Infinity-NL

Is it still worth it?

(I'm sorry if this isn't supposed to be in here .. )

Hello there,

So; ARMA3 is coming up and I have yet to buy ARMA2, which I really want to (especially cause of DayZ mod) .. but my question to you is; Is the game still worth buying, even with ARMA3 coming up in a month or two?

Please take in mind that i'm a total noob :-3 I don't mind spending 20 bucks on the game, but I'd prefer not to if I can't learn to handle the game in the short time that I have till ARMA3.

Some advice would really be appreciated!

-Infinity NL

(been spending hours on YouTube looking at DayZ gameplay vids.. heh )

UPDATE - UPDATE - UPDATE:

I have bought the game the evening when I posted this on forums, thanks for all the great feedback that I have received because this game is SOOOO worth it! I'm well on my way to

learning the DayZ mod and it's going quite well actually! Someone on here contacted me through private messages and I joined his server and he has helped me a lot today. Tomorrow I'll have to do it on my own so we'll see how that goes!

MONEY WELL SPEND :D

Edited by Infinity-NL

DayZ Mod in my opinion is definitely worth the price by itself, but by the sounds of it you're an Arma fan so I'd say go for it. I'm sure there won't be any good mods for Arma 3 right off the bat, whereas Amra II you have DayZ, Wasteland, Ace, among many, many other good mods.

If you're worried about the hackers in DayZ, just find a nice whitelisted server like Balota Buddies and you'll be fine.

Edited by (TMW)HerrJon

sounds like you want to play arma 2 aswell so its a big yes if you just want to play dayz i would say wait for the SA

As I say many, many times.

Buy it, buy it soon. there is more to Arma 2 than DayZ, much much much more. Other mods, even other zombie mods, lots to play with.

When the SA finally gets here there will be a community still working on the Mod. Improvements and new additions. I also love the fact there are so many maps for the Mod whereas maps for the SA will probably take a back seat due to development and improvements. We will get maps for the SA just after a while.

Buy it and be a part of it, you will love it.

Forget about Arma3, they will first milk out the DayZ mod for another year, trust me, Arma3 will not be here before , if we are lucky, the end of the year !

The one thing that is holding me back is that I think that ARMA2 veterans are not exactly waiting for 'noobs' to come along ..

I guess that playing a game makes it worthwhile is if you meet the right people to hang out with and i'm afraid that, that might be a challenge for me if I join ARMA2 community and i'll end up playing the game for a week or 2 and quit .. but yeah I will give it some more thought and there's a chance I might be buying it today/tonight.

Thanks for the replies so far :)

I'm not sure about the Arma community since I just stick to my TMW clan, but there are plenty of dayz groups that are welcoming to newbies who mess around with other Arma mods as well, usually wasteland, so you could start there I suppose if you're looking for a group.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/forum/69-clan-group-recruitment/

"Forget about Arma3, they will first milk out the DayZ mod for another year, trust me, Arma3 will not be here before , if we are lucky, the end of the year !"

Don't listen to that, he's has no information whatsoever.

ArmAII/CO is priced at 19.99 € on Steam & BIS store.

The game itself is worth the money + DayZ Mod + I recommend Wasteland, another game mode.

Don't worry about newbs, most people here only bought the game within the past six months and very few have played vanilla ArmAII/CO or anything else, apart from DayZ..

Just make sure your computer is up to the job and read the installation Guides.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/10051-index-of-helpful-threads/#entry104583

Go for it, prepare for the future and profit.

• Like 3

DO NOT BUY IT. The mod will be awesome for like a week, but then you stop playing it and it becomes a hassal to wait a crap ton of time to a poorly optimized game. Arma 2 is garbage, so if you want basically a week of gameplay, get it, if not, dont. I was suckered in by this garbage and wish I can have my money back

DO NOT BUY IT. The mod will be awesome for like a week, but then you stop playing it and it becomes a hassal to wait a crap ton of time to a poorly optimized game. Arma 2 is garbage, so if you want basically a week of gameplay, get it, if not, dont. I was suckered in by this garbage and wish I can have my money back

Then why are you on the fourms? Or maybe you should try playing with others. This game is amazing even when you get killed by some bs bug. *Like a zombie running through a wall, breaking your legs and knocking you out*. If you're a CoD kid or for that matter a kid in general you might not like this game because it requires you to play smart or you'll die.

• Like 1

You really made an account just to say this?

• Like 1

Hello there,

So; ARMA3 is coming up and I have yet to buy ARMA2, which I really want to (especially cause of DayZ mod) .. but my question to you is; Is the game still worth buying, even with ARMA3 coming up in a month or two?

Please take in mind that i'm a total noob :-3 I don't mind spending 20 bucks on the game, but I'd prefer not to if I can't learn to handle the game in the short time that I have till ARMA3.

-Infinity NL

I cannot, nor can anyone else make your decision for you, but i would like to help you decide so here is my opinion... The DayZ Mod for Arma 2 CO is a very rewarding experience especially if you plan to play the standalone. Let me throw the pros/cons at you...

It is obvious that there are hundreds if not thousands of pros versus cons out there so i will just list the few obvious ones.

PROS:

*You will get practice before the standalone.

*You will learn what DayZ is all about before purchasing the standalone which will probably cost more than $20

*You will know for sure what the game is and be able to draw your own conclusions.

*Hours of fun gameplay if you end up liking it.

Cons:

*You will have $20 less dollars in your bank account

*You may not like it or may grow old of the gameplay quickly if you aren't the type of gamer that enjoys this game style.

*The game isn't the easiest/most forgetful game.

*You may feel like it is a waste of time.

