roykingtree

Character dies, becomes NPC Zombie

Do you like this idea?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like this idea?

• Yes
    • No

Suggestion #1:

When a character is killed (by zed or another player) that characters body "reanimates" into a zombie (much like The Walking Dead).

Alternate Suggestion #2: (idea from -Guardian-, slightly modified)

If you have been [bitten] by a zombie anytime throughout your DayZ story, upon death (by zombie or player) your body will reanimate. Otherwise, no bite = no reanimation.

What it is NOT: You die, you spawn as zombie [controlled by you] and run around infecting people.

What it will fix:

1. Players running directly back to their "place of death" and looting their bodies.
    • When a player dies their character reanimates into a zombie. This [server controlled] zombie essentially becomes a fellow server spawned zombie (ie...walking around, attacking players) carrying YOUR previous gear. This means one must track their zombie to acquire their previous gear.

What it will add:

1. Greater variety of zombie "skins" (without being forced).
    • You'll see hundreds of unique zombies walking around (ones with motorcycle helmets, underwear, etc...)

[*]A new way of acquiring good gear without KOS'ing other living players.

• A player can spot a zombie carrying nice gear, kill it, disinfect the gear and be on their merry way.

What it will change:

1. Current DayZ zombie lore.
    • Currently, players are immune to the infection. With this change players are immune until they get really sick and/or are on the verge of death.

Edited by roykingtree
  • Like 10

I should make a scoreboard on how many times this has been suggested.

o.o

• Like 1

I should make a scoreboard on how many times this has been suggested.

o.o

I searched the forums, and I could only find one that resembled this.

I searched the forums, and I could only find one that resembled this.

Alot of people dont use tags so searching is almost pointless.

Yeah, but this one has more power because the other ones have been buried, GOD. Sorry, I forgot to quote and am too lazy to go back and do it.

I like this idea, and I think that zombies should spawn with more gear. It needs to look as if the people were trying to survive, or else it needs to look like Chernarus just up and one day found itself with everyone as a zombie, as if it just changed within seconds. I think the second would leave more mystery, definitely.

• Like 4

Yeah, but this one has more power because the other ones have been buried, GOD. Sorry, I forgot to quote and am too lazy to go back and do it.

I like this idea, and I think that zombies should spawn with more gear. It needs to look as if the people were trying to survive, or else it needs to look like Chernarus just up and one day found itself with everyone as a zombie, as if it just changed within seconds. I think the second would leave more mystery, definitely.

If zombies spawned with gear, it should be very minimal/trash loot or very rare to find a zombie with say a pistol. But a player zombie could easily have very good loot.

The problem is that (I can't believe how many times I've said this already) if you die, you can't become an infected, because, well, you're dead. The infected in the game are not zombies, but living, infected humans. This much has already been established by the devs.

When making suggestions in the future, try to think if your suggestion would make sense in real life. Most of the people on here (devs included) seem to be pretty hardcore roleplayers, and any magical or supernatural suggestions usually receive a lot of flaming (as they should). The supernatural just doesn't belong in this game.

Again, suggestions should be based on reality, and make sense in real life. For example, if you don't know what viruses are, you should read up on real-life viruses before you make a post about how the virus in the game should work. This saves everyone's time.

Edited by TheSodesa
  • Like 2

The problem is that (I can't believe how many times I've said this already) if you die, you can't become an infected, because, well, you're dead. The infected in the game are not zombies, but living, infected humans. This much has already been established by the devs.

When making suggestions in the future, try to think if your suggestion would make sense in real life. Most of the people on here (devs included) seem to be pretty hardcore roleplayers, and any magical or supernatural suggestions usually receive a lot of flaming (as they should). The supernatural just doesn't belong in this game.

Again, suggestions should be based on reality, and make sense in real life. For example, you should read up on real-life viruses before you make a post about how the virus should work. This saves everyone's time.

In real-life do you have infinite lives? No.

My suggestion just brings another angle to the infection, it tries to balance out body looting by introducing a struggle for the player. Call it whatever you want, infected, dead, zombie, you can easily just say: right BEFORE a player dies their immune system is so weak they become infected. Yes of course you would have to change the backstory for this suggestion, I know full well what my suggestion encompasses.

The 'zombies' in DayZ are not dead; they're living, breathing bodies infected with some sort of virus, so this idea would not work.

Rocket has even stated that the infected are simply living humans with an infection, not your typical rise-from-the-grave zombie.

The 'zombies' in DayZ are not dead; they're living, breathing bodies infected with some sort of virus, so this idea would not work.

Rocket has even stated that the infected are simply living humans with an infection, not your typical rise-from-the-grave zombie.

"players are immune until they get really sick and/or are on the verge of death." Changed in edit.

The "verge of death" does not mean after you die.

It'd be understandable if you could become one of the infected while alive, but not after death. Once you're dead, you're dead.

The "verge of death" does not mean after you die.

It'd be understandable if you could become one of the infected while alive, but not after death. Once you're dead, you're dead.

Yea, I should change it to "before you die".

Again, suggestions should be based on reality, and make sense in real life. For example, you should read up on real-life viruses before you make a post about how the virus should work. This saves everyone's time.

