Sign in to follow this  
Aitchy791

GPU Advice low fps and gpu load looking at cities, i7 gtx 660 ti

Ok so i went and upgraded my gpu. It works great in all games with no problems for example runs bf3, skyrim, bl 2 etc all in 1080p at max settings. But im not seeing the increase i wanted in dayz. Yes my fps has went up and I have been able to up my in game video settings but looking towards cities or building my fps is not much better than before.

I also notice that when I am standing next to a city if I look away from the city my fps skyrockets and so does my gpu load. But if I turn and look at the city my fps dramatically drops and so does my gpu load. Shouldnt my gpu be working as hard or even harder in or looking at cities? Please see screen shots taken from the exact same spot, one looking away and one looking at cherno.

Precison X Display

GPU :Power, GPU Clock, GPU Temp, GPU Usage, GPU Volatge, Fan Speed

Mem: Memory Clock, memory usage

D3D9:FPS Counter

Total Cpu Usage

Intel i7 2600 (Stock)

Evga gtx 660 ti sc 3gb (Factory OC'D)

8gb ram

2TB Hdd @ 5400 rpm

In particular its the gpu load and fps figures which baffle me, I would not expect a huge drop in gpu load looking at a city, I would expectr a higher load if not the same, yes I know dayz isnt the best optimised mod. But I expected more from the card I bought from what I was using before. An i7 and gtx 660 ti sc 3gb I expected more than 30-45 around big towns.I thought maybe its the hard drive speed, but I tried the ram disk technique which is meant to be faster than using a ssd but it made no difference. Yes im looking out to sea but even in an open field I will get 90 plus fps

As for nvidia control panel I have most things set to the recommended set ups you find here, max frames 1, high performance etc etc

Screenshots all taken from same location, just different compass bearings

Pic 1 is looking away from cherno

arma2oa2013011900511294.jpg

Pic 2 looking towards cherno

arma2oa2013011900512141.jpg

Pic 3 My in game video settings

arma2oa2013011900513708.jpg

Edited by Aitchy

ArmA 2 is all about the CPU...

an i7 at 3.4ghz and turbo at 3.8

As you can see from my pics my cpu does not even go above 30 percent, and thats with firefox, skype, steam, dayz commander all running in the background

Yeah, i7s and ArmA 2 don't work well at all. Have you disabled HT?

You won't get high FPS in big cities without a 4Ghz+ OC... This is normal.

Disable Hyper threading then overclock the CPU. Use the Tom's hardware forums for safe overclocking advice.

Got a huge increase adding the -winxp parameter, same shot at cherno and got 10 extra fps

Edited by Aitchy

an i7 at 3.4ghz and turbo at 3.8

As you can see from my pics my cpu does not even go above 30 percent, and thats with firefox, skype, steam, dayz commander all running in the background

Use also i7 2600k,

4.2 is minimum i think now. (run also long time 3.8, was fear without reason)

Yeah, i7s and ArmA 2 don't work well at all.

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/778-11/arma-2.html

Edited by NoCheats