31 replies to this topic

#1 Richjones19772000

Richjones19772000

Survivor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

Still loving the chenaraus map but looking for a change, hearing good things about Taviana, is it any good? If so, why?.
I have tried Namalsk and Panthera but always ended up going back to Cherno eventually.

#2 Box

Box

Anyone in Cherno?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2562 posts
  • LocationFriendly Fort Balota @ BSB Epoch server!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

Taviana is in my opinion the best map.

It's 3 times the size of chernarus, every town or city has something interesting or useful, there are more enterable buildings in each city, there are more new enterable buildings, there are more landmarks/objects, there are more military sites...... it's just a much better and more interesting map than chernarus.

We run a server with 400 vehicles (daily restarts/loot re spawns too) with our own 2 clan factions (1 bandit, 1 friendly) running around killing each. We're looking for lone wolves, bandits and survival groups to get in on the fun - check it out , you won't be disappointed!

Posted Image

Edited by Box, 18 January 2013 - 12:04 PM.

BSB Network, Gaming & banter for grown-ups!
Est. 2002

#3 mzltv

mzltv

Girthmaster General

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • Locationsomewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

Honestly? Taviana is the tits.

It's good, because it also means I'm really going to enjoy Chernarus+ when it's released, because I've not been constantly rinsing Chernarus.

It's good because the map is perfect. You've two main islands connected by a Golden Gate-style bridge. There's 3 airports, plenty of loot spots, and it's not too oversized so player interaction can be common.

Of what I've seen, it tends to be more PVP based but strokes for folks.

Take a look at the map and decide for yourself what you think!:- www.dayzdb.com/map/taviana

Edited by mzltv, 18 January 2013 - 12:04 PM.

76561198092342048.png

#4 Evilution

Evilution

Survivor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

I played taviana properly for the first time yesterday for about 4hrs.i had previously only had a quick session on taviana, I really enjoyed it seems to be alot easier to find your way around the map it looks great aswell looking forward to logging back in and continuing my journey :)
  • Victus Mortuus gave their beans

Posted Image

Not reaaaaaaaaally Daniel

#5 burritoman259

burritoman259

Randy Pan the Goat Boy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1385 posts
  • LocationQueensland Australia

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

Taviana is a good map wouldn't put it above chernarus but still an amazing map, really one of the only bad things is spawn camping.
  • SoulShaper2 and asdfgjkll gave their beans

#6 Michaelvoodoo25

Michaelvoodoo25

Turdy Waffle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4937 posts
  • LocationLe Moon

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

It is on a Par with Chernarus In my opinion, it offers vast expances in which to explore and lot sof new features not on Chernarus.

Go on give it a go. Part of the fun for me is exploring and finding places.
Posted Image

#7 THE HOLY SH**!

THE HOLY SH**!

On the Coast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

taviana is a much better map the chernarus in many ways. Landscape, detail, looting and player interaction as-well. The general populous of players who make their way onto it are either expirence or have a clue on what their doing as-well, making it a much more difficult place to play in.

overall 4.75/5 - spawn campers/random invisible walls/ glitchy doors and walls are the only downfall of a diverse map.
  • burritoman259 gave their beans
-Zombies Last Meal-

#8 Enforzed

Enforzed

Woodland Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationBolabongo

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

I think Taviana is the best map on DayZ atm, but if you download it make sure you download the taviana.eu version which is better than the other version of the map no doubt.
You can check out this server it has active admin and restart every couple of hours.
Posted Image

Edited by Enforzed, 18 January 2013 - 12:36 PM.

Posted Image

#9 Richjones19772000

Richjones19772000

Survivor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

Cheers lads. You have made up my mind for me.
Downloading tonight!!

