SmashT

PAX East - March 2013 - Presenation/Q&A/Interviews/Articles

Excellent! Pure excellence. All the naysayers saying that DayZ is losing public will be shamed when it finally releases.

Edited by Raged

I wish I could understand what rockets saying in the live stream though :\

I wish I could understand what rockets saying in the live stream though :\

just hearing his voice is comforting... no homo

• Like 1

I'm just happy someone is streaming it. and I hope that winter hat and red hair is in the Standalone

I saw a image of the inventory system, I am happy!

My soul for that pic.

somebody posted their 'notes' here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1avhsi/only_livestream_i_could_find_this_is_live/c913xoy

Ill post notes as I'm listening: 3:54PM

Radios. gonna add a lot of new ways to communicate, trolling others.

health system: going not for an explicit UI indicator, but more immersive ways of understanding damage to your character. Ex: you have a shock threshold, so if you take a blunt-forced hit from a bat... and this attack casuses enough shock to cross a threshold, then you'll be knocked unconscious.

3:57 They've been programming for days on end, eating very little drinking mostly energy drinks. So for your character, you're not going to be able to survive on just simple foods alone? lol (So stop complaining that it's taking too long! These guys are working their asses off)

3:58 (i missed something important about weapons..)

3:59 ROCKET: New skeleton discussion... new skeleton is gonna allow a lot of new things. It will make the first person view look really nice. ARMA only has one position, can only go 1st person, and 3rd person, but with the new skeleton youll be able to have better views.

4:00PM ROCKET: back to basics with vehicles. in august or sept. he wants it not to feel like driving big blocks of stone. he wants them to be customizable

4:01PM ROCKET: Base-building. They don't think base-building above ground will work, not enough space. They're wanting to go underground, like instances in skyrim. They're talking end of the year for this, they want to get the alpha out first.

4:02PM ROCKET: community streaming... they're going to devote some kind of camera mode, like a spec camera? to assist streamers in doing live streams of tournaments. (watch some old streams of live events and youll see how problematic it can be to effecively broadcast live firefights, etc.)

4:03PM ROCKET: questions?

STREAM END. STREAM BACK

4:05.. (missed the question.) Something about making it so being a doctor is more 'doable?'... "is it still going to be kill on sight? or are clans going to be much more important? we dont want to force anything'

4:06 (can't hear the question) 'We don't know how players are going to defeat the underground bases. You're going to build your own security systems. Kind of like minecraft, building your own circuitry, we want something like that' 'its going to be a real challence, particularly for a solo player.' 'i guess the short answer is that we're going to make the players figure out how to use the tools we're giving them'

4:08: QUESTION: (poorly phrased question about all this new stuff detracting from something something game experience) 'yeah thats a real danger...'

4:09: QUESTION (one of my favorite part of the game is trading, what about that?) 'were going to implement a trading screen. your stuff will be on one side, youll drag your stuff to your 'share hole', there will still be an element of being able to screw soemone over, but (missed this). some kind swapping mechanism'

4:10 QUESTION (can i trade you a can of beans? something something) applause! (some of best/worst times player games ever, we just want to know: who is shooting in cherno??) (what are you gonna do about server hopping?) ROCKET: 'we havn't gotten to that at the moment, tidying up (missed this), the central server will recognize youve been server hopping, and if you do it again, well lock you out. (Something about turning an annoyance into a feature.)'

4:13 QUESTION (my fav part of the game is that 1-5 seconds where you see somebody. do they see me? yes they do. are they gonna kill me? might be come your friend, or enemy... im wondering... what if you dont see the person, and they're behind you. are you gonna have any direct communication, more like a whisper? (i think hes asking if they're going to have whispering, diff volumes of direct comm)) ROCKET: ' yeah, forums talked about this. we might have 2 forms of direct chat... havn't confirmed it, because its low priority right now, but its on the design schedule.

4:14 QUESTION (missed it sorry guys, hard to hear some of this stuff) weapons are recorded as strings in arma, but in dayz theyr'e objects. So we can have magazines as an entity, so you can fill up a magazine. if you only have one magaizine, and 3000 bullets, after you empty the magazine, youll have to refill it (taking some time). so magazines need to be found in addition to just bullets.

