Antipop (DayZ)

Want to host a DayZ Server? Read in here.

BEWARE - The same restrictions apply to privately run servers!

- IT MAY NEVER BE PASSWORDED

- NO EXCESS KEYS OR MODS

- NO KICKING TO MAKE ROOM FOR 'FRIENDS' OR CLANMATES

- IT'S YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO UPDATE YOUR SERVER TO THE LATEST VERSION OF DAYZ

Failure to adhere to these rules will BAN YOUR SERVER'S IP from DayZ.

Regards' date='

Matt

[/quote']

What is the reasoning behind this? These servers are not cheap to set up or maintain, so why can't people password protect them?

That is a good point -and the only thing holding me back from putting this game up on our fleet of servers.

Dedicated servers (at least the dual-quad core boxes we use) are expensive to maintain and run. Our community-run servers are funded through member donations (as are most gaming clan/community servers), and asking the people who pay for the hardware to stand line to use it is never sustainable.

What I would recommend is simply a server member "whitelisting system" for those that want to use it. While I'm sure there are charitable folks out there who don;t mind funding the hardware for public players, there are far more community-driven servers that require priority access for the people that pay the bills.

I have a dual-hexacore server standing by with 32GB and 2 SSD's simply waiting for a legal way to only allow access to the folks who pay for that server.

Please implement the ability for server hosts to whitelist players (and, of course, annotate that in the server browser so public players don;t waste their time trying to connect). Do that, and you'll have a legion of hosts lining up to support the mod. :D

What about for people that donate to keep the server running?

What about me, I'm going to be paying out of pocket for this server? Am I not allowed to make room on my own server?

What about for people that donate to keep the server running?

What about me' date=' I'm going to be paying out of pocket for this server? Am I not allowed to make room on my own server?

[/quote']

That's the one rule that I don't support.

I'm currently working on a way to provide DayZ mod servers with all the requirements needed by the DayZ Team. Once I get some sort of system up I'll be providing them at highly discounted rates.

Stay tuned.

antipop, i followed up to your email address and cc'ed dayzdevteam.

It's not that' date=' my provider let's me switch to any OS including windows for free at any time. But I don't like using Windows because it's slow and a significant resource hog, not to mention having to deal with a GUI on a server (lol) over a command line. I'd also have to wipe everything I have now to reinstall which is another pain.

[/quote']

Ever play with win 2k8 server core? it's been a couple of years since i set one up, but a much smaller resource foot print than the typical win server install. better security too, as it installs only like a fifth of the typical windows crap. no gui, just cli and powershell.

So you only need a quad core at 3ghz? So fairly low specs than considering at how massive arma2 is. I run like 20~ source engine servers off a Dual L5420s (2.5ghz). So I'm fairly optimistic here

I'm also very interested in setting up a server, but I'm not going to pay $50 a month so me and my guildmates can wait in Q like any other server. I have no problem with the server being public, but if me and my guildmates can't use the server when we want to play, I really see no point in wasting the resources to end up in the same position we are already in.

Also, I've seen servers that run DayZ and are password protected. I've also seen DayZ servers that kick people to make room for others. Can we get some clarification on this issue?

Thanks for your time.

Brandon

Can the server admin choose the time zone?

ie can i have it set to GMT -6 regardless of my country?

Brandon,

I've had that question a few times. I'll just stress the rules here again. I've talked it over with Rocket, and the deal is;

There is to be NO kicking of players (Unless obviously for legit reasons) to make room for clan mates/friends etc.

There is to be NO password on any server. We're looking into those that have passwords, but the majority are testing servers which are fine.

It's still extremely early in the development process and the amount of new players this mod is getting is incredible, and to deal with demand we have to stick to these rules. It might not be alright for some, I for one sometimes can't get into my own server, but it's a community game, built for and by the community, not clans or others.

Any clarification on these rules, please email me.

Matt

I know my guild members have been discussing the idea of hosting a server. However I'm wondering if its unreasonable for a guild to have its own passworded server provided they also host public servers. For Example if we were to host 4 servers 3 being public 50+ servers and the 4th being a private passworded server. Then we would have the "reserved space" for our members so to speak and the community would have more space as well. Our guild at its peak has in the past boasted as many as ~400 active members so I dont think its unreasonable for guilds to want to take care of their members.

