles. More vehicles. Less vehicles. Melee weapons. No melee weapons. Military supplies. Less military stuff. Base building and zombie killing and PvP vs PvE.

For the SA to be successfull, Rocket needs to address A LOT of these issues without creating a watered down game that doesn't please anyone.

So lets home he gets inspired by his Everest trip and doesn't...I don't know...die up there.

Cap'n - The DayZ map is nowhere the size of ANY state. At 225 km^2 Chernarus is about exactly the size of Martha's Vinyard, MA.

• Like 1

One problem I can see in the future for stand alone DayZ is that a lot of players are bored/done with vanilla Chernarus and moving on to upgraded versions of the map, other maps and sub-mods like Origins. Will everyone be willing to return to a revamped, but basic original game? I don't know. I just hope we don't end up with a split community between a rigid stand slone game and the heavily modded Alpha.

What makes you think Rocket doesn't understand what players actually want? I'm pretty sure he is fully aware what players think they want. The majority of the players want tons of military weapons and vehicles to dick around for an hour or so. It doesn't mean the game should be anything like that. They're obviously going for zombies that are much more than just a nuisance. Being core part of the game, there is no way they could reuse the same, awful zombie animations currently in the mod.

1 and 2 never stopped the mod from being succesfull. I don't really understand 4. When people say they missed their window, what exactly that means? Had they released a buggy mess with the same problems as the mod, we would have had a winner on our hands? How does that work, it doesn't make any sense to me. A fully finished DayZ standalone with MMO architecture and all basic foundation features implemented and released in December would have been ideal for sure, but if it's not ready, it's not ready. It would have sold better than it will sell whenever it comes out, but what does that mean for us players? Someone recently posted a quote by rocket saying the mod was arguably at it's best when it had 50000 players. I couldn't agree more.

DayZ SA might fail but it won't be due to any of those reasons IMO.

• Like 1

True dayz players don't give a shit about building. The zombie animations and running are pretty retarded right now, and the motion capture shit is awesome and hopefully it makes the game more smooth. Didn't read the rest of your bullshit.

No, YOU'RE a flame war!

My post could totally beat up your post.

• Like 2

"Hey, lets climb a goddamn mountain for two months after delaying our project 2-3 times and losing a good portion of our community and support."

Why am I still on these forums? I think its because I am reliving a time long past...a time of discovery and hope. Reality has set in...

"Hey, lets climb a goddamn mountain for two months after delaying our project 2-3 times and losing a good portion of our community and support."

Why am I still on these forums? I think its because I am reliving a time long past...a time of discovery and hope. Reality has set in...

Well if you've been here long enough you'll know why R went climbing at this time. You're better than this.

Well if you've been here long enough you'll know why R went climbing at this time. You're better than this.

Rocket is the Team Lead. Anyone who works in the IT industry knows that the key resource does not leave the team for extended periods unless:

1. the project is almost over so he/she could disappear for a couple of months

OR

2. the project is far away from completition so people are still in development/coding but no critical testing or reviews have to take place

Time will tell. June is behind the corner so either we are going to see something pretty Alpha-ish soon or wait for a while.

_Anubis_

Edited by _Anubis_

OP

What you need to realise is that modding and game creating from scratch isn't simply click and place and everything is all dandy

I've modded other games and I can tell you even with all the tools provided for you it's a mind numbing and head banging against the wall task....and that's on a good day when things go according to plan

You should try modding some games like x3: reunion that provide little tools and even less help on what the scripting does.

Once you've seen how difficult it can be to mod a game, then try to imagine what it's like to build a new one

What is all this about Rocket taking a holiday (if you can call it such)?

I don't know about you but if i have booked a holiday months in advance and someone at my company tells me i shouldn't or can't go anymore then they are going to get a two word answer.

Anyone care to play hangman? .................. _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Loading times is far better then ever before in my experience, except when the server is broken.

I just came back from a few months break, and it's so interesting again, so much new awesome stuff, and soon I can finally combine mags!

While I do agree that other games are taking the focus off DayZ for me, I'm ALWAYS keep an eye on this one.

What is all this about Rocket taking a holiday (if you can call it such)?

I don't know about you but if i have booked a holiday months in advance and someone at my company tells me i shouldn't or can't go anymore then they are going to get a two word answer.

Anyone care to play hangman? .................. _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Is there an.... A?

I love how people talk about Rocket going to Everest like he's just started work on a game and up and leaves for two months. He's been working hard on DayZ since... this time last year? Give the guy a break, it can only be good for DayZ if Dean Hall gets some r&r. Unless of course, you're the type who can't wait 2 minutes for a map to load, or a few months for an alpha to go public.

...press play on tape...

oh! the days of getting to 19 mins out of 25 while loading ELITE on my Acorn Electron only for it to crash, having to rewind and start all over again and 25 mins later getting to play it, damn! imagine the frustration of players today having to wait nearly 45 mins to load up a game.

Edited by Crazy one
  • Like 3

The people that play DayZ are patient, we're willing to wait for servers to load, we learn to live with bugs and we accept the fact that we're going to die sooner rather than later.

I'm guessing thats the people you play with, all the people I play with don't have an issue waiting to get into a game.