Ok, so next time you make any single comment at all about the games physics, make sure you take Physics 3 and read some documents by phD physicists before you post.

IMO, if it's an infection, it didn't just get there willy-nilly. It takes time to die by infection, so these people would have fought back, and HARD. They would have their guns out, and food stashed, yet it's as if nothing happened in Chernarus! I think that's more "SUPERNATURAL" than someone coming back from the dead as a zombie.

Or, how about how zeds will kill you, but they won't eat you afterward, yet if you pass out, they'll start eating you? That makes sense. Oh, you say they want live food? Well why did they kill you? They should have just tried to eat you in the first place.

If they're infected, then why not just have it so if a player dies by infection their body "reanimates" as a zed? It's not the fricken hard to translate from this idea, and how else would the rest of Chernarus got an infection? Magic? Like you hate?

Going off my previous suggestion, it's been 5 years, so it makes sense for them to have gear, BUT, I think that it should be on varying levels of degration. It shouldn't look like they all died at the same time and their stuff started breaking, no, but it should be items in severe disrepair or with high risk of infection, such as food and razors and ect you find on them.

And there it is.

• Like 4

I do very much like this suggestion, would definitely add variety to the game. Maybe a player could only become a zombie if they've been hit by a zombie first before they are close to death, so there was a chance that the player has actually received the infection.

It could also mean that there is a rare chance that you'd find a zombie that is an absolute gold mine (as people with good gear are less likely to die than people with less gear).

Only problem I see though is that the zombies now use a different skeleton to the players, so how the transformation would work I'm not sure...

Also if players are immune to the disease, why do they have to disinfect everything?

Because there are many, many other germs out in the world. For example, drinking dirty water can give you diarrhea, cholera, and many other diseases.

Because there are many, many other germs out in the world. For example, drinking dirty water can give you diarrhea, cholera, and many other diseases.

Yea sterilizing water makes sense, but disinfecting someones clothes doesnt really make sense if you cant catch their disease.

Clothes can carry pathogens as well. You can never be sure.

Edited by Death Dealer

This is a very interesting idea... like what OTehNoes said it'll add variety to the game. How about we change it from getting killed by a player, and turning into a zombie, And make it to where if one gets killed by a zombie, then they turn. This just makes more sense to me. Because if one just gets shot up, they're dead. They can't catch diseases, hunger, and thirst. Their immune system is dead. But when a zombie is biting, punching, whatever... then they're opening cuts on the skin and giving the disease through their teeth or whatever. Kind of like... how rabies works. And it lowers your blood (Internal bleeding from the force of the bite), until a certain amount. And then your skin starts to change, and then flys start to collect around you. And for the final touch, the screen slowly goes to the "YOUR DEAD" text. And the only way to get Cured is to either, Give a bloodbag or some special anti-biotics you could add later in the game. This would add immense danger to zombies, then ever before. Now you have a reason for an Actual pre-caution of zombies. You guys have the final say in this, but this is obviously just my opinion. ^_^

Am I the only one who doesn't truly view the infected as past people, but dead organisms that somehow managed to get their brain to reactivate, but not the portions that make up the personality and memory of a person?

I sure do like the idea your once alive character-- or any other person in DayZ-- to eventually reanimate (like in The Walking Dead), but what would it look like? Will there be specific zombie skins for each character? And will the clothes deteriorate over time, and look similar to the other zombies?

As of now, however, we don't truly know what caused the outbreak, as rocket & his brother I believe are creating a story for at the moment. Once we find out what it is, we'll question whether it would make sense in DayZ.

but dead organisms that somehow managed to get their brain to reactivate,

Once they're dead, they're dead. When something dies, its immune system (along with everything else) shuts down. I find it highly illogical to catch a disease, when dead. You rot out to a skeleton. That's why I thought of when a Zombie hits you a certain amount of times, ( I dont know how much) that it spreads the disease to you. The infection, is a disease! Hence, called the Infection. Isn't that how the Infection started? Getting bitten by a Zombie, then turning to a Zombie? When the once Civilized man turned to a zombie, the stuff in the backpack, could get VERY dirty. Weapons could deteriorate because of Termites, Flys infect the food, and moths bite many holes into it. Now... imagine seeing that at night? A dead player rotted to the core with flies buzzing around him. Is it not terrifying? I think it is.

I really like The idea, Even if it does Not "make sense" within The Game lore .. But on The other Hand there are so much Strange Things going on.

They could maybe add "Real" Zombies to The Game aswell (headshot only because they are dead) so The dead survivors rise again (maybe The reason they are immune to The infected Virus is because They already Carry The undead One??). Another Application for this could be to explain why there are "Zombies" at a helo Crash (if they where normal People/Infected they would have been killed).

On topic:

Your dead Body should lose items while Walking around, so you have to hurry up otherwise you will have a Bad Time collecting your items of The ground.

You should only rise if you don't die from a headshot.

The idea of getting infected when attacked by a carrier and very low on health is good. How about the equipment to slowly deteriorate over time? I can't imagine someone in a manic state taking good care of their night vision goggles :)