TheMachine

Why DayZ will fail as a standalone game

wow a thread like this is still not in the graveyard, this must be some kind of record.

It won't get buried as long as peeps manage to discuss the topic without insulting each other which is usually the way these things tend to go. So with that in mind, carry on and keep the personal insults to yourselves.

On topic. OP - I can't really take your predictions seriously I'm afraid considering you've been continually proven wrong many times in the past. You've given us many classic predictions over the last year including "The Mod is dead - Roll on DayZ SA" or something similar. That was in August last year and I'd say you were spectacularly wrong. In the past you've said that development of the mod would stop as soon as SA is announced (wrong), you've said that by this point another company would have stolen DayZ's thunder by releasing a better version of DayZ (wrong) the (very long) list goes on.

My point being that your abilities to read the future seem a little off to me.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 5

The people that play DayZ are patient, we're willing to wait for servers to load, we learn to live with bugs and we accept the fact that we're going to die sooner rather than later.

But, the general COD, counter strike crowd are NOT patient and that, along with some other stuff is why DayZ will fail.

Good thing that DayZ is in an entirely different genre to CoD and Counter-strike, and have very different crowds.

Don't be fooled, no matter how you try, you cannot play DayZ like CoD/CS, as it's a survival mod, whereas CoD/CS are both twitch arcade FPSes. People like those games because you spawn in with a complete loadout, sprint around a small arena, and it's just your team vs their team. This is literally impossible to do in DayZ, as the map is massive, and there will always be your stamina preventing you from running around like such.

1. No one is going to spend 2-3 minutes loading into servers, which judging by the length of time the mod has been out and the fact this still hasn't been fixed will be a problem in the SA too.

Bollocks. People are willing to wait longer than that just to get into pregame lobbies, in other games.

2. I don't believe people will continue to play DayZ long after they buy it, because they'll rage quit.

Also bollocks. When you want to get good at a game, you will continue to play it beyond the point in which it infuriates you. And all you need is a bit of luck in DayZ to enjoy yourself, which won't be too uncommon.

3. Rocket doesn't seem to really understand what players actually want. Remember how he'd spent weeks working on irrelevant features no one asked for or really wanted (dogs) and how he refused to remove certain textures even though they were turning the map into a surrealistic modern art piece with the artefacts?

Refusing to remove high powered sniper rifles despite the hacking and duping?

Yeah, that's Rocket, as good and as novel as DayZ is, he just doesn't fully 'get' his own creation.

I mean for crying out loud, they're doing Motion Capture for zombie movement when they should be looking into a system that lets people build structures.

Yet again, Bollocks. There have been hundreds of updates specifically tailored around user suggestions, and in fact most of the recent ones have been user-made themselves.

Why in the hell would they spend time adding big features to a mod when millions of people are waiting for them to release a game?

FYI, that's a horrible method of thinking you have. Removing things to stop hackers using them? Not only is that futile, but simply taking things out to spite hackers just means you will eventually be left with nothing.

4. They've missed their window, simple as that.

Had they released DayZ 6 months ago when the buzz was at it's height then we might have had a winner on our hands.

Unfortunately the project has lost focus, time and direction.

Hell, Rocket just went off for a two month holiday when he's the lead developer of a game, incredibly irresponsible on his part and a big fuck you to the people who're waiting for the game.

In any other industry that'd get you fired.

Once again, complete and utter bollocks.

No more buzz? There are almost two million people in anticipation for this game. No matter how long it takes, it will have a massive playerbase upon release, I can guarantee it.

Rocket is the lead developer, not the ONLY developer. ALL people are entitled to take holidays, and there's no reason why they need to slave away 24/7 to make a videogame, and disregard their personal wants and needs just for you. In fact, the bigger "fuck you" is that you can say that and still call yourself a DayZ fan.

You are an incredibly negative person. You will never last long in this community.

Edited by Rage VG
  • Like 7

It won't get buried as long as peeps manage to discuss the topic without insulting each other which is usually the way these things tend to go. So with that in mind, carry on and keep the personal insults to yourselves.

Wait, so if I insult someone, the topic will get graveyarded? I think the OP is a slitherbuss nosac wallopgagger that should go shalluping back to the nethercraggons from whence s/he spawned.

