Sign in to follow this  
Assassin8813

Never flip ATV when it is stuck, Script Restriction "40"

So here's yet ANOTHER depressing story that happened to me.

I started playing on this new server that actually has vehicles in it (strange, right?). I'm running around gathering parts for an ATV that I found, and I get it all nice and fixed up. I'm thinking 'GREAT!'.

I get two jerry cans to fill it up, and use the first one. As I get the message that it filled, I get kicked for "Script Restriction 40". FML. When I hop back on, my jerry can is empty, and so is the ATV.

So I have to use the other one, wasting a jerry can every time I fill it up. This blows.

So, I start stashing some good gear in my ATV and I have a camping tent in there, and I'm 'bout to head off and set up base very far away from anybody. So I start heading up north of Gvozdno, thinking that it would be a great place to set my tent. I see the bridge across the lake and decide to head on over and set up on the other side.

My ATV flips halfway through the bridge for no reason. Now it's stuck sideways. So I get out and decide to unflip it. Well guess what... It did unflip, but it managed to fly 10,000 ft up into the air, crash down on the ground, and explode, losing everything that I have.

I mean, this is the kind of stuff you see on Youtube videos when they make a spoof of a game's glitches, not in actual gameplay!!! So now I need to fetch every part AGAIN and look for those nice weapons AGAIN (x2).

Regards

Assassin8813

• Like 1

ATVs and bridges are archenemies, now you know it. They also happen to be the least reliable vehicle in the game.

A bad engine mixed with a bad cheat detection system is always gonna lead to a clusterfuck of problems.

A bad engine mixed with a bad cheat detection system is always gonna lead to a clusterfuck of problems.

lol, you know nothing... It won't happen on every server, only ones that do not fix the problem, or use only the stock filters (probably waaay over your head at this point). Maybe you should stick to WarZ.

ATVs and bridges are archenemies, now you know it. They also happen to be the least reliable vehicle in the game.
Somebody obviously hasn't crossed the apocalypse on a scrambler yet.

The quad is pretty solid in comparison. It just kinda likes to roll over sometimes.

Guest Dwarden

what server you testing that on, the kick # is weird ... (i would need to server server's scripts.log to determine wtf is problem)

You might wanna educate yourself before you post stuff like that. The Arma engine is the only engine that a mod like DayZ could have worked on, and the Anti-cheat is doing a very good job for the task it was given.

You might wanna educate yourself before you post stuff like that. The Arma engine is the only engine that a mod like DayZ could have worked on, and the Anti-cheat is doing a very good job for the task it was given.

In terms of what, exactly? Support for a big enough map? Because slow-ass scripting in favor of a proper C++ plugin API is somehow desirable?

This mod would've worked on any proper scalable engine. Heck, it would work with the SWGEmu engine if someone wrote a client for it, and perform better, too.

Rocket is a big fan of modding and non-mainstream games, I'd be willing to bet the decision to make it an ArmA2 mod was more deliberate than sitting down and comparing every engine on the market that doesn't require a huge licensing fee.

It won't happen on every server, only ones that do not fix the problem, or use only the stock filters (probably waaay over your head at this point). Maybe you should stick to WarZ.

So you blame him for server admins and server hosters (I'm looking at you, DayZ.st!) being too dumb to fix their private hive stuff?

Edited by Elvaron

This mod would've worked on any proper scalable engine. Heck, it would work with the SWGEmu engine if someone wrote a client for it, and perform better, too.
Fanboy all you like, but don't talk pish. :P

Granted, there may be more engines with "DayZ" potential than just RV. But convincing everyone "galaxies" has a better prospect is going to be the hard-sell of hard-sells.

That game is Fredo. "You broke my heart SWG... You broke my heart." (*Plays epic Godfather tune*)

Fanboy all you like, but don't talk pish. :P

Granted, there may be more engines with "DayZ" potential than just RV. But convincing everyone "galaxies" has a better prospect is going to be the hard-sell of hard-sells.

