supercraft360

Dayz SA to be a failure

OP doesn't understand it's difficult to survive in such an event. It's not easy to find 4 SCARs and 17 working cars... And lets not forget an imaginary electrical grid that runs without maintenance.

Please understand the majority wants an actual survival game where the fun is in the difficulty to stay alive and build our own society from ashes.

The mainstream BS with servers that have max cars and weapons should never make it to SA. The only reason they are in existence is because they use the mass DM appeal to overcome the sheer lack of features to do in the mod.

Notice how everyone wants to build houses in origins instead of DM now? More features and activities will trump DM and max cars any day until their novelty wears off.

"Because if he messes Dayz Standalone up, who is going to actually want to be in associated with him?" well the funny thing is, he was employed by Bohemia Interactive a few months before DayZ became a hit, so if DayZ fails, then he'll just go back to being an Arma 3 dev.

Of course, it won't fail, so why is anyone discussing this? The points you bring up are stupid. You're basically saying that DayZ isn't going to sell because there aren't any private hives. The DayZ SA is a totally new game built from the ground up. I'd take a guess and say that the core problems like ghosting, logging etc. are being worked on already or have already been worked on. He's not going to let the issues that ruined the mod, ruin the new game.

• Like 1

I'm think he said it in the latest video blog. I definitely remember him saying it in one of the vlogs.

You are indeed right man. He indeed said that he'll make renting servers avaible for S.A

Edited by SoulHunter

The main reason I play mostly on private hives is due to hackers, not additional bits and bobs (which I shy away from tbh). No issue with private hives at all but once hackers are out the window I'll be on the public servers.

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

Over the past few months, I have been closely watching twitter updates, devblogs and just stuff about standalone posted by rocket in general. Rocket has the idea that everyone is into scarce starting loadouts and low vehicle spawn rates, which I have nothing against, BUT, this also means there will be no private hive dayz servers which I am extremely unhappy about. If this is to happen, I probably will not buy SA and stick with the mod - where it all started. I am quiet honestly confused with rocket's decisions as they will impact the future of his career. Because if he messes Dayz Standalone up, who is going to actually want to be in associated with him? Yeah - give him a chance, but this game is highly anticipated and if OP does not deliver, all hell goes loose. This will probably get deleted, but I am entitled to make my own suggestion about how standalone should run.

Yeah - standalone will be good, but will it rise above the mod? Or will it turn into a lame warz like game. Rocket, if you read this on MT Everest, please understand that by not appealing to more "Casual" users, you are missing out on a big audience which will make dayz the game of the year.

Thanks for reading,

Josh

Young man...after 19 posts u dont get to write posts like this...thats not how the world works.

And "J-dub"? what the fuck where u thinking??

The main reason I play mostly on private hives is due to hackers, not additional bits and bobs (which I shy away from tbh). No issue with private hives at all but once hackers are out the window I'll be on the public servers.

Agreed. We have a lot to thank private servers for. They basically saved the mod after the issues on the public ones got out of hand. The point of the SA (or one of) is to resolve these issues.

Unfortunately the downside of the private servers is that (many) admins have now customised the settings to the point where it's become an entirely different game. People that have started playing in the last couple of months and have only ever played on servers with silly starting gear and cars on every street corner haven't actually experienced DayZ as it was intended. They will be shocked when they play the SA because it's going to be brutal, hard, frustrating and unforgiving (this time for the right reasons). They may not like it but that's what DayZ is supposed to be like and the SA will take us back to that (as far as I can tell from having read almost everything there is to read about it).

If people don't like it then it's just not the game for them. There's hundreds of other games out there to cater to different preferences, DayZ's strength has always been (and will hopefully continue to be) that it is unique. It's the brutalness of it (perma death ect.) and slow pace that induces the strong emotions and tension that in my opinion no other game has come close to offering yet. No game in the world can appeal to all, many have tried and they fail every time. All a good game developer can do is have a clear goal and stick to it. I believe that is what the devs are doing, of course only time will really tell and I'm a biased fanboy but looking around the games in development ATM and near future nobody is attempting anything close to what DayZ is.

As a gamer first and a DayZ fan second, I really hope they don't screw it up, so far I don't see one single thing that makes me think they will.

Edit - On a side note, being a "fanboy" like me implies that I can't look at things objectively or use critical thinking to come to these conclusions. I've been a gamer for 20 years or so now and I like to think I have my head screwed on fairly tightly. I deal with facts. Not rumours, not mis-information. When/if the time comes I will be critical of decisions made by the devs as I have in the past but for now I'm honestly very happy with the way things are going.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 12

This, I try and play on vanilla as I can find on private hives.