4:15 QUESTION (what are you doing to make the end game, anything youre going to implement to still have fun in the game without bring out just pure combat?) ROCKET: Having balanced that griefing vs that neeed for the threat of pvp... and how do we balance that? The only thing so far, we want to add more stuff to do. The requirement for social interaction will be much higher. in the Mod, only need a friend for blood transfusion, weve ramped that up a lot. (something something advanced classes, or developing skills so you depend on each other, like somebody developing advanced doctor skills, while soembody else is a mechanic, and you need each other to survive.)

4:18 QUESTION (lot of times, server get saturated with high power weapons... takes the fun from everybody starting out basic. are you going to address this?) ROCKET: yeah we're dealing with that on multiple fronts. We're going back to basics... we have to get the basic game design right first... (something about addons/attachments for weapons). ... We want to bring in modding later, but first we need to deal with hacking. (something about a balance between making hacking impossible and allowing for mods)

4:21 QUESTION (can't hear the guy...) (audio cuts right when dean starts talking.. )

4:23(stream still fucked up)

4:26 QUESITON: [will animals become a threat? not just standing/moving food] ROCKET: yeah we want to do that. we need to make new animations. The hunting element will be expanded a lot more. It's a lot more work than we expected, having dogs, [because the dogs AI is complicated]

4:26 QUESTION [only place i wanted to go to was NW airfield. I didnt see much of the rest of the map. are you making sure ppl ahve other reasons to go other areas?] ROCKET: thats a good point. every building, and every (SOMETHING) in the whole map spawns items. What we're going to do, ... apt builidngs near cherno, youre going to be scavenging... [another developer] is overseeing adding whole new areas of the map... the forest is kind of useless, so they're redoing it. new satellite data to use for textures, reallye xpanding areas. Thanks.'

4:28 QUESTION [are you going to allow spawwning with friends? know wherre they are?] ROCKET: [well yeah we thougth about it, but we also know a big part of the game is the adventure tryign to meet up.]

4:29 QUESTION (somethign something ARMA 3, something night time?) ROCKET: [night time right now looks terrible. we're working on it]

4:30 QUESTION (b/c youre focusing on melee, are you gonna be able to hit somebody with the butt of your gun... ?) ROCKET: [We're thinking of doing it if you're really close to somebody and hit the trigger, youll bash them.]

*Done. Applause. Sorry if I missed anything. * I heard what I could through the stream.

See in you in cherno fuckers

-DocBrown

• Like 2

Part two - probably not embedded cause im newb *edit - apparently Im cooler than I thought

Edited by Nithren

Anyone notice the dude in Red at the end of part 2? wtf...

The third part is being uploaded, at least half an hour and it may be ready.

I'm kind of curious how they're gonna reach a balance with having so many loot spawns and 'survival'

I'm not particularly fond of having 'trash' loot everywhere either. although it seems like they're trying to find ways to make the trash loot more useful

Not a big fan of the hotbar, i like the old inventory better as of now but we shall see, everything else is amazing great work rocket keep it up!

I'm kind of curious how they're gonna reach a balance with having so many loot spawns and 'survival'

As he said, Lower Item probability, But he also said in the alpha, there will be fewer weapons.

Not a big fan of the hotbar, i like the old inventory better as of now but we shall see, everything else is amazing great work rocket keep it up!

I didn't like the idea at first, but now that I see there's time and animations in between, I don't really have a problem with it. but to be fair, I didn't see him use it to actually switch between stuff, rather he was just using it to toggle his weapon

As he said, Lower Item probability, But he also said in the alpha, there will be fewer weapons.

I was thinking about in the context of how it compares to the mod now, where there's fewer enterable buildings, fewer loot spawns, 'trash loot' in many of those few loot spawns, but never the less with a little experience it becomes 'too easy' to survive

I think I'm also getting thrown off by the fact that in these demos he just puts cans of food everywhere. I really didn't even consider than most of the loot spawns could just be empty...

Edited by daze23
  • Like 1