45 replies to this topic

#41 mintypie007

mintypie007

Survivor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:54 PM

He's probably refering to how you can't find normal DayZ anymore. Most servers are modded to make the game easier, or more COD-like. "9000+ vehicles," "Starting gear," "Increased loot," all that crap. People may enjoy it, but it isn't really DayZ.

Adding a few more cars (900 is too many) and a few news guns doesnt really ruin dayz to me. The autorefuel pushes it, but there is a way to balance everything. On my server I.have included some new things but have changed loot spawn rates, helis that are placed ate well guarded by by some seriously difficult military unitswho have a chance to have the rarest loot. They patrol as well. It has led to most ppl on my server banding together so they dont die. It has been a while since i heard someone say they were scared to explore alone. I remember when I first started and tactically moved past every tree. That is why I loved it. Dayz needs to change so ppl are uncomfortable. maybe zombies need to be more dynamic in some way to achieve this.

1031788.png

Teamspeak is available for general gaming needs. Come play with our small community.

We host anything from Arma to Minecraft all on requests from players.

#42 SausageKingofChicago

SausageKingofChicago

Hardcore is too Easymode

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2950 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:01 PM

Server hopping in SA - not big deal. There will be noobs 100% who will do that but I dont see HUGE problem here - let them do it. They can spend hours hooping servers and getting gear and then get killed as soon will leave the house, area what ever, with pistol ... and thay are back in spawnzone.

If they are not hackers I don't care much about them. I have killed lots of them in beginning of Dayz, I will kill a lot of them in SA - call me a noob bandit - I will call you a noob server hopper :D

It's a huge deal. Hopping is used for more than just farming. Any type of combat situation between groups will immediately be ruined by people who will hop to another server, reposition themselves, and jump back in behind the other group. This is simply stupid and far more immersion breaking than a silly can. Same goes for the farmers who hop around in the barracks and magically come out of a room you were just in and mow you down. Add a well organized group to the mix and the farmers/hoppers will have a home server with that specific location locked down so the hoppers can unload their loot in safety and maybe even catch a ride back to the farm sites if they do get killed.

It's a huge deal and a clever solution has to be devised if they don't want the public hive infested with exploiters.

#43 Maloney

Maloney

Survivor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationHinamizawa

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:37 PM

Cooldown's between when you can leave and join another server might fix this? I am certain the devs will sort it out somehow, I can't imagine them releasing the SA with such a game-breaking exploit in the hands of arseholes.

I don't like bandits. I don't like zombies. I don't like starving.
But it makes Chernarus a little more interesting.

- Dallas

#44 WelshWizard

WelshWizard

Woodland Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:19 PM

Dunno if this is even possible to implement (or already been suggested) - but in league of legends right (i know totally different game, set up, system - whatever) when you leave a match early or just the lobby you have to wait 15 - 30mins before you can join another, perhaps something like this could be added in if you attempt to server hop - make your client wait 30mins before you can connect to a different server. Instant join same server you were previously on (in case you lose connection - whatever) - but give a time penalty if you attempt to join a different server. This would also have an effect on ppl attempting to ghost :)

Prob not possible - just a thought.

This is the best solution as far as I can see. Simple to implement and no immersion breaking side effects. Alot of people are over complicating it and looking for the perfect solution where none exists. All that can be done is mitigation.

A 15 minute penalty every time you try to join a different server than the last one you played on (if you last played on that server less than 15 mins ago) would curb hopping nicely. For instance, if you're at a barracks and hop to two other servers before returning, you've just spent 45 mins of your life watching a timer count down.

It also pretty much eradicates ghosting as it would take 30mins to exploit your new position.

A penalty like this isn't too much of an inconvenience to people who change servers for genuine reasons either. If you log on for the first time in a day to find your home server is full, you incurr no penalty (> 15mins since I last played). If I lose connection and someone takes my place, I can either wait till a slot opens up and join instantly, or wait a max of 15 mins and join a different server.

KISS.
  • Epic David gave their beans

#45 The Shadow

The Shadow

Survivor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • LocationLurking the Shadows

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:06 PM

Because 'casual gamer' implies that I'm talking about people who spend a few hours playing it every now and again, and not spasticated ADD-infested immature pricks seeking instant gratification.

plus, calling other people 'casuals' implies that I'm not. That I'm some kind of hipster gamer. 'Yeah, I played CoD before it was cool and I never kill people.'

