TIC

Ideas for Hunting/New Equipment for Standalone

Making it possible.  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Would you believe this would be great for surviving in DayZ?

• Yes
    • No

Before you post, just know that this topic plays a major role in hunting as a suggestion for DayZ Standalone.
​Along with this post being edited for mistakes or adding on new ideas.

Official Responses

Rocket
Q: Hunting is relatively easy currently, is there going to be any sort of chase implemented?
A: That's something that I am personally going to be designing as the new ambient animals finite-state machine (brains) change. Elements of the hunting and survival are the biggest key things for me to develop.

A poll featuring ideas that can be chosen to be a part of the Standalone, one of them relating to hunting equipment(particularly snares)

Topic Features;
*At 'Ease-For-Eyes' Style format, easier to read
*Click or hover cursor over Red Lettering to see image.
*Proper descriptions for simplicity to avoid TL;DR.
*Don't forget to share your beans! :beans:

Have you ever seen a rabbit darting tree to tree and you are bound to starvation without any items to eat? Here, I want to represent some ideas that could be useful in the future.

Hunting Styles

SNARE

Definition; A snare consists of a loop or noose of cordage placed across an animal's path or trail. It can consist of a trigger mechanism and a spring stick which could be found within Chernarus, this would work by some sort that will quickly jerk the animal up into the air when triggered.

• Found around trees/bushes, add them to rocks along with some type of bait which could be some scraps out of a can of beans. :emptycan:
  • With the new animations for DayZ Standalone, could be able to trip players and large game animals

HUNTING STICK

Definition; They're used to kill small game; such as rats, rabbits and birds. Could also be considered as 'Bird/Rabbit Sticks'

• Great use for killing small game animals.
  • Could be considered for distracting zombies as well as a distraction against another player.
  • Posting along objects can be a great way to show signals to where players can go to lead to a foundation as a symbol
  • Attaching cloth to use as a torch in dark areas.

SLING

Definition; Slings can be amazingly effective weapons for hunting that can be made quite easily. Aiming could be difficult and requires practice for novice users.

• Using stones or even bullet casings could work in most hunting situations.
  • Can cover somewhat of a great distance. Record being 477.10 Meters (1,535 Ft, 3 inches)
  • Using Flax, Wool or Hemp can be materials considered for constructing this item.

BOW AND ARROW

Definition; A reknown projectile weapon that is known in history for hunting small to large game animals. It is often used by archers.

• Can come into different variants such as composite, long bow, compound and recurve.
  • Great stealthy weapon for maneuvering over town-to-town around DayZ and great for hunting.
  • Making poison dart tips on arrows, making them find different types of medicines.
  • Enabling players/animals to limp upon getting hit on limbs, pulling out arrows causes bleeding.

>Long bow; Making it easier to cover an extra few meters across the field, can equip a scope if possible.
>Compound; Great bow to use for beginners, considered to be the balance of power and speed.
>Recurve; Used for short ranges and rapid succession.

Fishing Techniques/Equipment

Upon finding a lake that you can drink out of, it is completely fresh yet there isn't wildlife that surrounds this pool of water outside or inside of it so I believe fishing would be great in many ways!

Features;

-Requires being 'Rock' still and being quiet through voice chat and movement.
-Fish will require awareness of what the hunter is doing and will easily forget what will happen later on if player achieves techniques.

Fishing Spear

Definition; Used to stab fish underwater.

• Requires a lot of patience.
  • Can be fletched with wood, making the hunting knife useful in many ways.
  • Speed and reflexes are recommended.

Standard Rod/Bait

Definition; Long, flexible rod that can be used to stay out of the water. With bait attached, fish will attach themselves onto it making the fisher pull their rod achieving fish.

• An ability to give out more line on your rod.
  • Rods will be able to be broken under use and weight of fish but can be fixed with possible tape from supermarkets and other tools.
  • An ability to attach multiple baits onto the hook.

Snare Fishing

Definition; This is simple to accomplish along any stream or lake where saplings and trees come down to the water's edge. By simply baiting your skewer hook, which is a carved bone hook, and tying it to a snare line one can catch fish unattended.

• Ability to multi-task due to the snare fishing automatically obtaining fish for you.
  • Possibility of being tugged underwater rendering it useless by the fish's strength.
  • Making weight a factor for bait.

Airsoft Firearms

Definition; Were used as a sport in which participants eliminate other opponents by hitting each other with spherical non-metallic pellets launched via replica firearms called Airsoft guns.

• Should have different varieties of airsoft such as gas or spring; gas being the most effective in terms of velocity.
  • Able to hunt small game such as rabbits, mice, birds.
  • Could be used to distract animals, survivors and zombies alike by shooting against an metallic or glass object.
  • Can be used with different types of pellets. 

These firearms are optional for being fitted with attachments that you currently see in the Standalone by using some duct tape.

Open spoiler for an example;

airsoft-guns.jpg

Don't be Homeless! Think out the box.

