r4z0r49

Wind and ballistics system

allofmyyes.jpg

this would really add to the night atmosphere

Is is a person sneaking up on you?

A zombie wandering the trees?

or just the wind?

Nice one.

For too long sniping someone has been easy with a zeroed weapon. No skill is needed if you just have to sight and shoot.

Any chance of the recoil being changed as well so that the scope doesn't automatically bounce back to your previous sight?

• Like 2

Im confused, Isnt windage already implemented in Arma2?

I say that because i remember that it was certainly a feature in OFP and that was over a decade ago.

From memory shots were definately affected by wind in OFP and you used to determine the wind speed + direction via map ui elements, strange if they took it out from arma etc..

I thought this too, and now I'm so confused.

I also swear you used to be able to shoot through certain walls (e.g. wood) with high-calibre rounds.

This is one of the projects members of the community dev team have been working on with a little luck it may be hitting DayZ soon :-)

This is fantastic news! I've wanted wind for a long time!

I saw Horde's thread and I'm glad he's attempting to make the wind drift values as close to real as possible! For those who weren't aware, he even went to the trouble of asking our Russian forum members to help find ballistic charts for certain Soviet rounds. :beans:

I wasn't aware this was actually going to be implemented by the dev team.

Very very very exciting news. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

i know people will disagree, and have different opinions i respect that, dont get me wrong i dont want the game to become CoD, but arma2/dayz already has bullet drop/travel, imo adding wind is too much.

No, man, wind is so damn fun. Make a long range hit and you feel like a boss. Since it affects everyone it means it will be harder for people to snipe you as well. B)

Edited by Gews

^^^^^

That's right. If implemented and i get sniped by someone hiding 1000m away i will be liable to say "Great shot!" instead of "You bastard!"

Or maybe "Great shot, you bastard!"

• Like 6

This is fantastic! The only issue I see is that clouds are a big way of determining direction in game if you don't have a compass or map. If the wind changes direction and that impacts the direction of the clouds, will there be some other clear way of determining direction? Also, will wind impact vehicles... particularly air vehicles?

I love the idea of changing the sound of guns indoors and the transition is seamless - awesome! Is the size of the report outside diminished by the walls absorbing the sound inside? It sounded to me like it wasn't, but I can't say that with certainty.

You mean.... you mean to tell me...

that bullets will now obey wind direction in a new update?

If this is for the standalone too, I will explode. Words cannot describe how awesome this is.

The only thing I can think of, is if I get this moment, take it to my bedroom, fuck it repeatedly, and make it have a thousand babies. I then selectively breed these baby moments together to form a second generation, find only the very best of these super moments, put them in an arena to fight to the death, and present you with the final surviving moment.

This is how awesome this is.

• Like 1

Fair comment.

Just an idea, take out the one (body) shot .50cal weapons and make getting your breath back longer so if you move you have to wait more time in order to take the shot. Make the other long distance scoped weapons and their ammunition much, much rarer, ie rangefinder rare.

Also, looking at the first post, wind and ballistics would not only apply to sniper rifles it would be every weapon, so your Makarov shot at 15m has a chance of being blown off course (smaller, lighter projectile) and I would imagine something like a crossbow which fires a much larger projectile and is short ranged would be even more prone to deviation.

Yes, but firing a sniper is meant to be difficult. So you want a weapon that one hit kills, which doesn't have any disadvantages because you can store it in your backpack as if it were an MP5?

Also, looking at the first post, wind and ballistics would not only apply to sniper rifles it would be every weapon, so your Makarov shot at 15m has a chance of being blown off course (smaller, lighter projectile) and I would imagine something like a crossbow which fires a much larger projectile and is short ranged would be even more prone to deviation.

Technically true but at the short ranges handguns are used at, it makes no discernible difference. Arrows will be affected a lot more than a bullet, at 10 mph wind an arrow could drift about two feet at 100 yards...

Edited by Gews

Awesome, thank you. I've been also reading the next patch notes. Cool patch.

EDIT: nevermind.

Edited by GOD™

Loving it!