That game is Fredo. "You broke my heart SWG... You broke my heart." (*Plays epic Godfather tune*)

I'm talking about the engine we wrote for it there, Mikey. It's got nothing to do with the GameCore that adds all the Star Wars pew pew or the horrible cancer tree Sony built. It supports a huge map thanks to a solid quadtree structure, a fast and robust clustering framework with STM in favor of lock-based memory access, an awesome object serialization system, I could go on, but it'd be boring for you :D

But admittedly a hard sell since it's a server engine, you still need a client capable of performing aswell as ArmA 2 does.

Also bordering on advertisement here, so I'll shut up about it.

Edited by Elvaron

Damn, was just getting into it too.

Honestly, I haven't a clue what you guys have been up to with the emulator,(still trying to get the sour taste out of my mouth) so I'm not the best judge, just don't be so quick to condemn.

It's not the engines fault that admins don't know how to update their servers.

Yeah, I know. Said the same thing above there, too. I have nothing but mad respect for BIS for making a highly moddable game engine. Most developers don't bother with that any more, it's been standard for all games when I grew up, but lately everything is tied down to a knot. Games like Half-Life or Warcraft 3 wouldn't have gotten nearly as much exposure without the modding tools.

Concerning server admins/hosting 'companies', I'm guessing with all the extra scripts they use to provide the "deluxe package" to their customers, some hosters require a longer period of time to fix things. Much like Minecraft (another highly modifiable game) servers struggle with updating their plugins with every vanilla update.

Still funny what kind of random results you get that way :D

Edited by Elvaron

I think the Real Virtuality engine is great, DayZ would have never been this realistic without it. That's a fact.

I think the Real Virtuality engine is great, DayZ would have never been this realistic without it. That's a fact.

I'm not so convinced of that, mind giving me an example? I'm not claiming the RV engine isn't great, I just wonder where DayZ actually uses it's full potential?

- The zed AI is an attempt to dumb down the vanilla AI as much as possible, so a more primitive AI might have done the trick just aswell. Whether you spend your time removing 20 features or adding 5 features....

- The gun and helicopter behavior is absolutely wonderful, no desputes there. Vehicles in their current state however... all steer like a bus, explode easily and the vehicle parts damage system doesn't feel any more "realistic" than that of a less designed-to-be-real engine.

- The DayZ features, from starvation to medical needs, could've easily replicated elseway. Fall damage => broken leg. Zombie attack => chance of random status ailment. Zombies don't target body parts specifically. The damage model of RV is only properly used in PvP combat.

I'm not so convinced of that, mind giving me an example? I'm not claiming the RV engine isn't great, I just wonder where DayZ actually uses it's full potential?

- The zed AI is an attempt to dumb down the vanilla AI as much as possible, so a more primitive AI might have done the trick just aswell. Whether you spend your time removing 20 features or adding 5 features....

- The gun and helicopter behavior is absolutely wonderful, no desputes there. Vehicles in their current state however... all steer like a bus, explode easily and the vehicle parts damage system doesn't feel any more "realistic" than that of a less designed-to-be-real engine.

- The DayZ features, from starvation to medical needs, could've easily replicated elseway. Fall damage => broken leg. Zombie attack => chance of random status ailment. Zombies don't target body parts specifically. The damage model of RV is only properly used in PvP combat.

You see, for a mod, anything other than Arma's engine just isn't practical. Rocket would have had to custom make the map, then add in vehicles, then add in zombie AI, then add in bullet physics, then custom make the weapons, and the models, and the inventory. He'd have to add in a lot. That's why I'm saying it wouldn't be possible on another engine.

As for Battleye... well, I'm pretty sure it is the only anti-cheat that would work with Arma. Arma allows scripts to be run fairly freely because this allows all sorts of dynamic things to happen. Battleye is basically having to fidure out which scripts are being run legally and illegally. It's like swimming up a waterfall. If we added in something like, say, Punkbuster, everyone would get banned because, whether you play legit or not, your computer still runs scripts.

