rocket

What if we removed the crosshair?

If you can't climb ladders etc ,with out crosshairs , you have to think about why this is .

Most likely the problem you are having is you are playing in thirp derpson view .

There is no need for crosshairs what so ever at all .

Even grenade throwing could be pretty accurate , if its designed intuitively ( aiming with your left hand as you draw back to throw ) , with out the aid of crossderps .

What? I think you read my post in the wrong way, dont try to give blatant sherlock holmes advice... I'm not talking about myself, I'm explaining why other might feel they need crosshairs

Of course I can climb ladders and so on without crosshairs, but it's still way to hard to find the right "pixle" without them (Using first person). That needs to get fixed regardless of crosshairs being removed or not.

Conclusion: Some usability issues needs to get fixed; FOV slider, needing pixle accuracy to select stuff, head bob not at 0 from the start (tweakable in options), and so on. Then they can remove crosshairs and third person for the standalone. I'm pretty confident most of these issues are being fixed.

Edited by MarcDaKind
  • Like 1

I say remove the crosshair, however...

If it could be set so that at certain ranges the effectiveness drops significantly then keeping it would not reduce the overall game experience. For example..within 5 meters the grouping is random within a 12" diameter circle, double for 25 meters, and nearly ineffective past that. Not sure if this is code possible, may end up defeating aim hacks because it would make the weapons useless past a certain point.

Saw some concern for activating and here are my thoughts on that. When attempting to activate or selecting interactable items the weapon is dropped to a guard position and a hand icon pops up to show you where you are looking as well as options for interaction. With or without the crosshair removed, this would add a bit of realism as well as transition from activation to animation.

I think it has to be removed.

The difficulty of engaging isn't a con, IMO. It will even encourage noobs to avoid PvP. Also, no more shooting zeds on the run, like its done now.

If you can't climb ladders etc ,with out crosshairs , you have to think about why this is .

Most likely the problem you are having is you are playing in thirp derpson view .

There is no need for crosshairs what so ever at all .

Even grenade throwing could be pretty accurate , if its designed intuitively ( aiming with your left hand as you draw back to throw ) , with out the aid of crossderps .

Yep, if you would use 1P a lot of action menus would be easier to access...there are exceptions like gates but not really something to complain about.

The only problem that I've notice is that while in vehicles, you can change the cameraview with your mouse. Or maybe I'm the only one who had this problem on a server without Crosshair.

If you keep it, make it less accurate. I think this game had it pretty good

20j1kht.jpg

The engine doesn't allow fake inaccuracy because the bullets come out of the barrel and are not spawned in front of the player like in other shooters. A circle won't help either because you can still use the center to aim unless you make a circle larger than a character.

• Like 2

Why not keep the current crosshair and just remove the middle post that tells you exactly where your bullet is going to end up? You would just aim, putting your target in between the two lines for quick point shooting (you'd only be able to guess at long ranges) and the lines would draw together or widen based on fatigue, pain, stance etc.

• Like 1

Well, it was said that HUD will be simplified to add up to realism. My say is - remove the crosshair. If you want to run and gun - learn to. If you're not too good at it - don't hurry, it's gonna get you killed, and use ironsights.

• Like 2

Those lines still tell away the center of your aim too easy. Anything that sits in teh middle of the screen regardless of it's form will do. If they are removed the only thing "hackers" can do is paint a crosshairs on the screen... If you keep them and you have CH:OFF servers they can still hack it in. I don't trust any anti cheat tool.. If it's not in the engine they won't be able to use it no matter what.

• Like 2

I really don't feel that crosshairs are necessary considering the accurate function of optics in Bohemia titles.

Shooting in 3dp, to me, should be like shooting one-handed, wrong-handed (with your feet if your ambi') and not even looking.

The aiming deadzone should also be jacked up a bit, and enforced IMO. (10%?)

With crosshairs enabled, aiming skill feels less important. That's the main reason I dislike it.

I'm not exactly shit-hot, but at the very least, I like to feel like I'm doing the aiming.

Also, if it prevents ESPhacks etc. crosshair removal should get everyone's support.