• Like 7

Good thing that DayZ is in an entirely different genre to CoD and Counter-strike, and have very different crowds.

Once again, complete and utter bollocks.

No more buzz? There are almost two million people in anticipation for this game. No matter how long it takes, it will have a massive playerbase upon release, I can guarantee it.

I repeat:

If even half the current unique players buy the supposedly $15 game at release, DZ SA just made 15 million dollars.

Maybe the prolonging is a tactic to get rid of all those impatient people who would ruin the game with their attitude when it is released.

Maybe the prolonging is a tactic to get rid of all those impatient people who would ruin the game with their attitude when it is released.

As beautiful a thought as that is, there are plenty of people that will be caught in a sea of hype the Christmas after the game is released. (And by plenty of people, I mean young children without jobs or babysitters begging their parents at Christmas for a game they won't play or more than half an hour)

Wait, so if I insult someone, the topic will get graveyarded? I think the OP is a slitherbuss nosac wallopgagger that should go shalluping back to the nethercraggons from whence s/he spawned.

Nonononononoooo, no. That isn't what I meant. I meant that history tells us that threads like this tend to end up being buried because they usually turn int a flame war between the OP and others. Would be nice if we could keep it running for 5 mins before that happens.

Nonononononoooo, no. That isn't what I meant. I meant that history tells us that threads like this tend to end up being buried because they usually turn int a flame war between the OP and others. Would be nice if we could keep it running for 5 mins before that happens.

1... 2... 3... 4... 5... and time!

F*** the OP, CoD is so awesome I love COD ohmygod COD is the greatest game ever I love it I jizz when I play COD it makes me horny oh yeah COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD F**** NOBS THAT DON PLAY COD GREATEST GAME EVER.

Is the flame war started yet?

• Like 1

As beautiful a thought as that is, there are plenty of people that will be caught in a sea of hype the Christmas after the game is released. (And by plenty of people, I mean young children without jobs or babysitters begging their parents at Christmas for a game they won't play or more than half an hour)

Of course...at least it reduces them a bit :D

I think one of the biggest problems is the quality awareness, which is different to everyone...some would be happy with only having something new to play despite the bugs...

It is one thing to announce Dogs as companions for a free mod, but if you make something people will pay for quality is a much bigger thing, because people have paid for something then...and it is like this with everything in the game.

I don't think it is only Rocket or the Dev-Team that has decided to work more on the project before releasing it...After the WarZ-Desaster there may be also some Stakeholders who would want to invest more time/money for a more polished game to be sure.

In my opinion now DayZ does not only stand for a mod of game that has become very successful, but its success is also an example of how important a modding community is to make games the people want.

Look at BF3 having no real modding option...BF1 had so many great mods...They bought up the guys from the "Desert Combat" to make BF2...but now you can't make mods for BF3...just to pull more money out of their customers pocket when they want to play a new map or have new weapons...the argument that the modding would be too complicated to assure a proper working is just plain marketing.

So this here is also a new hope to the modding community in general I think...so give it time to ripe.

Shall we distill this to a basic truth? The Standalone will take however long it takes to be "perfect" without regard to any/all of our opinions/gripes/warnings/threats. It is a "product" of a company that has been "field tested" by us. We all know that when it is finally released we will all be trying/playing it to see how the game has changed (for better or worse). If the game becomes better in the end, as a result of all of this waiting (heck, we are still playing the game while waiting, it isn't as if they shut down all the servers!) then we will have a fresher and more intense experience.

For the "older" game players (like me) I remember waiting for things to load on a 300 baud dial-up modem! You would actually see the text "filling in" on the monitor! Waiting for a game to load was normal. So today, if we have to wait 15 minutes for the server we feel it is unacceptable. Ironically, the very nature of thus game is about learning to patiently and gradually survive.

• Like 6

For the "older" game players (like me) I remember waiting for things to load on a 300 baud dial-up modem! You would actually see the text "filling in" on the monitor! Waiting for a game to load was normal. So today, if we have to wait 15 minutes for the server we feel it is unacceptable. Ironically, the very nature of thus game is about learning to patiently and gradually survive.

...press play on tape...

