rocket

Build 1.7.1 Rolling Update

Two fuckers literally walked directly through the wall of a barn to get me. Walked into the front of my shotgun, but still through the wall.

Too much too soon I think :D very ambitious release, lots of great changes but maybe should of split the changes into smaller releases or something, tested for few days then the next etc etc..

Or quite possibly by looks of how most the change log was running ok but the zombie lag and ai spawn etc issues, to of just left the zed changes out for much later...

1.6 all over again.

Most of these servers are unplayable. I get 5 to 10 FPS when i used to get 30-40 or even 60.

Not to mention that zombies can get through closed doors or hit you through the wall. Even worse, you don't have morphine anymore, so if a zed breaks your bone in the middle of nowhere, you have to crawl all the way looking for morphine.

Pathetic update, i don't understand why they constantly fuck up the performance in this mod.

1.6 all over again.

Most of these servers are unplayable. I get 5 to 10 FPS when i used to get 30-40 or even 60.

Not to mention that zombies can get through closed doors or hit you through the wall. Even worse' date=' you don't have morphine anymore, so if a zed breaks your bone in the middle of nowhere, you have to crawl all the way looking for morphine.

Pathetic update, i don't understand why they constantly fuck up the performance in this game.

[/quote']

maybe it's because this is alpha and that's the whole point.

Now i understand why Mr. Rocket gets angry when he reads these forums.

There should be an Captcha IQ test before you are allowed to post here..

:blush:

5-10 FPS ?

LOL ?

1. I can join almost every server in like 10 Secs. Right in to the GAME.

2. 40-60. FPS no problem.

1.6 all over again.

Not to mention that zombies can get through closed doors or hit you through the wall. Even worse' date=' you don't have morphine anymore, so if a zed breaks your bone in the middle of nowhere, you have to crawl all the way looking for morphine.

Pathetic update, i don't understand why they constantly fuck up the performance in this game.

[/quote']

maybe it's because this is alpha and that's the whole point.

My point regarding this alpha is to evolve the mod with every update, not to step back to the same problems. Period.

FIX THE TENTS AND GIVE MORE OF THEM DAMMIT, STOP BLEEDINGS, FIX FPS LAG and MAKE THE LADDERS EASIER TO USE IN COMBAT SITUATIONS.

AND PUT A MOON TO THE SKY!

Thanks for the update.!

I really love this mod.

Only one thing:

After a server goes down' date=' im with the 1.7.1, I appeared in a place called Wilderness, outside the map.

I fixed it doing this:

A FIX for the wilderness is as follows :-

1. find server canada 2 (filter on "dayz _ canada 2" or somrthing)

For some reason this gets you to the debug forest. Don't ask me how. EVEN if you get a client error (versions) ignore it.

2. Head EAST for 2KM. That's all.

3. Restart and connect to server of choice. You're back!

I read that several people has the same problem with the 1.7.1.

Anyway im in the map again now. Just to let you know rocket.

If you spawn in the "Wilderness" (sucks for you), all you have to do is run east along the coast for a while. You'll hit Kamenkha(sp?). No need to change servers.

I spawned in the wilderness 3 lives in a row. It totally sucked. >_<;(especially since spawning so far made me impatient and reckless and caused me to die again and again rofl~)

Major 1.7.1 Bug

Bug #1

Player spawns in invisible and makes no sound but can interact with objects (car,doors,etc) and can shoot other players. Hunger and thirst never go down and cannot aggro zombies.

Bug #2

Item duplications because of the 5 sec delay when disconnect. (i'm not going into details but duplicating anything is as simple as 3 mouse clicks)

As far as i can tell' date='taking away weapons on new spawns didn't increase coop-play/working together at all.Deathmatch-factor just got increased in citys since everyone wants the loot for himself and the guy who gets a gun first gets all dem beans.Hunger games in Chernarus

[/quote']

Dude. All what beans? Don't new spawns spawn without food or water? D:

First guy with the gun gets all dem bandages or something.

