florian.de.los.santos@googlemail.com

[SA] Usable Indoor Fireplaces

I don't see why this isnt popular and no forum team replies wow.

Loved this! Having a place to go during shitty weather would be great. Also +1 for labeled keys and the great sensation of looting and searching for someone else's 'hidden treasures'. Maybe a chest inside each house...

And being able to reinforce windows/doors when surrounded by hundreds of incoming zombies. Ask for some buddies to distract the zombies and make a run for it... now THAT would be awesome. Night of the living dead FTW!

Edited by Hal-9000
  • Like 1

yeah this is an awesome idea!

but really only if cold has an actual effect on the player.

honestly, exposure is probably the biggest danger in this scenario... shelter usually (depends on environment) comes before food when surviving so i think it would be really silly to not go in depth on the exposure mechanics of the game.

cold should be able to kill you. it should really force you to do things you know are dangerous (like lighting a fire at night and welcoming bandits)

if there is no danger from cold, then no one is going to have fires because they are just superficial and not worth the risk.

• Like 1

And another sub topic I dont mean to get off topic but how about box of matches have a random amount inside each time you get a box every 5-6 you light 1 could break due you being a cold scaredy cat with bitch fingers

Nice idea.

It would also be nice if windows could be blacked out in some way to help avoid detection...Though, I suppose the smoke would be something of a giveaway.

And another sub topic I dont mean to get off topic but how about box of matches have a random amount inside each time you get a box every 5-6 you light 1 could break due you being a cold scaredy cat with bitch fingers

Yea, I've read about something like that in another suggestion - I like it. Would be cool if they'd add multiple tools to start a fire of different characteristics and rarity. Those could be valued somewhat like this:

bow drill - craftable from wood and sinew/cord, low success rate, unlimited uses

matches - moderate success rate, limited uses

lighter - adequate success rate, limited uses, non-refillable

storm lighter - high success rate, more uses than lighter, reliable under hard conditions, refillable (if you have a jerry can?)

fire steel - high success rate, reliable under hard conditions, unlimited uses

Maybe you could even raise the success rate if you find tinder :)

Edited by Santosh

Yea, I've read about something like that in another suggestion - I like it. Would be cool if they'd add multiple tools to start a fire of different characteristics and rarity. Those could be valued somewhat like this:

bow drill - craftable from wood and sinew/cord, low success rate, unlimited uses

matches - moderate success rate, limited uses

lighter - adequate success rate, limited uses, non-refillable

storm lighter - high success rate, more uses than lighter, reliable under hard conditions, refillable (if you have a jerry can?)

fire steel - high success rate, reliable under hard conditions, unlimited uses

Maybe you could even raise the success rate if you find tinder :)

I don't think unbreakable items should exist in the game, because such things don't exist in reality. Unbreakable items would have huge undesirable implications on gameplay as well, such as the reduced need to either scavenge for or craft new items.

The fact that a fire striker (fire steel) is a friction based fire starter means that it would inevitably experience some amount of wear over time, especially if struck against stone.

EDIT: Craftable matches?

Edited by TheSodesa

I don't think unbreakable items should exist in the game, because such things don't exist in reality. Unbreakable items would have huge undesirable implications on gameplay as well, such as the reduced need to either scavenge for or craft new items.

The fact that a fire striker (fire steel) is a friction based fire starter means that it would inevitably experience some amount of wear over time, especially if struck against stone.

EDIT: Craftable matches?

A good fire steel can be used for approximately 12000 ignitions. So that could last you for several years and even decades! Adding a limitation would just be unnecessary and end up making it more unrealistic. Some simple tools can simply last for a life time. They just need to make them somewhat rare so that shouldn't be a problem gameplay-wise.

i think this is an awesome idea and really would take relatively little effort to add, but in the long run would make houses more functional as a shelter

Recycling old thought: would also be cool if u could write on walls. Then u could plaster warnings for anyone approaching your cosy shelter. A fire place could also act as a trap for both players and infected... and even you. The rush every time u would abandon the house for fear a sniper has spoted the smoke and is now baring down on you...

Recycling old thought: would also be cool if u could write on walls.