I feel like I've started a war here! All I wanted was some answers, some peaceful answers! I feel like I assassinated Archduke Franz Ferdinand, or imposed heavy taxes on the American Colonies!

But in any case, I do believe I have found the answer. For the 'Script Restriction #40', what I've found works every time is that when you need to refuel, step out of your vehicle and back out of the game. Then, take out your 'BEClient.dll' and 'BEServer.dll' from 'Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead > Expansion > Battleye'. Put them somewhere safe like on the desktop. Join the game again, and you should have the error "Battleye failed to initialize". Minimize, put the files back in, and when you re-join, you should be able to refuel your vehicle without any problems.

This process also works for when you keep getting kicked for trying to put on a Ghillies Suit or Camo Clothing. I think this is because Battleye kicks people for trying to put on new skins, or for new skins from appearing in your inventory, like the transition from 'Jerry Can' to 'Jerry Can (Empty)'.

As for the bridge, I will quote s4pphire on the well known fact that "ATVs and bridges are archenemies". You have been warned.

Regards,

Assassin8813

Edited by Assassin8813

You see, for a mod, anything other than Arma's engine just isn't practical. Rocket would have had to custom make the map, then add in vehicles, then add in zombie AI, then add in bullet physics, then custom make the weapons, and the models, and the inventory. He'd have to add in a lot. That's why I'm saying it wouldn't be possible on another engine.

As for Battleye... well, I'm pretty sure it is the only anti-cheat that would work with Arma. Arma allows scripts to be run fairly freely because this allows all sorts of dynamic things to happen. Battleye is basically having to fidure out which scripts are being run legally and illegally. It's like swimming up a waterfall. If we added in something like, say, Punkbuster, everyone would get banned because, whether you play legit or not, your computer still runs scripts.

Uh-huh. So you're saying the selling point of the ArmA engine is that he didn't have to use public domain models but could use freely available proprietary ones. And that no other engine on the market has combat or vehicle physics... right.

As for BattleEye, no. Any engine that works by giving you a set of binaries to build against results in binary files without the need to script around, thus no script-inspection anti-cheat. Punkbuster would've worked just aswell.

I mean sure, using an arma map was an easy way out, but other than that most engines actually do have all those things. Or they wouldn't be worth their licensing cost (for commercial product).

But yeah, let's leave it at that.

Everyone should know by now that the ATV is the trolliest vehicle in this game.

Flips whenever it pleases and uses tears as a fuel source.

Well guys, it happened again.

An ATV stashed with shit got stuck on a bridge and flipped 100 feet into the air. Word of warning, NEVER CROSS BRIDGES WITH AN ATV! You will regret it. ALWAYS seek an alternate route.

Regards,

Assassin8813

ATVs dislike for bridges is a well know fact, but it's something that everyone has to find out for themselves.

Luckily, the quad is pretty decent offroad, and there aren't any rivers under those bridges. :thumbsup:

updated http://dayzmod.com/f...-filters-update

so make sure You admin has latest loaded on his server

the #40 should be gone (i hope) ...

p.s. for the reports

I'll inform the server-master of this. Thank you for your help! It's starting to get really annoying logging out and coming back on every time I want to refuel my ATV (which is frequently!).

Sounds like you don't have much trouble finding new ATV's anyway. And five heli crash sites within a 1000m of each other?????

What kind of map are you playing - Takistan or Taliban?

Sounds like you don't have much trouble finding new ATV's anyway. And five heli crash sites within a 1000m of each other?????

What kind of map are you playing - Takistan or Taliban?

I'm actually playing on Chernarus (hard to believe), but here's the catch. The server never restarts! This is a blessing and a curse.

Blessing: tents never have a chance of disappearing on you, vehicles are always where you put them last.

Curse: crashed helicopters NEVER despawn, loot tables are all sorts of FUBAR, and loot at crashed helicopters never respawns.

I'd provide photographic evidence of this, but at the moment, the server isn't letting me on due to some sort of lag spike. I'll update this soon though.

Regards,

Assassin8813