Sorry for being way off topic but what the hell is that character in your avatar? I know mines slightly dodgy but your is just plain freaky.

I will go somewhat against the grain and say I like the diversity of the mod and it is one of the reasons I have found myself coming back even after swearing off DayZ mod forever on multiple occasions. If enough content is released through updates it will keep players interested for the first six months or so and at that point I would love to see some mods and user content start to spring up.

But where I disagree with the OP is the idea that somehow not having private hives or user generated content for the initial builds is somehow going to "kill" the standalone, if Rocket makes a good game people will come (if you build it they will come). DayZ is about merit, the mod came out of no where and blew up so there is some hype that surrounds the game but it does not have the luxury of being CoD with a huge fan base who will buy whatever Activision dumps out next. So if the game sucks and lacks compelling content it will fail, but since none of us have seen the final product making a prediction right now is useless.

• Like 1

The only thing that could cause the SA to be a failure imo is the sheer amount of players and/ or cheaters. If the game goes live with VAC only (it probably will), I predict first private cheats within 1 day, public ones within 1 week and the servers might be full of ESPers, Aimbotters and maybe speedhackers/ no clip stuff within one month.

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

Over the past few months, I have been closely watching twitter updates, devblogs and just stuff about standalone posted by rocket in general. Rocket has the idea that everyone is into scarce starting loadouts and low vehicle spawn rates, which I have nothing against, BUT, this also means there will be no private hive dayz servers which I am extremely unhappy about. If this is to happen, I probably will not buy SA and stick with the mod - where it all started. I am quiet honestly confused with rocket's decisions as they will impact the future of his career. Because if he messes Dayz Standalone up, who is going to actually want to be in associated with him? Yeah - give him a chance, but this game is highly anticipated and if OP does not deliver, all hell goes loose. This will probably get deleted, but I am entitled to make my own suggestion about how standalone should run.

Yeah - standalone will be good, but will it rise above the mod? Or will it turn into a lame warz like game. Rocket, if you read this on MT Everest, please understand that by not appealing to more "Casual" users, you are missing out on a big audience which will make dayz the game of the year.

Thanks for reading,

Josh

This Attitude is what I dont get, I really dont. Having private hives, brings abuse of powers, Admin abuse. At the moment its pretty hard to find a server where the admins dont abuse using tools. The standalone will put us all on the a level playing field. No more map tools, No more giving out weapons, Just DayZ fun.

The mod will fizzle out when the standalone launches

1) hacking will always be apparent in the mod,

2) battleye will end up stopping supporting it when the standalone takes off

3) when there is a choice to play on a hack free version, Or hacked version, The masses wont play the mod

4) you might see a small handful of servers for the mod, But the standalone will where the community will be.

5) The mod will loose support from the devs. Which then halts the proccess of moving forward while the SA will always move forward

And saying it will fail due to you disliking it, Seriously kid, get over yourself

• Like 1

I agree with the original poster and so does most of the people I know.

Am I wrong with this? DayZ - Broken down. Its the end of the alphabet. "Z" Zombie. I get it. "Day" means its NOT the first days of the zombie apocalypse. This means supplies are limited, Finding people is rare, cars are more than likely either broken or out of gas. I see the thrill, But it lasted only about 6months and I guarantee I will never run around in a game doing absolutely nothing but loot cycling again just so I can get a tire to fix a car that will eventually lead to me getting shot by someone who just wants the car and doesn't want to team up.

That said... What would be wrong with DayA? The day you learn the zombies are here, its real and its not going away. When you can walk down a street and grab the car of your choice. Or walk into a grocery market and steel a ton of crap! The day when you trust your neighbor and are fighting over that last power generator. your willing to fight for it but not kill for it.

I guess the problem with this design would be too many ppl. Lets face it. I dont think supplies will last very long when everyone sees zombies are here.

Ive spent too long with this post.. lol

So your point is that, you been killed and got angry to many times and now want the game to change to your liking?

Hello there

One would think that the mod officially or unofficially will simply port over to A3 and will continue on from there.

There will always be those who wont want an unmoddable "hardcore" experience. A mod will be the way forward.

If there's no way made for mods to be possible (as we are led to believe for the initial release) then A3 is the most obvious tangent.

Rgds

Lok

• Like 2

Perhaps some should wake up and get a grip on what the mod actually is ... a sand box with 1.6 million guinea pigs running around.

Do you really think DayZ now reflects the intent of the final product other than the base scenario and general environment?

For some significant time, individual and sometimes rather disconnected features, including related problems, have been injected into the mod build like a software Lego set. Player behavioural patterns have been both influenced and ignored in turn. 1.7.6.1 was a mixture of fixes and small chunks of guinea pig food.