Have you ever thought how long your travels can be or you just want to store inventory into other shelters besides a tent? Here, we can create our own shelter with these ideas!

Brush Shelters

Definition; With the use of live vegetation that surrounds the wilderness, it could be used for creating shelter.

• Making it easier on yourself to stay warm and hidden from predators along keeping your gear safe
  • Rest up! Running can make you more hungry/thirsty. Laying in a tent slowly decreases those factors.
  • Staying warm prevents pesky infections/illnesses along with keeping harsh weather conditions out.
  • Can place a small fire to create additional heat and cooking.

Tee-Pee(Tipi) Shelters

Definition; Can be made with animal hide/skin, very durable in harsh weather conditions with the right materials

• Saves the width, adds more height. Making it great for space for individual use
  • Limits gear stored due to space.
  • Great use for shelter.
  • Due to it's shape, it can easily be blown away from strong winds.
  • Creating a small fire would let the smoke escape the top from the small hole, creating a chimney effect.

Hogan

Definition; A couple steps below an actual house, this is made with wood, mud and other earthly materials. Great for keeping you cool and warm.

• With adding water onto the mud, it'll keep the interior well ventilated by natural cool air
  • Adding a fire would make the mud into hard clay keeping you and other occupants warm
  • Adds a concept called 'Thermal Mass'

Putting more use in animals

I feel that we just kill an animal simply for the use of their meat when there are more uses you can make out of them. I'll point out some things that can be considered.

Bones; Bone marrow can also be consumed along with making more tools to survive. Such as making fishing hooks, arrow heads, knives, and spear tips.

Feathers; Could be used to fletch arrows with the introduction of bow and arrows

Meat as bait; Zombies, carnivorous animals and players eat meat alike so why not use the meat as bait? You can obtain extra meat or loot by this method.

Animal Hide; Useful for the cold environment and helps you blend into natural foundations. Great for homemade uses in DayZ.

Tainted Meat

leadfrag.jpg

I want to add in the risks of having lead in animal meat from hunting. I've read it from a very interesting article about it and I learned a lot from the basic knowledge I had about it. I want to add this in as a feature onto this topic since I believe it could balance out the risks and rewards of using firearms against animals and not using them. 

The list includes what really piqued my interest the most and could carry a great system onto hunting.

Benefits of non-lead ammunition on meat.

• Less prone to fragmenting as it is harder than traditional lead.
  • Eliminates bullet fragments in the wound channel as it forms a "mushroom" or peels back upon impact.
  • Delivers devastating hydrostatic energy and shock to a game animal.
  • Yields more high quality meat as it retains 95-100% of the original bullet weight.
  • Reduces risk of harming other wildlife, particularly eagles, from getting sick and dying from lead consumption.

Tips For those that hunt animal game.

• Use alternative ammunition that is less prone to fragmentation, such as non-lead (copper) or high-weight retention ammunition (controlled expansion) bullets along with arrows and melee weapons.
  • Use heavier bullet weight for a given caliber. Avoid lightly constructed bullets.
  • Use shotgun slugs and muzzleloader bullets as they fragment less in big game than commonly used high-powered rifle bullets.
  • Practice marksmanship and outdoors skills to get cleaner, closer and precise shots.
  • Avoid shots at running deer as this decreases accuracy.
  • Could use tools like a hunting knife to process your deer individually and trim generously around the wound channel from the given bullet.
  • Discard meat with excessive shot damage. Trim a generous distance away from bullet wound channels and discard bruised or discolored meat, as well as meat contaminated with hair, dirt, bone fragments or grass.
  • Avoid consuming internal organs as these may also contain lead fragments.

Topic Glossary by TIC321(Will be edited for enhanced navigation)

Edited by TIC321
  • Like 40

These are some interesting ideas. I like the snare idea especially.

I see someone else has been reading survival guides. Possibly add fishing in some sense to this? Either finding a tackle box and pole in the Cherno Supermarket and actively fishing, or passive 'traps' such as gilnets and stakeouts in a stream/river

• Like 2

I see someone else has been reading survival guides. Possibly add fishing in some sense to this? Either finding a tackle box and pole in the Cherno Supermarket and actively fishing, or passive 'traps' such as gilnets and stakeouts in a stream/river

Yes! I noticed there are lakes within Chernarus so there could be a possibility of freshwater fish. Maybe an addition to some bait such as bread, worms or insects.

• Like 1

These are all great ideas. DayZ is a survival game, this would add a lot more depth to the 'survival' aspect.

I had added fishing on the topic. :)

Interesting ideas... I just have no idea how these could be implemented into this game/engine.

• Like 1

Interesting ideas... I just have no idea how these could be implemented into this game/engine.

