mime_mimington

THE best server host?

DayZ.st

Avoid SurvivalServers like the plague.

Why? Can you provide any details as to why you feel DayZ.st is better than SS?

I believe dayz.st is working on FTP access, but they do give you full DB access and ability to download and edit the mission file so that's pretty wide open.

The ability to quickly change perm daylight timezone, private/public, maps, vehicles etc etc etc... I'm only 2 days in on DayZ.st and I'm already thinking about migrating my Gameservers.com one over... I might try another host first before I settle in but DayZ.st is GREAAAAT so far. LOVE IT.

Why? Can you provide any details as to why you feel DayZ.st is better than SS?

For a while I was running two servers, one SurvivalServers, one DayZ.st. I decided to do that after getting incredibly frustrated with SS and I wanted to compare with another provider to see if they were all the same. The difference between the two was immediately apparent. DayZ.st worked great and every little problem I had was responded to very fast(sometimes within minutes). The exact opposite can be said of my experience with SurvivalServers.

Here's quick rundown of my experience with both:

SurvivalServers:

The server took a couple days to get running. The service was great for the first couple weeks. They responded to tickets and were reasonably helpful, then they started introducing new features and things immediately got worse. At one point, my server was either down or unplayable over a week. Then it'd be up for a little while and down again. Over and over.

The SS guys would take ages to respond, occasionally going over their 24 hour max response time. Often the responses were unhelpful and seemed like they were just responding to keep up with their 24 hour claim.

On their thread, they'd get upset when large people complained, and then would tell them that they accounted for a small percent of the customer base. That is not something you tell to a group of disgruntled customers.

I had to pay $5 for a "managed" server, and an additional $5 for special admin tools. With a managed server, you have to explicitly ask for each update and then wait for a response on the ticket.

I admittedly got pretty rude with them at times, so did a lot of other people, but it was mostly a result of their poor communication. The overall experience was frustrating. The server only worked part of the time, and they were very unhelpful.

DayZ.st:

The setup was instant, my server was running immediately after paying. The longest downtime I've had was a few hours when one of their data centres was getting DDOSed. I've had a number of minor problems, most of which have been answered/fixed in under an hour, usually with a technical explanation of what went wrong.

All of the features that cost an extra $5 with SurvivalServers are free with ST, and they generally work better. They also manage the servers and handle updates without needing to be asked. I pay $10 less per month for a more reliable and better managed server.

The key downsides to DayZ.st that I can determine are: their data centres occasionally get DDOSed(which isn't their fault),there's no FTP access (which I personally don't care about), and you pretty much have to run Gotcha Antihack if you want to keep logs and manage bans.

Overall, I am pretty much as happy as I can be with DayZ.st. They have been fast to come up with solutions to problems, and they're super helpful.

I'm in love with DayZ.st if they got FTP it would be the most perfect host imaginable. So easy to use and administrate. I'm 100pct for sure migrating my Gameservers.com Chernarus Server over to Dayz.st MUCH better. even w/o FTP access although I'd like to know better how the ban lists work with that because I'm in the FTP 2 times a day reviewing logs and adding bans and that would be a PITA using Rcon... It already sucks but... I jokingly banned a friend the other night and it took like 10 minutes to figure out how to undo it lol.

Dayz.st do seem to be the best option right now, especially with such great feedback from existing customers. They do seem to be low on UK servers all the time though, their tweets and website are always announcing more servers coming soon, but not whenever i check in.

Avoid HFBServers. My clan rage quit after I stupidly signed up with this company. The server/service drops out like crazy, we were lucky to get an hours gaming before having to wait for service to resume (often to discover we'd died in a vehicle or lost another heli). My clan are from all over the globe, and each of them complained about ping spikes of upto 400+. When I complained HFB gave me a lecture about how Arma crashes all the time, as though it was a feature. They then said that just because this doesn't happen with other providers, doesn't mean they are wrong.. lol

Edited by nomadichayward

You have to be FAST, If you follow the posts here, I say they're out, they say soon, next morning some are available and I bought some later in the day or week they were all grabbed up...

Dayz.st do seem to be the best option right now, especially with such great feedback from existing customers. They do seem to be low on UK servers all the time though, their tweets and website are always announcing more servers coming soon, but not whenever i check in.

Avoid HFBServers. My clan rage quit after I stupidly signed up with this company. The server/service drops out like crazy, we were lucky to get an hours gaming before having to wait for service to resume (often to discover we'd died in a vehicle or lost another heli). My clan are from all over the globe, and each of them complained about ping spikes of upto 400+. When I complained HFB gave me a lecture about how Arma crashes all the time, as though it was a feature. They then said that just because this doesn't happen with other providers, doesn't mean they are wrong.. lol

Most of our servers are running fine, even though DayZ and ArmA combined seem to crash a lot. I am still personally looking into why your server may be doing this, and as I said, I will be giving you a few weeks' extension for the problems so far.

I've had 2 servers for 2 months and 1 for over 5 and they've crashed or randomly rebooted like 5 times in that period, the busier one is on 24hr restart schedule and seems to do just fine... Arma/Dayz might not be whats causing your hosting problems.

Does anyone have a list of what server host offer FTP access and have great customer service Thanks

I just started a free 3 day trial with dayzpriv on their try before you buy deal so far so good I'll post back how it goes oh and yeah they have ftp

Does anyone have a list of what server host offer FTP access and have great customer service Thanks

Hosts using TCAdmin do have FTP access (unless they disabled it).

Which means that Survival Servers and Vert Hosting (my company) definitely do.

here's a hot tip try dayzpriv I used their free trial and they have the best customer service and the control panel is way good I ended up joining and am glad I did no more waiting days on a ticket they have instant chat AND they have the best prices I've found

To comment on VertHosting (if the OP is still looking):

I have found them to be an exquisite host so far, with no problems that weren't resolved immediately. Have had no downtime as of yet in a month of hosting. The support is amazing as they offer pretty much 100% full attention skype support along with tickets to help clients. They offer full FTP access, and full DB access (Exception of .dll/.exe - Will install manually on request) as opposed to DayZ.st that only gives access to the most prioritized files (Mission file, code.pbo, logs). VertHosting also has its own user interface (Control Panel) that is coming along quite well. So i made the choice of choosing verthosting over .st

However, i have nothing against Dayz.st, i believe that they are a great host, but in my opinion, VH does the job better for my needs :).

So, a little more unbiased:

DayZ.st

-Control Panel: Better User Interface/CP - IE: Easier for beginners, as every "vanilla" like option is controlled essentially with a click.

-Fair Price

-Essential DB Access

- (Can't Comment On Their Support)

VertHosting:

-Control Panel: Good, but not as good as DZ.st UI/CP - IE: It has most of the options dayz.st has as a "1 click" kind of option, but lacks some cool features dayz.st brings to the table: like Vehicle Spawner, Daytime only button, etc. Keep in mind, this is easily doable with verthosting, just isn't as easy as a click. However VA's is still in beta/brand new.

-Fair Price

-Full DB Access

-Amazing Support

Edited by unkinhead

There are many hosting companies, all have customers that both love and hate them. Go with the ones that offer refunds, and try them. If you don't like it, get your money back and try a different host :)

I highly recommend Dayzpriv they have 24/7 live chat that really is 24/7 and they give you a free 3 day trial to test them out...worked for me been with them for about two months now