So I joined a server and for some strange reason I'm just a floating gun.

Whats up with that?

Alright' date=' I'm really digging where rocket is going with this patch. At first, I hated the idea of spawning without a gun but, after thinking about it more, I love it. I actually can't wait to die so that I can try it out (although I'd rather not because I just got my first m1014. Yes, I'm new.)

However, I feel he (you, if you read this) kind of overshot the target with the update. So far, it seems way too easy to hide and way to hard not to get seen. Instead of hiding being a tool for me to use if I get seen, it's become what I have to rely on in order to survive. I agree that the zed vision should've been increased, as being able to crouch-walk by them at a distance of, like, 10 feet felt ridiculous. Now, however, they definitely seem overpowered in their ability to spot me.

I guess that it depends on how you view the game. I always thought of DayZ as more of a PvP game than a zombie-survival game. The survival sim was always there, and made it extremely special, but it was the interactions with other players that truly made the game special. Zombies were like walking, spawning landmines and obstacles- an amazing way to spice up getting what you needed to interact with other players, whether it be getting guns to fight them with, food/meds to share and team up with, or anything else that you needed. Even playing solo, the zombies always felt like more of a gameplay mechanic and the other players- those shots in the nearby town, or the ever-present feeling of being watched- were the real threat that I was preparing for.

Now, however, the zombies feel more like the focal point of the game. They feel like the real enemy and the main focus of all my efforts. I dunno whether that's a bad or a good thing, but I personally preferred how it was in 1.7.0.

I also feel like the two "phases" of zombie were what made them so scary. You could get close to them (albeit, too close for what you were aiming for) and sneak around them like they were lumbering idiots- because they were. However, whenever you were prone 5-feet away from that lumbering idiot, you knew that one wrong-move could turn it into a sprinting, terrifying threat. Now that they're constantly super-sensed and fast, it kind of loses that feel to me. I dunno, it's just my opinion.

[/quote']

Good points, agree totally. Game finally feels like it should for a zombie survival horror.

Yeah, but that's not I'm seeing a lot players feel that it SHOULD be about. The interactions with players are most of what makes it worth my time - not endlessly sneaking through towns to loot new shit. Yeah, it's about survival, but surviving alone by dodging zombie encounters over and over again is just fucking stupid.

FIX THE TENTS AND GIVE MORE OF THEM DAMMIT' date=' STOP BLEEDINGS, FIX FPS LAG and MAKE THE LADDERS EASIER TO USE IN COMBAT SITUATIONS.

AND PUT A MOON TO THE SKY!

[/quote']

Oh the CoD kids...

Realistic moon cycle is built into the game core, so if your not seeing a moon it's full moon ingame. Simple as that.

I'm not having FPS lag with my almost 4year old HD 4870 :S so you're probably doing something wrong

funny its the card I use and most the servers so far but a small few are set up terribly as per norm.. its not fps lag for graphics either its the mod itself causing the lag along with badly set up servers.. or maybe just servers that cant cope full stop..

can play arma 2 with ace mods jsrs ai mod etc etc and runs so well just like 1.7.0 did :)

cant wait for the fix..

Just throwing my opinion out there, expecting criticism from all angles but everybody is entitled to their opinions.

I absolutely hate the new update. I think it's ridiculous, and here's why:

Zombies' line of sight is so overpowered, you cannot get anywhere remotely close to them. While crawling, they can still see you. So... what do you do in a city?