It won't be into the mod. Referred to the Standalone where they greatly improved the engine to an ArMA 2.5. It's a step above and below Arma 2 and 3. It wouldn't be possible for this mod but for Standalone it would be but not as an initial build along with vehicle/construction features.

sounds great but insted of all that i would rather realistic wildlife, like not being able to run up to a rabbit and hatchet it. but in the end all that sounds great :)

Was going through an Army Survival Manual I have and came across a 'tree-pit snow shelter' which made me laugh a bit because of the current favored method of deagroing zombies. Basically you dig a pit around an evergreen tree (during snow/winter) either to the ground or till you get comfortable, break some branches off other trees for more overhead cover and pack the snow around your tree to support the wall.

Id like to make a suggestion along these lines of the ability to make traps. This could go along with the crafting system, can learn them either from books/guides you find in homes, or by studying them in the wild. Or of course, by looking at FAQs online...But there would be two different types of traps, hunting traps and booby traps. Hunting traps being snares and deadfalls, booby traps being things rangeing form non deadly, noisemakers, cans on string, possibly a mansize snare or net (not sure how theyed do that in the game) ect, to harmful/deadly, pungi sticks and 'poor man's claymore' (shotgun shell in a mousetrap). Now Id think it'd be interesting to see some Predator type trap setups out in the middle of nowhere but as the old saying goes, Keep It Simple Stupid.

Also, the only time Ive ever been able to run up to a rabbit and hatchet it was because it was glitching out and rubber banding. The 'legit' times I have killed one was running one over with a truck as it ran across the road or catching one unaware from far off with a rifle.

*Edited* Also add zombie parts as a resource, teeth, bones, flesh, ect. chance of getting an infection while 'harvesting'. Use as weapons/poisons (add zombie teeth to a trap to increase chance of infection, rub infected flesh on traps to transfer diesease, zombie bone shiv/speartip) or possibly an 'endgame' thing. Group of players can do research on zombie parts, say with a fully operational lab or hospital they could refine medicines/inoculations from the flesh, or find a poison that'll kill zombies, (lace it with meat and toss it into the middle of cherno to clear it out)

Edited by BigMike
  • Like 1

Yeah Mike that would work. With the adaption of building underground bases, I could see there being Punji Pits or even digging a hole for yourself as a shelter. It'd be great :)

Better yet, instead of a punji pit, make it a pit filled with zombies so when a player falls, he'll be eaten. It'd work by making sound to lure zombies then put bait inside.

Edited by TIC321

Im actually curious as to how underground construction will work/look, like given enough resources could you make a concrete lined bunker like in namalisk? or would it look more like something youd see in The Great Escape or say a Viet Cong tunnel base.

Im actually curious as to how underground construction will work/look, like given enough resources could you make a concrete lined bunker like in namalisk? or would it look more like something youd see in The Great Escape or say a Viet Cong tunnel base.

From what I have heard, there'll be a trench door where you can enter and start building the tunnel. If it's built right, it won't collapse.

About the fishing feature, I believe being silent and still is key into achieving with this. Being quiet includes not talking in direct chat(In-Game chat) with the ability to sit down with a fishing tool. :)

I love reading suggestions like this then imagining as if it's implemented already! :D and the cool thing about your suggestion is that most of those Hunting Equipment can be used to protect yourself. Bow, Sling, Spear even that Hunting Stick.

I would go in cities armed only with my underwear and hunting stick screaming "UGA BUGA!" at Survivors.

• Like 3

I love reading suggestions like this then imagining as if it's implemented already! :D and the cool thing about your suggestion is that most of those Hunting Equipment can be used to protect yourself. Bow, Sling, Spear even that Hunting Stick.

I would go in cities armed only with my underwear and hunting stick screaming "UGA BUGA!" at Survivors.

That'd be hilarious! xD imagine if you had the W. Wallace face paint from the profile faces with that. That'd be spot on!

Edited by TIC321
  • Like 1

You and I sir, need to make a Tribal Clan. Just imange us wearing loincloths and attacking bandit camps armed with nothing but spears and bows and taking them the fuck out.

dude this is absolutely brilliant and you have put a lot of thought into it. I hope this gets noticed and added in the game. For real though the snare is an awesome idea and i can already see it being used for protecting camps. I would love to come across a bandit and see them stuck in a tree.

• Like 1

you are kidding, right?

Click on the Snare. It'll come up as a picture of a rock and a stick combined. It's quite humane.

Otherwise, thanks for all of your guys' support! I'll continue on thinking of more ideas and such. Let's keep pushing this idea up for implementation! :D

:beans:

Click on the Snare. It'll come up as a picture of a rock and a stick combined. It's quite humane.

Otherwise, thanks for all of your guys' support! I'll continue on thinking of more ideas and such. Let's keep pushing this idea up for implementation! :D

:beans:

On the picture you've got a deadfall trap, snare (as also is in the description) looks like this

http://huntergathercook.typepad.com/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/2008/04/16/14_ground_snare_335_2.jpg

Just remove the "humane" part from the text and you'll be good

As a side note, traps in IRL take a good time to actually catch something, they're checked every 12hours or more, how would you implement the waiting time, i cant imagine peps to wait and chech the traps continuously...

• Like 1

really love most of the suggestions!

great thread, the forum needs more of these.

• Like 1