Welcome to an open development model and social science project all you lab rats ... where the price of admission is actually the most valuable of all ... your time and effort.

Edited by RN_Max
  • Like 2

I will admit I am kinda getting sick of the dev's stressing that they want more "realism" in the game.

But I don't care if the damn game has you have bowl movements in real time and you have to press Alt+W to wipe. As long as it's fun.

The only thing that could cause the SA to be a failure imo is the sheer amount of players and/ or cheaters. If the game goes live with VAC only (it probably will), I predict first private cheats within 1 day, public ones within 1 week and the servers might be full of ESPers, Aimbotters and maybe speedhackers/ no clip stuff within one month.

I read somewhere the information of the server isn't going to update to your character unless it is relevant for it. ESP hacks feed from the server-clients packages of information received, decoding them and tracking tents/vehicles/players/everything even 10km from you. This won't happen in the SA, because if this information is not downloaded on your computer, there's literally no way you can hack it.

Unless for short range :( wallhack as in counter strike is going to be a problem. But hell, it is already now, and much worse. Cutting off the 90% of the ESP problem is a win imo. And you talk shit about VAC, but correct me if im wrong, there's no good and efective way to stop cheaters from wallhack, autoaim and all this crap. Every fps have it. So it isn't like they have made a bad choice.

Edited by p4triot

Imagine how awesome it would be if everyone could bitch about stuff once... you know... it ACTUALLY HAPPENED.

Have people seriously got nothing better to do with their lives than complain about something that technically doesn't even exist yet?

Sun folks. Go get some.

• Like 2

Imagine how awesome it would be if everyone could bitch about stuff once... you know... it ACTUALLY HAPPENED.

Have people seriously got nothing better to do with their lives than complain about something that technically doesn't even exist yet?

Sun folks. Go get some.

But i like my cave, do i have to go out?

The problem with allowing private hives and mission file editing is that humans are naturaly drawn to the path with least resistance. We like to take the easy way out. It'd just leave us with the same problem that we have now in the mod... It would be impossible to find a populated vanilla (i.e. the way the game was intended to be played) servers.

I honestly hope the standalone is never opened up to modding.

• Like 8

Didn't read the rest of the comments, just wanted to say to OP: The reason DayZ is so successful is because it doesn't appeal to the masses. People are tired of easy, casual games.

The problem with allowing private hives and mission file editing is that humans are naturaly drawn to the path with least resistance. We like to take the easy way out. It'd just leave us with the same problem that we have now in the mod... It would be impossible to find a populated vanilla (i.e. the way the game was intended to be played) servers.

I honestly hope the standalone is never opened up to modding.

Another reason why moderators should use private accounts for their own personal views. You're posting as a forum moderator, not a guru as to how you feel the game should be played. Before you say it's personal opinion and exactly the same as others. nope, if a new player saw the forums for the 1st time they'd take your word as gospel.

Another reason why moderators should use private accounts for their own personal views. You're posting as a forum moderator, not a guru as to how you feel the game should be played. Before you say it's personal opinion and exactly the same as others. nope, if a new player saw the forums for the 1st time they'd take your word as gospel.

I'm perfectly entitled to my own opinion, you don't have to agree with me. That's just silly. :S

• Like 8

I read somewhere the information of the server isn't going to update to your character unless it is relevant for it. ESP hacks feed from the server-clients packages of information received, decoding them and tracking tents/vehicles/players/everything even 10km from you. This won't happen in the SA, because if this information is not downloaded on your computer, there's literally no way you can hack it.

Unless for short range :( wallhack as in counter strike is going to be a problem. But hell, it is already now, and much worse. Cutting off the 90% of the ESP problem is a win imo. And you talk shit about VAC, but correct me if im wrong, there's no good and efective way to stop cheaters from wallhack, autoaim and all this crap. Every fps have it. So it isn't like they have made a bad choice.

We will see if range is limited, I doubt it. They're busy enough with changing the engine architecture.

However. You talk about cheat prevention in the first place, but when it comes to actual cheat detection, VAC is probably the worst descision you can make. Technicially, it is years behind BattlEye and also lacks all kind of admin features, meaning the SA will have no ping-limit kicker, no remote administration, no multi-admin support, no chat logging, and no way of managing your player base (such as white-listing, storing players to a database, TS3 integration, talking to players over RCON, etc).

BE is simply much, much better than VAC in every aspect. DayZ is going to be a very popular game, and you can see yourself what happens to popular games with VAC only (CSS, MW2/ MW3 etc.)