lowkey

Agressive wildlife [Official wildlife topic]

In a very small amount, say twice as common as heli crashes. To many players just sprint from high value target to high value target. The woods should not be and irl are not always a safe place.

Edited by Inception.
Title edit.
  • Like 1

this idea might be good. in very very small doses. its already annoying and painful enough to

lose the aggro of an entire cities worth of zombies in the woods. I don't need to be playing Cabella's big game hunter too.

Edited by KattSavage

I love the idea of hostile animals like dogs, wolves and bears. Thet need to be passive hostile though, because generally speaking they are not looking for humans to eat (unless it is dire, dire situations) but rather things like rabbit, deer and fish (for bears they loves them fishes). Feral packs of dogs would probably be the most hostile and would actively seek you to kill you in my opinion.

Won't be done, as it needs new animations and shit. Rocket said that they won't even add horses due to the animations issue.

Edited by Barrett_killz

i would call it quite alarming...each idea which comes with the slightest animation is almost immediately discounted by officials... :unsure:

Edited by joe_mcentire

Won't be done, as it needs new animations and shit. Rocket said that they won't even add horses due to the animations issue.

He said that they couldn't add them quickly. He still wants to put horses in the game. Making a new skeleton is hard work but the team could do it, with time.

As for the OP. In nature animals like wolves, bears, and wild cats rarely attack men unprovoked. Especially wolves, those rarely attack people.

I wouldn't want Red Dead Redemption style wild life that attacks everything on sight.

• Like 1

Well... I don't think a Bear would now the difference between a Zombe and a Man. Giving that Zombies frequently attack wildlife they could've learned to either avoid Zombies or seeing them as hostile and attack them. But still, they shouldn't be as aggressive as zombies.

OP here.

I think you all missunderstand, and I was unclear.

Yes, bears and wolvers and big cats rarely attack humans. Humans rarely sprint full out through the woods. Anyone who lives in rural areas I am sure knows why you do not sprint through the woods.

Bears= yes a bear would normally avoid humans. If you are RUNNING right at it, it will stand its ground and you will be mualed. If it has food or young, you might be mualed. Also, most bear attacks are not fatal, the victom just wishes he/she was dead. The bear isn't triing to kill you, just to end the threat.

Wolves/Big Cats= the rabbit effect, they see you running and think you must be prey. They chase and attack!

The only ones that might attack on sight would be the pack of wild dogs someone else mentioned.

I hope that clears up what I was thinking. Something to maybe keep players from just sprinting from 1 high value target to the next around the map.

• Like 1

I would rather put a whole bunch of zombiefied bear and wolfes into game. And maybe some giant spider and other stuff. Forcing player to group up for moving carefully through the wood. This stuipid "jam the key "w"" with a screwdriver and then afk while running safely through the wood is total bullshit.

There was an original intent to add dogs to DayZ a few months back. Don't really know what happened to that, though.

However, adding another predatory being other than zombies would give players something else to look out for when running through the woods at night.

How deep is Rockets plan about implementing wildlife in DayZ? I heard him mention about a deer skeleton they are working on but how much part do you guys think wildlife in SA be?

I personally think wildlife should play major part in the SA. From something as simple as birds flying away and making noises when a gun is fired or a rat-infested town during the night, I bet it will add drastic improvements in the atmosphere. Here some animals and insects that will play major parts during the apocalypse.

Locusts:

I've watched some documentaries about a total locust infestation in wild-west america and since Chernarus is a rural place, it would be a safehaven for locusts especially when there are no more people to use massive ammounts of pesticides on them.

Cockroaches:

Mass infestation of cockroaches will happen in houses everywhere after the disappearance of humanity they will basically devour everything and would most likely be a large cause of food shortage.

Rats:

Again without anything to stop them, these things would rise out of the sewers in large numbers for the abundance of food an water on the surface, another cause of scarse resources and diseases.

(I figured mass infestation of rats,cockroaches,locusts and termites would make Chernarus a pretty revolting place to be in.)

Wild dogs:

Domesticated dog would adapt to nature and will become vicious. Dogs with rabies are deadlier and more brutal than the infected. Once a player got rabies, death will be very slow and painful.

Bears,deers,moose.

Very common woodland animals,self-explanatory.

Monkeys:

Common test subject for laboratries, would be quite cool to see some rabid monkeys used as test subject to cure the infection.

Different types of birds:

As if gunshots weren't loud enough, birds are great indicators of another player's presence making for a very intense atmosphere. Some carnivorous types like crows might even be spotted pecking corpses body parts like eyeballs, adding quite some gore to DayZ.

Fishes,rabbits:

No need for explanations. Food source for players.

Frogs:

For the swamps. Can also be a food source.

Fireflies, mosquitoes, flies:

Fireflies to make night very lively, mosquitoes as source of the notorious killer, malaria and flies as main indicators of spoiled foods and rotten corpses.

Termites:

Termites are the main cause of degrading structures in the apocalypse. Without terminators we shoul expect to see quite some worn out houses and furnitures.