I have to admit, I even love the environmental effects, modified sounds and the starting of leaves blowing around a lot more than the effects for snipers per se.

If combined with the weather-system in general, we could even tell wether it's going to rain soon or not.

Just one Question: As the clouds move West to East, it would suggest the winds close to the ground are going East to West all the time too.

If implemented, will the wind-direction always match the cloud-direction or will they work separately?

• Like 1

I have doubts that it will be realistic in any fashion. Time after Time it's been revealed that windage ballistic models in video games are always just a random variable added since there is no real accurate way to simulate any sort of actual gauge, either through a tool or "lickin your finger".

Most likely, after seeing the actual quality produced by the current volunteers, it will just piss everyone off and make long range weapons practically useless.

Most people I know playing the mod at this point have lost faith in the development direction and are waiting for SA.

Said this on the post SmashT made on reddit.

Depends, it would work well if there were a way to judge the wind direction like you can in reality, maybe a "finger in the wind" option that will tell you the direction the wind is coming from, and just the direction. Possibly also an item that can judge the speed like a wind anemometer. Otherwise its a great idea.

The features are as follows:

• Variable wind system.
  • Deviation for all projectiles in DayZ based on wind
  • Dynamic wind source that changes in volume with respect to wind speed to simulate the wind direction
  • Trees and bushes now make a 'blowing in the wind' sound. Also dependent on wind speed.
  • Wind sound effects are lowered when indoors
  • Guns now make a reverb sound when they are fired indoors
  • Firing indoors is P'vd over the network so other players can hear if you are firing indoors

VIDEO:

This is one of the projects members of the community dev team have been working on with a little luck it may be hitting DayZ soon :-)

If you add this to DayZ, please add either a lootable streamer or small flag with which a player can better gauge wind direction, as well as windsocks at the airfields.

A lootable streamer or something simple like that can be crafted to show wind direction is a pretty sweet idea.

The sound combined with the leaves works well IMO but something extra for the serious snipers would be a nice touch.

Edited by Fraggle

Maybe I'm dense for thinking this but wouldn't a piece of cloth on a stick work to gauge wind direction? Not a thing a 'serious' sniper would use I guess but it would work right?

Maybe I'm dense for thinking this but wouldn't a piece of cloth on a stick work to gauge wind direction? Not a thing a 'serious' sniper would use I guess but it would work right?

I was thinking the same TBH. That's all that's needed as a visual indication for the player.

If the player was to spawn with a handkerchief or if they would spawn as loot, all he would need is a stick and there's plenty of wood in Chernarus. The hand-kerchief could also be used as a temporary bandaid to slow down bleeding while you rush to find a real one somewhere. Afterwards you'd have to find a new one.

• Like 1

If you implement dynamic weather, the wind should be controlled by a server that simulates yearly weather.

Well this is just wind, not dynamic weather or seasons. That would be a whole different kettle of fish.

ACE already has the ballistics/wind, and it's accurate to real life. I have a hard time trusting the realism of this, where windage is adjusted in mils in the video.

A mil is about 3.44 MOA (Minutes of Angle or Arc). A typical rifle scope is adjusted in fractions of MOA, because at 1000 yards just a single MOA is about 10 inches of movement in point of impact.

So, if you're adjusting by MIL at 1000 yards, every tenth of a mil is going to move your point of impact relative to the scope reticle by almost a yard!

That is assuming that part is done right.

These scope adjustments should be done in 1/4 or 1/8 MOA. Although some rifle scopes, like those found on the M24/M40 have differing per click ratios for elevatation and wind.

Seriously, I'd rather just see ACE recoil, accuracy, scope adjustment, range cards, etc.

Is there any impact to zeroing / bullet drop when firing directly into the wind?

this would have an interesting impact on crossbow bolts, I hope. Those things are heavily affected by wind

• Like 1

Use the search and you will find the answer.

As always list game bugs with DayZ name one arma2 bug and you post will be ignored for not using search. Post in bug section

Man I don't know what it is about smug people who say "duhh use teh search and find it n00b". It's so un-called for. Hell, even Rocket agrees, he went out of his way to say he doesn't like that behaviour.