#10 PracticalTactical

PracticalTactical

Bean King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • LocationSkalka

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

I like the map quite a bit. The endless fields followed by forrest is quite eye catching. Not big on PvP myself and I find that people who play Taviana are more inclined to shoot you on sight than they would in Chernarus. Can't tell you how many times I try to play the friendly survivor only to get shot by some guy with an AK-74 in Byelov. Only ever met two friendly players on that map.

Lots of urban areas aswell which is good for those players who like to shoot it out in the concrete jungle.

Edited by PracticalTactical, 18 January 2013 - 12:42 PM.

#11 mzltv

mzltv

Girthmaster General

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • Locationsomewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

Only ever met two friendly players on that map.

Depends how you play really. I'm always on TS with people, but I've met a fair few decent people. One even gave me and M14 Aim with a PBX Boat... Just depends who is on the map, not what the map is...

76561198092342048.png

#12 DirtyCry

DirtyCry

Survivor

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • LocationDevils castle

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

Hey guys,

some words on Taviana. Nice idea but not well made. The map is big... okay thats it.

Every town looks same. The forestes and plants in general are very bad placed. Every forest looks really the same. EVERY fucking tree has the same distance to the next tree. Totaly unrealistic. There are no bushes, little plants or dead wood in the forest. No smaller trees at the forest edges. The level designer was never in a real forest
The terrain is fucked up too. Every mountain gots the same shape. Everything looks the same.

The towns are full of impasses and hundertes of meters long streets without cover or little sidestreets. It is terrible for the gameplay and totaly unrealistic.

Every other map axcept celle are better made as taviana. Celle gots realistic forests with random density and random big plants and trees also samler trees at the forest edges but the towns and the flat areas are terrible too.

But alle the cars, airports and militaryloot places makes this map(Tavi) intressting.

If you can ignore the very bad terrain and vegetation give the map a try. Despite the bad leveldesign work this map can be fun if have a right group, camp, vehicle and enemys.

Edited by DirtyCry, 18 January 2013 - 03:06 PM.

• orphanstephen gave their beans
i5 2550k @4.5ghz, 8GB RAM DDR3-1600Mhz 8-8-8-24, 1000GB HDD 7200U/min 64mb cache SATA2, Radeon HD6970@stock, LG 1920x1200

Q6600 @ 3,2ghz, 4GB RAM DDR3-1600Mhz 8-8-8-24, 60GB OCZ SSD SATA2, 320Gb HDD 5400U/min 16mb cache SATA2, Radeon HD6870@ 950/1150 Samsung 1920x1080

#13 dgeesio

dgeesio

Bean King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2024 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

Still loving the chenaraus map but looking for a change, hearing good things about Taviana, is it any good? If so, why?.
I have tried Namalsk and Panthera but always ended up going back to Cherno eventually.

tbh taviana and namalsk are dayz now

they are the maps which everyone or most are on . the normal map is tired and boring in comparison
  • DirtyCry gave their beans

#14 Acix

Acix

Survivor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • LocationIn the Bushes Hunting Your Team

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

size and enterable buildings on Taviana are nice, its just a different feel from Chernarus, its fun give it a whirl if you havent but for some reason, and this is a personal opinion, I prefer Chernarus to the other maps
Posted Image

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." -Ernest Hemingway-

#15 klesh

klesh

Fast and Bulbous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts, USA

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

if you download it make sure you download the taviana.eu version which is better than the other version of the map no doubt.

What's the difference between the two versions?

I tried Taviana yesterday and was really enjoying the city, despite the very long straight streets. It felt like being in a real city to some degree. The interiors of some of the larger buildings were amazing, with some funky 1970's Soviet feel to them.

http://cloud-2.steam...61EAF2A1DCB35D/
http://cloud-2.steam...F3EC7784AEF8E0/
http://cloud-2.steam...7CD64C3AF44DDA/
http://cloud-2.steam...62C146D1836C1F/

Posted Image

#16 MooneyS20

MooneyS20

Woodland Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationSheffield

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

I don't know what it is. I judge a lot of stuff with my 1st experience. I played namalask (spelling?) managed to find a deer stand thing within two minutes of spawning and found an m16 and then the other day I tried taviana out, the first town I come too (boye), I kill a guy and he has all the good gear, coyote backpack rangefinder nvg's m4 CCO SD and it makes me think. This would not happen in Chen and it puts me off, cause it makes me think that its just a map with a lot of weapons and seems to easy and I get put off. I dunno, maybe it was lucky but stuff like this never happens to me.