• Like 4

Just because the Dayz mod player count has dropped it doesn't mean the game won't be a success :)

I've not played any Dayz since ArmA3 was released, I will buy the Dayz SA :D

The mod was original and i actully do miss it, but i'm looking forward to the SA and i hope/know the developers are not stupid enough to listen to you :P Release the game when it's ready or at least cheat free and stable

• Like 2

I mean for crying out loud, they're doing Motion Capture for zombie movement when they should be looking into a system that lets people build structures.

Heaven forbid they work on zombie animations for a zombie apocalypse game!

• Like 8

Heaven forbid they work on zombie animations for a zombie apocalypse game!

I would be happy to play as Bob the Builder ...it is so important to be able to construct buildings ( fuck zombie anims and stuff)

http://www.bobthebui...m/uk/index.html

Edited by Private Evans
  • Like 2

Pretty sure DayZ mod was never ment to go this big. It is a dream come true for a modder who low and behold found a 1.7 million crowd of players who turned the mod into a game. You can make a game so damn unique that nobody else can compete in its wake, or you can appeal to the masses... the ignorant blubbering masses.

Hello there

I think many folk are equating DAYZ with a normal AAA EA type release.

It really could not be further from that.

This is a niche game for a niche audience, it's not going to appeal to the masses in gameplay or its production time.

But because of it's "anti game" appeal it has gone viral and many folk who normally would not gravitate to the game will do due to 'tubes, press coverage etc.

OP seems to be basing his opinions on traditional "corporate" game releases and it just is not applicable in this case.

I think many folk will be disappointed and many will drift away from the game. That's fine, it's not aimed at them and R has indeed said that vast profits are not the aim. (BI will still make a nice amount)

A year in development/production is a tiny amount of time, I'd like to see another year before a release, but it's not up to me :)

Rgds

LoK

• Like 6

You've offended me once already by taking a punch at Counter Strike players like me, but I'll give MY two cents on your opinions. #1, the map is larger than several states here in the U.S. I live in a pretty rural area(NC), and the entire Chernarus map is maybe a third the size of our state. But for a game, that's freaking huge. Imagine the textures and scripts that need to be loaded, and not to mention how good one's computer may be. #2, the majority of people who started playing in April are still playing. I've been playing since November, and more and more people like me are coming to this game. People are willing to pay hundreds, if not THOUSANDS on a computer just to play DayZ. While this may be a waste of money, it goes to show this game nor its standalone counterpart will be "dead". #3, Rocket is a freaking mastermind. He's also one of the few game devs who ACTUALLY understands what players want. While some features of the standalone I'm not looking forward to, I'm the minority and I'm happy if everyone else is happy. Rocket and the team at Bohemia are making a kick ass game and you can't accept that. #4, mentioned above in #3. Many people who don't play are waiting patiently for the standalone. Others have also purchased/built a computer JUST to play the standalone. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. And in your case, you ain't gettin' no anal praise.

• Like 3

Hello there

I think many folk are equating DAYZ with a normal AAA EA type release.

EA and AAA hardly belong in the same sentence :D . I get you.

Edited by SteveLord
  • Like 1

No, YOU'RE a flame war!

I can't say I agree with most of the OP's points but my assessment now remains more or less the same as when standalone was first announced. I would give 50/50 odds that standalone ends up either the greatest game I've ever played or a complete train wreck.

Rocket has some great concepts and there is great potential but whether or not the game actually works depends on their ability to execute, which still remains to be seen. For one example consider the much vaunted advanced medical system which I think is a good idea and could add a lot of complexity, frustration, and fun. However, the few hints we've seen about how it is being implemented suggest little more than new magic potions (disinfecting spray) and amulets (deliberators) to collect. Certainly a lot will change between now and release day and I'm still hoping for the Greatest Game Ever but I don't think it is a foregone conclusion.

#1, the map is larger than several states here in the U.S. I live in a pretty rural area(NC), and the entire Chernarus map is maybe a third the size of our state.

You may want to double check your geography. Chernarus is 225 sq. km. The smallest US state is Rhode Island at 4,002 sq km. North Carolina is 139,389 sq km, which make Chernarus less than 0.2% the area of North Carolina, not even close to a third. Chernarus is much closer in size to a mid-size American city, e.g. Durham, NC (245 sq. km.).