I'm also very interested in setting up a server' date=' but I'm not going to pay $50 a month so me and my guildmates can wait in Q like any other server. I have no problem with the server being public, but if me and my guildmates can't use the server when we want to play, I really see no point in wasting the resources to end up in the same position we are already in.

Also, I've seen servers that run DayZ and are password protected. I've also seen DayZ servers that kick people to make room for others. Can we get some clarification on this issue?

Thanks for your time.

Brandon

[/quote']

I'd love to know where you'd find an ARMA2 server for $50. Unless its like 10-20 slots

Hi, I send an email two days ago and no reply, maybe a lot of work for theDayz staff.

I have few questions about running a Dayz server:

-what would be the process load for a 20, 30, 40 and 50 slots server ?

-Is there any traduction of this mod in French ? otherwise we could help

We have a i5 2400 (3.1 ghz), 16Gb ram, 2T hard disk, and 100 mbits and no restriction on bandwidth, also the server is running on Win 2008.

We would be pleased to be part of this great adventure

Les Tigres Blancs Badaboum

@Antipop

im sure y have a lot of work :) but im still waiting for my informations to host the server :)

Brandon' date='

I've had that question a few times. I'll just stress the rules here again. I've talked it over with Rocket, and the deal is;

There is to be NO kicking of players (Unless obviously for legit reasons) to make room for clan mates/friends etc.

There is to be NO password on any server. We're looking into those that have passwords, but the majority are testing servers which are fine.

It's still extremely early in the development process and the amount of new players this mod is getting is incredible, and to deal with demand we have to stick to these rules. It might not be alright for some, I for one sometimes can't get into my own server, but it's a community game, built for and by the community, not clans or others.

Any clarification on these rules, please email me.

Matt

[/quote']

Your mod, your rules.

I for one will not be putting money towards a server until this changes, however.

Hi,

I mailed you a few nights back already with regards to a South African server we want to set up. These are roughly the steps we've determined we need to take to get the whole thing up and running;

1- Log onto Steam account on the server

2- Download both games

3- Install Operation Arrowhead Dedicated server from the tools library

4- Download all the DayZ files from here

5- Install DayZ mod in ArmA 2 folder. I'm not sure how the installation for this works, as it's confusing as hell, however, here's a Youtube vid showing how to install it.

6- Copy 'Addon' folder from ArmA 2 folder in Steam/SteamApps/Common over to the Operation Arrowhead folder

7- Download DayZ server files here. Extract them into the Operation Arrowhead server folder.

8- Download generated mission here, using the mission ID they're sending us.

9- Put the generated mission file into MPmissions folder of arma2combined server.

10- Open up server.cfg inside Cfgdayz folder and edit the lines according to your preference

a. Hostname, remember to keep the DayZ Zombie RPG server prefix.

b. PasswordAdmin, change it to something and make sure to tell Dayz what it is, this is used by us to administrate the server, so we can make sure everyone having a good time.

c. Missions, change dayz_INSTANCEID.Chernarus to the id given by email or Dayz server administrator, example dayz_141.Chernarus.

11- Open up BEServer.cfg inside cfgdayz\BattlEye of your server directory, and change dayzrconpassword to something by your preference, also remember to tell this to the Dayz Administrators.

12- You should now have a running server by just starting start_DayzServer.bat

So, I think that about covers it. However, we can unfortunately not supply RDP details, as there's too much red tape surrounding that right now, seeing as less than a month ago the official site was taken down by Brazilian hackers and was down for a few days while security was updated, just to have the site attacked again within hours of going live again. Naturally, trust is a bit hard to come by from the higher ups, so they won't consent to giving out RDP details.

Is it possible for us to set the entire server up ourselves, and if so, how do we go about getting an instance ID, because I've mailed you for one twice over the course of a few days, but have received no response as of yet.

Anyone recommend any good server hosts?

I think what you'd need to do for arma2 is just rent a dedicated box or vps/vds, buying per slot seems just too expensive.

saying that I have a spare box floating around, a Dual L5420 , 10 gb ram , 250 gb HD.

But I'm still waiting for the mod files to set up a test on resource usage to narrow down the price.