That would be cool if you could find spraypaint and be able to use that to draw anything on walls.

more than likely the first spray paint you find will be on a corpse next to a half done painting splattered with the artists blood.

also, this idea would require so incredibly little to add.

1.) when you're near a fireplace, if you have wood and matches, add the option on the scroll menu to build fire

2.) put a regular ass camping fire inside the woodstove or fireplace

3.) add a smoke grenade to the top of the chimney when the fire is lit

4.) bask in the glory of how the arma engine handles light radius

5.) get sniped.

Edited by djzombie

Still think the Brokeback DayZ would come into effect

Still think the Brokeback DayZ would come into effect

do you mean an obscene number of penis drawings?

if so, add a hidden modifier to player made drawings that identifies them on the server logs, with their ip name, location of the drawing, so you can look it up if there are complaints, and then with that info you can take appropriate action.

or you can say screw it, this is sparta, put on your sunglasses and *deal with it* like any reasonable admin.

its just skin clarice.

Edited by djzombie

I think that painting windows black to stop light from shining through would be neat.

Sure you can set up camp in a house. But unless you have painted the windows then you are gonna be a beacon in the night. Dont get me wrong. The smoke from your chimney would still remain. (and people could shoot out the glass in the windows unless you have boarded them up)

• Like 1

do you mean an obscene number of penis drawings?

if so, add a hidden modifier to player made drawings that identifies them on the server logs, with their ip name, location of the drawing, so you can look it up if there are complaints, and then with that info you can take appropriate action.

or you can say screw it, this is sparta, put on your sunglasses and *deal with it* like any reasonable admin.

its just skin clarice.

what?

Soo how would everybody feel about the idea that infected could bash down doors with enough force, for example an angry mob but a single zombie couldn't break through on its own, it could bash on the door for hrs but he would obviously lure infected friends if they were close by..and they could also bash through fortified house positions with the old wooden planks nailed over the windows (provided we see that feature at all)

Its a bit of a tricky one I think because if there's going to be lots and lots of zombies in SA it will only take 1 to anger a horde that will trash your entire "survivor pad" unless you are with a team of pals.. BAH who knows its a good idea i think, just another idea so you arent completley protected if above ground..Im a strong beleiver that your domicile can never be completely inpenetrable from infected.. there should always be a way they can get into your house if alerted and if you happen to be outnumbered with out enough ammo,(worst case scenario) but if you have a good team you can hold out, i dont beleive this goes against the "lone wolf" players.. more so an emphasis on working together along with stealth and discipline so your house doesnt get over run. You just have to be patient if you want to leave and wait till the sun goes down to use the cover of darkness.

As hard as they can make the game be, you just always have to be thinking of some kind of back up plan to stay 2 steps ahead, even if its as simple as an escape route out a window from the 2nd floor. Making the player(s) aware that there situation inside the fortified house is never completely safe, will make them appreciate the fact of always having to consider the unexpected thus being prepared!

You can never be to safe in dayz you see

Edited by liquidcactus

This is great, and is an idea I have been planning to implement for quite some time on my own island I'm making for ARMA3/dayz based on the STALKER world:

http://www.meshcarver.blogspot.com/

If you scroll down to the 6th march, HOUSE 03 entry, you can see ref to this idea, so I am fully in agreement with OPs suggestion..!! :)

• Like 1

To add to this too, imo, it's a great random situation generator that you could be seen easily from outside when it's dark, as ANY passing survivor/bandit gets a free pass on your position.

That being said, who's to say you haven't already thought of that and have placed your team mate with NV and sniper rifle on that distant hill covering your huts only entrance and are using yourself as bait?

Talk about a tense situation... ;)

I think this is a great idea- it's practical, not very performance killing and it adds both immersion and gameplay possibilities... And yes, as far as smoke goes, someone mentioned earlier it just needs a particle emmiter adding to the top of every chimney- something I was planning to do anyway on my islands buildings... Even a tiny light source to be turned on once fire is lit, like a variant on the glow stick one just at the top of the chimney so the underside of the smoke particles get under lit as it'd look more authentic.

Edited by meshcarver
  • Like 1