But, the general COD, counter strike crowd are NOT patient and that, along with some other stuff is why DayZ will fail.

Good we don't want the counter strike/cod/bf crowd. I started playing dayz because IT WAS NOT BALANCED LIKE EVERY OTHER GAME OUT THERE, it is very unbalanced and I like that challenge. I want guys to have 50cals when all I have is a cz. I'm sick and tired of every game having every god damn weapon balanced against another one, its totally unrealistic and is just there to please the n00bs and ruins games.

1. No one is going to spend 2-3 minutes loading into servers, which judging by the length of time the mod has been out and the fact this still hasn't been fixed will be a problem in the SA too.

Rubbish! You don't want to spend as little as 2-3mins waiting to get into a game maybe you should find something else todo!

2. I don't believe people will continue to play DayZ long after they buy it, because they'll rage quit.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. Does not mean there right!

3. Rocket doesn't seem to really understand what players actually want. Remember how he'd spent weeks working on irrelevant features no one asked for or really wanted (dogs) and how he refused to remove certain textures even though they were turning the map into a surrealistic modern art piece with the artefacts?

Refusing to remove high powered sniper rifles despite the hacking and duping?

Yeah, that's Rocket, as good and as novel as DayZ is, he just doesn't fully 'get' his own creation.

I mean for crying out loud, they're doing Motion Capture for zombie movement when they should be looking into a system that lets people build structures.

Rockets not making a game for self entitled add cod/bf/cs kids. When are you people going to get that into your skulls?

4. They've missed their window, simple as that.

Had they released DayZ 6 months ago when the buzz was at it's height then we might have had a winner on our hands.

Unfortunately the project has lost focus, time and direction.

Hell, Rocket just went off for a two month holiday when he's the lead developer of a game, incredibly irresponsible on his part and a big fuck you to the people who're waiting for the game.

In any other industry that'd get you fired.

Oh Really?? So your an industry expert are you? What other intruiging in-sights have you for us all on the games industry, do tell?????????
  • Like 1

Is this game an indie title? Rocket came from that area right? Show me the standalone indie title, that requires the kind of PC requirements this game does... That's actually successful.

I'm not getting the game until the reviews come out. I most assuredly won't be getting the game if I read the following from critics and reviewers:

"game still suffers from FPS drops and stuttering"

"if you have the mod of Day-Z not enough new or expansive content to justify purchasing the standalone"

Like me and probably alot of other people, I bought arma to play day-z. Which I came to realise was a buggy poorly optimised mess of a game, with the unique graphics setting in which turning things up will get you extra frames,

I will hold off on getting DayZ until I hear how much more the game has been optimised.

I will not buy Day-Z if turns out the only real difference is, a better AI, some new skins for players, enterable building and a swamp in kamenka.

It's not worth the money to me if thats it.

OP - Care to explain why you have another account in which you admit to being a hacker and explain in boring detail why you think hacking is ok in DayZ?

• Like 3

OP - Care to explain why you have another account in which you admit to being a hacker and explain in boring detail why you think hacking is ok in DayZ?

Haha what?

He/she has another account with a lovely angry topic called " I use hacks -this is why" and then goes on to rage about how shite the game is basically with classic lines such as "So if people wanna be assholes I thought shit, why not level the playing field?".

Turns out OP is just a generally angry person. I'm not saying it detracts from the points made in this thread but looking at the posting history of both accounts it does seem OP just generally really doesn't like anything about DayZ (especially Rocket) which makes it hard to take anything they have to say too seriously.

Edited by Fraggle

He/she has another account with a lovely angry topic called " I use hacks -this is why" and then goes on to rage about how shite the game is basically with classic lines such as "So if people wanna be assholes I thought shit, why not level the playing field?".

Turns out OP is just a generally angry person. I'm not saying it detracts from the points made in this thread but looking at the posting history of both accounts it does seem OP just generally really doesn't like anything about DayZ (especially Rocket) which makes it hard to take anything they have to say too seriously.

No your right it doesn't detract from anything on the OP... at all. The only thing that does detract from the OP is the post you just made, which has zero to do with anything, if you want to derail the thread go do it on other threads that I'm not in lol

No your right it doesn't detract from anything on the OP... at all. The only thing that does detract from the OP is the post you just made, which has zero to do with anything, if you want to derail the thread go do it on other threads that I'm not in lol

Technically you are derailing it as well. It also appears i am as well.

• Like 1

There seems to be a rather naive nature in dealing with obvious valid concerns for the games future. If people didn't like the game at all they wouldn't post on the forums, or why else would they. I've been doing a lot of DayZ bashing, because it's sad to see something not realise its huge amount of potential.

There seems to be a rather naive nature in dealing with obvious valid concerns for the games future. If people didn't like the game at all they wouldn't post on the forums, or why else would they. I've been doing a lot of DayZ bashing, because it's sad to see something not realise its huge amount of potential.

He said dayz WILL fail. That means it is certain. So i do not see any concerns being raised that they can change if it WILL fail. Rocket may as well have fun with his life and create a game how he and a lot of people want it to regardless of if it will fail or not.

Edited by Noszombie