'CoD Kiddie' just very eloquently brings to mind the kind of associations I want it to. That's what a word, or title, should do.

But CoD Kiddie is a stereotypical name which doesnt describe all of the population, I have played every CoD but i dont kill for fun/KoS?

You cant complain about something which you can do nothing about. Dayz is about playing your own style and making your own story, if people want to play like they do, they will continue to do so, no matter what you say so you just have to learn to live with it.

Its like sitting and complaining about fuel prices and how nowadays its expensive because of the governments raising prices. Yes, 15 years ago fuel was a quarter of the price but now its not and there's nothing you can do about it. If there is nothing you can do about it, you learn to live with it and get on with life.

You will always come across people who want to do nothing but PvP no matter what game you play so why sit making stupid phrases to describe them and insulting the population of them over a forum, when you can just get on with the game and playing it how you want to play.

No one here is criticising how you have fun when playing a game so why should you criticise and degrade others on how they play a game?

Edit - Also why bring ADD into it? Are you one of those people who like to discriminate people with disorders?

Edited by The Shadow, 19 March 2013 - 06:11 PM.

Posted Image

"Roaming the lands through cover and shadow"

#46 Xianyu

Xianyu

Bean King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:45 PM

But CoD Kiddie is a stereotypical name which doesnt describe all of the population, I have played every CoD but i dont kill for fun/KoS?

You cant complain about something which you can do nothing about. Dayz is about playing your own style and making your own story, if people want to play like they do, they will continue to do so, no matter what you say so you just have to learn to live with it.

Its like sitting and complaining about fuel prices and how nowadays its expensive because of the governments raising prices. Yes, 15 years ago fuel was a quarter of the price but now its not and there's nothing you can do about it. If there is nothing you can do about it, you learn to live with it and get on with life.

You will always come across people who want to do nothing but PvP no matter what game you play so why sit making stupid phrases to describe them and insulting the population of them over a forum, when you can just get on with the game and playing it how you want to play.

No one here is criticising how you have fun when playing a game so why should you criticise and degrade others on how they play a game?

Edit - Also why bring ADD into it? Are you one of those people who like to discriminate people with disorders?

Newsflash: I'm ADHD and played around about 2000 matches of CoD Black Ops. I fucking hate the FAMAS with a passion and think anyone who used it should have their own place in hell RESERVED.

I use these terms because they summon up the imagery I want it to. What else am I meant to call them?

'Those people who just want to PVP and KoS all the time'?

Or 'CoD kiddies'? I think I know which one I'll stick one.

This is a forum.

This is the internet.

We don't need to be 'politically correct'. Fuck, I'll take 'correct' half of the time and be happy. Stop getting so up in arms because the fanbase of one of the games you play is used to derogatorily refer to a group of people.

Unless you intend to tell me that CoD HASN'T devolved into 12 year olds twitch-shooters doing their stupid 'trick shots' and 'no scopes' and bullshit like that?

P.S. I criticize others on how they play the game - namely the PvP CoD kiddies who backstab and spend their time sniping people from hillsides, thinking that they're somehow 'cool' for it - because they ruin the game for the people who DON'T want to play like that. Wanna be friendly? You can't.

Find a survivor. Walk up. Say 'friendly'. Repeat, ten times. On a server without side chat. I'd say do it on a Hive server, but that's a joke, considering there's like two left.

Now tell me how many times you got shot in the face.

Extra points if you have a primary weapon when you do it. if you're unarmed, there's about a 3% higher chance of not getting your face fucked with bullets.

the 'KoS' mentality brought in by the 'casual' gamers has bled through to every single player. No one is friendly. No one pretends that anyone else might be. Even myself, who hunts bandits, I do not reveal myself to ANYONE. Period. Why? Because the ADD as fuck CoD kiddies will shoot you on sight, the 'bandits' will kill you for your loot, and then 2% of the population will run away because they either A) have no weapon, or B) actually want to play a zombie survival game.

Leaving the remaining 1% of players to actually go 'hey, a survivor, maybe we can team up! :D '

But don't worry, the CoD kiddies are hard at work teaching that 1% fucking moron that trusting ANYONE for ANY reason at ANY time will only earn you a bullet in the back.

Edited by Xianyu, 19 March 2013 - 06:52 PM.

I hunt bandits. I generally don't miss.

Find me before I find you, bandits.