cf3kylerees

Shovel (new weapon/equipment)

So i was in college and i train in construction skills, i was holding a shovel and was thinking about getting home and playing DayZ! And that's when the idea hit me.

This would be a melee weapon similar to the crowbar or hatchet. It could also be used for other things like digging holes, trenches and any other stuff you may think off.

Another idea could be you can only hide bodies if you have a shovel and maybe there could be an animation of you digging a hole and burying a body.

so feel free to share your ideas relevant to the shovel and please don't hate, it's only an idea.

Edited by CF3KyleRees
  • Like 2

I've got an idea. You need a spoon to eat beans. And, of course, can opener.

• Like 1

The entrenching tool would make a cool weapon, and the ability to dig fox holes would be amazing.

As for the spoon and can opener, lol use a knife :)

The entrenching tool would make a cool weapon, and the ability to dig fox holes would be amazing.

I used, now I have a smile from ear to ear. Stupid idea :D

I used, now I have a smile from ear to ear. Stupid idea :D

Lol be smart when using sharp objects :P

I still like the idea of having multiple tools to do the same job.

Like a firefighteraxe, a hatchet and a combat-axe f.e.

firefighter axe could be primary weapon, as it is larg. hatchet secondary in inventory and combat-axe (the ones from military store) secondary with add to toolbelt feature.

in the same sense, you could have a large shovel, a small shovel and entrenching tool. All usable as a weapon, but different due to their size.

A large shovel as well as a firefighter axe would do more damage in close combat than the smaller ones, but as a tool, the smaller ones are better to carry around.

20x matches, 10x waterproof matches and zippo-lighter; pocket-knife, kombat knife, machete; could all be used the same way.

• Like 2

I've got an idea. You need a spoon to eat beans. And, of course, can opener.

Yeah, except you don't need a spoon to eat beans, and I think some of the cans have tabs on the top so you don't need a can opener.

But if you want to dig a grave with your bare hands, then have fun.

@LiquidMind: I was also thinking about replacing the current axe (it's too big! not a hatchet) with a large axe that could be found in fire stations, schools, barns, etc, and a one-handed hatchet that would take up less space and could be a secondary weapon.

I would like to see a shovel, that would be cool, right now you can't actually dig into the map but that could change in standalone with talk of underground bases and such. In the current engine it could allow people to make a little pile or wall of grassy dirt to hide behind for ambushes and such.

@LiquidMind: I was also thinking about replacing the current axe (it's too big! not a hatchet) with a large axe that could be found in fire stations, schools, barns, etc, and a one-handed hatchet that would take up less space and could be a secondary weapon.

I think having a few larger axes, that are common, might help to find a quick start into the game. Once you have a woodcutters-axe, you should be able to defend yourself.

I could imagine, that using a shovel, you could vary the length of the animation. the same for axes.

using a small axe, might take 5 hits on a tree (5x sound), while a large axe might use only 1 or 2 hits.

A larger shovel could therefor improve the speed of building. But the larger tool cannot be transported that easily.

If you had a large axe, a large shovel an a large toolbox, which all take up 10 slots like a main weapon, your inventory is full, just wearing the essential tools.

I think it would be a good thing, to have to decide which tool you want to take with you.

I don't like the notion, that there is 1 worst item and 1 best item, and you replace your items as soon as you find something better.

A lone wolf, with a small camp, might only carry the essentials to move quickly. a large group might specialize. But it should be an active decision.

I thought that was the worst part about the backpacks, as everyone just switched to the larger pack, due to there not being any disadvantage in switching. (i also want backpacks to spawn as "packed backpack", using 1/3 (rounded) of the slots it offers in inventory (24 slot would then need 8 slots to be carried in inventory and the option to "place backpack as stash" so it isn't deleted on server-restart.)

Edit: Just a thought. Maybe someone with insight might be able to tell me if that is possible:

There was a request for throwing-knives, ninja stars and stuff like that. Melee are currently "pistols" with invisible bullets.

Would it be possible to take the knife model, turn it around 180° so the character holds it on the blade, not the handle, and define it as a pistol, that shoots knifes?

I imagine, if the "shot" was 5-10m straight forward, then continuously dropping to the ground, should give a somewhat realistic implementation of throwing-knives. (or as a "last bullet", throw your makarov at the enemy)

Could anyone who knows a bit about the code tell me if that would be possible in general or if there is something about the code i missed, that makes that impossible?

Edited by liquidmind

So you all are you suggesting a lobotomizer? or something similar to one of those Chinese Army multipurpose shovels?

Edit: Spelling

Edited by q1p0

Pfft i use my teeth.

:B

Edited by GOD™