• Like 2

So, 20 pages of opinions, the vast majority want crosshairs removed. I think you have your answer Rocket ;)

• Like 4

Also I must say I enjoyed reading this thread- good arguments from both sides and well written posts. It's great :)

The Crosshairs in Real life you get an Idea of where your weapon fires when you aim from the hip for extended periods of time (Or with a pistol just by where its pointing usually) Weapons that have extreme power such as the AS50 which in real life needs a bipod to be fired with any true degree of accuracy you wouldnt be able to get the idea with but say an LMG in real life YES they are bulkier but people in the army when they use suppressive fire they dont usually aim down there sights because their main focus is keeping the edge of their vision but as soon as their bullets hit that one block of concrete thats it they know where the bullets are going roughly so I think crosshairs should not be a TRUE reflection of the Guns accuracy (So the M4A1 might have crosshairs half the size of the screen when its real accuracy is maybe 1/8 of that) and slowly gets better the more you fire the gun just regular aiming the reason Muscle Memory when you fire a weapon enough you body has compensated with more muscle to hold it steady and with aiming from the hip your muscles automatically go into that comfort position. Crosshairs should only go to weapons with light/moderate/Light heavy (So all LMG's on the ground or crouching pretty much everything except the AS50 M107 and any other thing such as a Rocket Launcher) and then get more accurate the longer they are used in a fire fight just like the player does and that skill fades while using a different gun (So he uses a M4A1 picks up an AK runs around for a few hours and picks up a M16 in that time his crosshairs have moved from bandit small to Absolutely fucking huge again HOWEVER the catch is his Bandit small crosshairs are also not a true Accuracy showpoint but they are pretty damn close)

As said before, the barrel in the arma engine is the source of the bullet and it's direction, so you have pretty much all the perks of real world hip shooting available to you, it's just a matter of learning it.

The same way some people in FLight simulator know their plane so well that they can land without instruments, you, as a player can learn your gun well enough to hipshoot without crosshair.

Edited by Lady Kyrah
  • Like 1

In real life you can roughly aim without using sights because of depth perception, in game we don't have that. So I'm not sure

Am I completely wrong here or can't you just make permanent settings about crosshairs and stuff for servers and make

people to chosse ONE type of setting for their character?

This way everybody can get what they want :)

The crosshair should definitely STAY. Actually, I think we need MORE crosshairs, like at least three.

Seriously, though, all those being in favor of the removal should ask themselves what actual aspect of real life does it substitute. In real life we all have sense of direction, orientation, muscle memory and whatnot. In a game it is a stripe of pixels drawn from the bottom right corner and roughly to the center of the screen. Well, maybe you can learn to shoot with that stripe of pixel, but it will have nothing to do with "realism". There's more than enough unnecessary hardcore in the game, disguised as the realism, while being in fact not realistic at all. It's amazing to see people wanting more...

Couple of points to note:

Some pro's

• Possible that removing crosshair support entirely would add in preventing some ESP hacks
  • Require an aimed shot to be made for any form of accuracy

Some con's

• Greatly increases the base difficulty of engagement (new players especially)
  • Reduces server choice if not provided as an option

Please discuss.

That should be more important than any excuse for keeping the crosshairs,

The ironsights/optics on weapons work perfectly fine. The majority of players should have been able to figure that out by now.

"Why are you so opposed to having to put in a little effort?" is the real question.

Edited by Chabowski

Would it be possible to have the CH active for say 8 hours game play?

So for your first full day of playing as a bambi you have the crosshairs but once you cross that 8 hour bambi period CH will be removed. Sort of like taking the training wheels off your trike.

This way you can still cater to the new player even if it is for a short period of time.

Thats a really good idea. I hope they add it in. You have my beans!

I'm kind of on the fence about this.

On one hand disabling it makes it harder which is a plus.

But iirc changing between 1st and 3rd person is going to require using the menu in the SA which means with no CH, 3rd person will be rather hard to use to quickly pop off a couple of zombies who you've aggro'd. What I guess I'd like to see would be CH disabled in 1st person but enabled in 3rd with increased weapon sway across the board making it a bit harder to use.

That's my opinion anyway.

Oh, and it can be enabled / disabled serverside.

I don't think the temporary crosshair for the new players is a good idea. Just when you got used to shooting with the crosshair, you will have to forget that and re-learn to shoot without it?

But how about a free laser aim with a depletable battery for every new player? And clear message that when the battery is depleted, youwill have nothing, so you would try to use it less and less, thus getting used to the absence of the crosshair? And when it's out of power, you will be more or less ready for it.

Couple of points to note:

• Reduces server choice if not provided as an option

Please discuss.

Why is this a con? Would be great if everyone would play the same dayz instead of the server mess we have now with bliss, whitlist, private mods, different islands/maps. The vanilla dayz is like the the hardest thing to finds now in the list or at least a vanilla server with good ping and not 40+ players on it. I find the current server jungle a con.

• Like 3