Worms:

Household fruits wouldn't last long without humans.

Hedgehogs, racoons, squirell, cats

Common household invaders. Would be quite a cool find and can be food sources, yes even cats.

Anyway, thats all about it. For anyone complaining about a static world this more than fixes that. It also adds quite a lot to the survival aspects of DayZ and adds immersion and atmosphere enhancements.

Edited by landfish
  • Like 5

Great idea i hope that atleast some of these things will be added later on

Alright, half of these animals are just too damn small to be put in the game. You can hardly render several billion locusts in a swarm, so I'm just gonna ignore those type of suggestions.

Wild Dogs: Yeah, I like that, a danger apart from zombies and players. I approve. However, I would make them mostly territorial, they were probably pets at one point so making so every dog you see is hostile is a bad idea. Rabies is another thing entirely though, to which I vote no , UNLESS there are multiple types of diseases implemented.

Bears: Ehh, gives too much of a RDR feel, I vote no.

Deer/Moose : Sure, for the sole purpose of getting food.

Monkies: If they managed to survive the rugged climate as well as populate, they would be too rare to bother putting into the game.

Birds: I like the gunshot idea, birds flying from tree's en mass when a gun is fired, yep, I approve.

Fishes : Eh, perhaps uninteractable ones in lakes, but anything else would either make this feel like a tropical island survival sim, or would be a waste of server power.

Hedgehogs, racoons, squirrels, cats: Not efficient enough for hunting, and would hog server computing power. No.

• Like 2

i would like to see dead survivors being feasted on by feral dogs which u would have eliminate or scare off to search the dead bodies, the rats would be sweet that you metioned we could eat them and possibly get diseased or something etc.

Add em all Rocket, and basebuilding, and vehicles, and a bigger map, and riding horses, and thousands of zombies, and zombie bodies that stay on server for 4 hours, and tons more loot...

We dont care about lag and moving around anyway :)

:p

Roe deer......Boar...

Imho, cats might be very lonely residents in the rare abandoned villages of Cherno. To give them some life. Not for hunting, but more for distinguishing some different villages.

I approve let the wildlife take back the world! it'd be nice for the ferociousness of nature to be as intimidating if not more so than the zombies themselves making you not want to sleep in the wild but rather risk running into players / zombies by hauling up for a house in the night than risking the wilds.

I like layer systems in games that force you into tough situations and wildlife that might try and steal food or eat you for food in the wild while your ill prepared would be awesome, im 100% sure im living a pipe dream right now... but it's nice to think about lol

@Jaginum

You're not gonna see just an individual model of each of these animals. A great number of small polycount of rats and cockroaches wouldn't eat up much performance yet still be noticable. Insects could just be particles that doesn't exceed more than a hundred polygons. Termites cold just be textured in destryoed walls and furnitures to have plausible explanations of why they were destroyed.

@Jaginum

You're not gonna see just an individual model of each of these animals. A great number of small polycount of rats and cockroaches wouldn't eat up much performance yet still be noticable. Insects could just be particles that doesn't exceed more than a hundred polygons. Termites cold just be textured in destryoed walls and furnitures to have plausible explanations of why they were destroyed.

Well if you're talking about just showing the effect of those animals, such as knawed, holey wood for termites, or destroyed crops for locusts then that's fine, or even if the animals were just particle effects like you say. My problem would be having to render rats crawling across streets, as you would have to give it a pathway to follow, or even an AI. The less complexity for the entities, the better, for both players rendering them and servers processing them.

hm, little offtopic, maybe not:

I've seen a rabbit in a house yesterday xD

he was sitting there and moving a bit, but not a lot.

Alright, half of these animals are just too damn small to be put in the game. You can hardly render several billion locusts in a swarm, so I'm just gonna ignore those type of suggestions.

Wild Dogs: Yeah, I like that, a danger apart from zombies and players. I approve. However, I would make them mostly territorial, they were probably pets at one point so making so every dog you see is hostile is a bad idea. Rabies is another thing entirely though, to which I vote no , UNLESS there are multiple types of diseases implemented.

Bears: Ehh, gives too much of a RDR feel, I vote no.

Deer/Moose : Sure, for the sole purpose of getting food.

Monkies: If they managed to survive the rugged climate as well as populate, they would be too rare to bother putting into the game.

Birds: I like the gunshot idea, birds flying from tree's en mass when a gun is fired, yep, I approve.

Fishes : Eh, perhaps uninteractable ones in lakes, but anything else would either make this feel like a tropical island survival sim, or would be a waste of server power.

Hedgehogs, racoons, squirrels, cats: Not efficient enough for hunting, and would hog server computing power. No.

I agree with the majority of this post, but I quite like the idea of bears. I think bears could be a very deadly foe, especially when ill-equipped, but killing them would be beneficial, maybe their fur could be crafted into hunters clothing? Or maybe even warm clothing if they add in temperature effects.

I'm not saying bear's should be everywhere, maybe like 3-4 per server, deep in the woods NE of Elecktro or something?

*double post* plz delete

Edited by Longs