Edited by MooneyS20, 18 January 2013 - 03:20 PM.

#17 klesh

klesh

Fast and Bulbous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts, USA

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

I don't know what it is. I judge a lot of stuff with my 1st experience. I played namalask (spelling?) managed to find a deer stand thing within two minutes of spawning and found an m16 and then the other day I tried taviana out, the first town I come too (boye), I kill a guy and he has all the good gear, coyote backpack rangefinder nvg's m4 CCO SD and it makes me think. This would not happen in Chen and it puts me off, cause it makes me think that its just a map with a lot of weapons and seems to easy and I get put off. I dunno, maybe it was lucky but stuff like this never happens to me.

I spawned at the coast at Boye on my first Taviana run as well. I ran to boye proper and looted the smokestacks and found an ak-74 with 2 mags. I looted the rest of that town, deerstands on the way to the next town, and ran to Sabina (larger town where the above screenies are from). I have yet to run into a player, though I heard gunshots in Sabina. I found some decent gear in Sabina, but just like an Alice pack and various food, compass, matches etc. I found the experience to be right in line with what I was expecting.

You didn't have to loot all that top level gear of the player you killed you know.

Posted Image

#18 Imafighter

Imafighter

Green Mountain Boy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

I think Taviana is the best map on DayZ atm, but if you download it make sure you download the taviana.eu version which is better than the other version of the map no doubt.

Not entirely true. Depends on what you are looking for, to be honest. Looking for classic DayZ? Download the .com version. Looking for a harder/sillier version? Get the EU one.
Come...come to my home...my home...

#19 Mr Nasty

Mr Nasty

DayZ Groupie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1057 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

Unless the server has a good amount of players on it Taviana is incredibly boring. If its a packed house it can be a lot of fun.

shake what your mama gave ya

[g]host[b]usters

#20 Imafighter

Imafighter

Green Mountain Boy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

Hey guys,

some words on Taviana. Nice idea but not well made. The map is big... okay thats it.

Every town looks same. The forestes and plants in general are very bad placed. Every forest looks really the same. EVERY fucking tree has the same distance to the next tree. Totaly unrealistic. There are no bushes, little plants or dead wood in the forest. No smaller trees at the forest edges. The level designer was never in a real forest
The terrain is fucked up too. Every mountain gots the same shape. Everything looks the same.

The towns are full of impasses and hundertes of meters long streets without cover or little sidestreets. It is terrible for the gameplay and totaly unrealistic.

Every other map axcept celle are better made as taviana. Celle gots realistic forests with random density and random big plants and trees also samler trees at the forest edges but the towns and the flat areas are terrible too.

But alle the cars, airports and militaryloot places makes this map(Tavi) intressting.

If you can ignore the very bad terrain and vegetation give the map a try. Despite the bad leveldesign work this map can be fun if have a right group, camp, vehicle and enemys.

You obviously have not explored the world that much. Forests around where I live are just like that. There is plenty of vegitation, and the cities are awesome. Who cares if they are hundreds of meters long? Haven't you been in a real city? (Cherno is not a real city.)

Also, mountains in real life don't generally look that different...I have not seen a single map in DayZ that has "realistic" mountains. The cities are also much better designed then Chernarus. There is much more uniqueness then Chernarus and other maps like Namalsk and Celle, such as windmills, varying enviroments, oil rigs, and the huge cities.

Now please come back when you've left wherever you live and explored the world a bit.
Come...come to my home...my home...