Through my experiences whether or not you enjoy this game depends on your personality and game play style. This is a military simulator+ Zombies... If you are the type to back away from a challenge or get attached to your loadout and gear then this is not a game for you. If you enjoy a challenge and seeing how far you can go and what you can achieve before death than this is definitely a game worth trying. This game requires player skill it isn't like other games where the vets will have it made just because of the time spent in-game. As far as if new players are still regularly joining or not the answer is YES i meet 3-5 new players daily matter of fact right now the game is booming with new players everyday. This is why Rocket is so excited they are making a LOT of dough right now. There are good reasons for the hype around dayz for it is the only legit zombie multiplayer game i have experienced WARZ is a scam for the fact that they are copycats this is the real deal... Well if you do join and want to learn the game quickly let me know ill train you itll take 4 hours and you will be all set with the basics/ advanced understanding of the game from my perspective. I consider myself a standard/experienced player for i have spent many hours in-game but im still learning everyday and i have many places that i need improvement. I hope this long read helps you decide if dayz is worth the buy for you =p *let me know your decision =D* This game is easy to be excited about... I give dayzmod a 6.8 rating.. -Jeremiah-

Infinity-NL - I felt just like you back in Sept 2012. By October, I liked the look of Dayz so much I decided to upgrade my PC just to play it Standalone when it came out in Nov. Then it was delayed to Dec, then to 2013. So in January I got Arma 2 free, bought Combined Ops, downloaded Dayz Commander and I was away.

Is it worth it? Tuesday night I spent 25 minutes creeping around a sniper's position; I got within yards of a clean kill with my Enfield rifle when he turned around and saw me. The sniper won in the resulting fire fight. That was sooo frustrating but... for 25 minutes my heart was in my mouth, the adrenline was pumping - that was the reward, the rush! Few games deliver that and thats why I'd recommend you buy it.

• Like 2

Infinity-NL - I felt just like you back in Sept 2012. By October, I liked the look of Dayz so much I decided to upgrade my PC just to play it Standalone when it came out in Nov. Then it was delayed to Dec, then to 2013. So in January I got Arma 2 free, bought Combined Ops, downloaded Dayz Commander and I was away.

Is it worth it? Tuesday night I spent 25 minutes creeping around a sniper's position; I got within yards of a clean kill with my Enfield rifle when he turned around and saw me. The sniper won in the resulting fire fight. That was sooo frustrating but... for 25 minutes my heart was in my mouth, the adrenline was pumping - that was the reward, the rush! Few games deliver that and thats why I'd recommend you buy it.

This is one of the few games to actually be immersive enough and have enough action to get my adrenaline pumping i can completely %100 relate to your explained experience. =D -Jeremiah-

• Like 2

Hello there,

-Infinity NL

I can honestly say, that I have been playing dayz for eight full weeks. I've been playing it at a much higher rate than any other video game I've ever played. I've logged over 200 hours in that time period and I'm just starting to get board. My advice, buy it, start with nothing on a server with a day night cycle and hone your skill. Do that for a couple weeks then find a steady 24/7 daylight server to play on. It'll be worth it. Plus I don't know where you live but Spring is a little ways away, so why not enjoy the last of winter with a little (or a lot of) DayZ.

Arma 2 is garbage, so if you want basically a week of gameplay, get it, if not, dont.

A week... where's the roflmao smiley?

20 bucks for ArmA 2? It's not that bad.. I hate when people go and buy new 60 dollar games every year and then think "20 bucks... Is that even worth it?"

Edited by Sutinen

To get Arma 2:CO for $20 is a steal. You get tons of mods like DayZ and an actual game in Arma. Sure there is the off chance that you may not like the game as it is not for everyone but Id say 'risking' $20 is most certainly worth it.

• Like 1

To get Arma 2:CO for $20 is a steal. You get tons of mods like DayZ and an actual game in Arma. Sure there is the off chance that you may not like the game as it is not for everyone but Id say 'risking' $20 is most certainly worth it.

^ I agree...

Another limited thought process we have here. Arma2 without a doubt is the best military sim to ever hit the market. If you are a console kiddie which I think you probably are, you don't have a clue. Arma2 by itselft offers more gameplay than Dayz ever thought of, but with limited minds, and the lack of a thought process, I guess most can't see it. You want a joke of a game buy FC3, that there is a true joke of a PC game. Hollywood ruined another. I wish Hollywood never got involved in the game process. Makes most games junk, linear, scripted and very lame.

For those who love Dayz and want to experience what Arma2 has to offer, avoid the scripted SP campaign, go right to MP, start a LAN game, choose a CTI mission in Chenarus, vote for the AI commander, and have some fun all by yourself. MP is highly overrated, and SP is way underrated today. In the past MP was an afterthought, but SP has become that due to the devs thinking they have to create a dumb movie experience. I pretty much gave up on MP way back in the Quake days when hackers become the normal instead of just an occurance. MP is now only good if you're in a clan, have a locked server, and someone is always there to play with. Use to do that alot, but now wish there was better SP experiences than what is on the market today, which is all Hollywood style crap. Sometimes I wonder why they even bother to make a SP campaign when most of it is cutscences, scripted sequences where a button mashing interaction is required, but pointless.

In other words GET THE GAME for the discount. You can't go wrong. Unless you don't like mil sims, or can't handle all the options that do not exist in console games. Or your PC can't handle the game. The game is not a console port and is not poorly optimized for the PC. It does have it's quirks due to all the code required for making such a grand game. Unlike so many poorly optimized for PC console ports, that have very little gameplay, very limited options, and you delete after 10 mins of play.

Games like this are optimized for configuring multiple controllers, and not using a gamepad. HOTAS makes the PC sim world revolve. I'd rather burn a console controller than have to use it to play a game or sim.