Last patch, yes, I agree, it was too easy. I racked up 700+ zombie kills in two days, and the only reason I died was because I got sniped out at the airfield. That's too easy, I feel. There were a lot of things you could exploit to stay alive, and all of those were patched, and it's great. I can see all the kids who tried alt+f4ing because they're standing corpses are there for me to loot. +++

However, I feel this patch is just too difficult. I love not spawning with any gear. That's great incentive for me to go into a city and risk my life for some soda, food, and a weapon. However, when I can't move 20 ft in either direction without getting chased, it's so incredibly frustrating. I'm aware this game thrives on realism, and that's what initially drew me in. I just don't dig the sight on the zombies. Now, if it were implemented that you still couldn't be detected will crawling, or as easy as it is for zombies to spot you now, then it wouldn't be so bad. At least then I could get through a city as long as I was very careful. Now, it just feels impossible. My buddy had to kill 60+ zombies in under a few minute period because a zombie spotted him through the wall, and they just kept coming. I understand they want to encourage you to stay away from them, and they're dangerous, and encourage you to hide, but that is just no fun.

To me, this game is no longer entertaining. It's just flat out annoying. I get no sense of reward, I get nothing but shit on. The chance of bleeding while hit exponentially increased, and while I try to bandage, another one spots me and breaks my leg, and look, I'm now unconscious. What fun is that?

I feel there will be a lot of people who abandon this game due to this patch, and I will be one of them. I have 56 hours on this. 56, and I just downloaded it a week ago from today. All I've done was play this game. I've died plenty of times, but I've died more in the last hour than I have all of those previous 56 hours, and I'm sorry but this is zombie survival. Not a Bear Grylls, let's survive in the forest game. Which is all you can do because going into a city is just ludicrous.

Again, all my opinion. I thought the game was absolutely fantastic prior to this patch minus the bugs. Screwing with the line of sight was just stupid in my opinion. I felt that was the perfect build, and they only needed to tweak certain things, like a few bugs regarding wall-glitching zombies, and things of that nature. I just feel there are more problems with the game now. I mean, like I said, I like spawning with no weapon and other gear, and I think that would have been much better with the previous build- but spawning with no weapon, and dealing with zombies that require me to unload two clips of AKM rounds is just ridiculous. No, I don't spray. I use the gun in semi-auto, and only one bullet is needed to kill a zed. I may be complaining, but I am not an inexperienced idiot.

I can only hope this patch dies and moves on, because I am no longer playing this game until it's fixed. I gave it as many chances as I could.

I guess the only complaint I have is in regards to the zombies, but the zombies are what the game revolves around. Fuck those up, I feel you fuck the game up. Everything else is pretty cool though. No side channel, which I love too.

For those who prosper with this patch, that's awesome. Much respect. I felt like I was very good at this game before this patch. Thought I was clever and skilled. I no longer feel that way. I agree I was a little impatient at the beginning of the patch, and that resulted in some deaths, but after I took a few hours to gather myself, and spent 45+ minutes crouching/running away from being spotted, I just couldn't take it anymore.

What a sad day.

Zombie spawn rate needs to be decreased. More aggressive Zombies are fine. More Zombies are fine. But we need to be able to secure an area for at least a minute.

Alright' date=' I'm really digging where rocket is going with this patch. At first, I hated the idea of spawning without a gun but, after thinking about it more, I love it. I actually can't wait to die so that I can try it out (although I'd rather not because I just got my first m1014. Yes, I'm new.)

However, I feel he (you, if you read this) kind of overshot the target with the update. So far, it seems way too easy to hide and way to hard not to get seen. Instead of hiding being a tool for me to use if I get seen, it's become what I have to rely on in order to survive. I agree that the zed vision should've been increased, as being able to crouch-walk by them at a distance of, like, 10 feet felt ridiculous. Now, however, they definitely seem overpowered in their ability to spot me.

I guess that it depends on how you view the game. I always thought of DayZ as more of a PvP game than a zombie-survival game. The survival sim was always there, and made it extremely special, but it was the interactions with other players that truly made the game special. Zombies were like walking, spawning landmines and obstacles- an amazing way to spice up getting what you needed to interact with other players, whether it be getting guns to fight them with, food/meds to share and team up with, or anything else that you needed. Even playing solo, the zombies always felt like more of a gameplay mechanic and the other players- those shots in the nearby town, or the ever-present feeling of being watched- were the real threat that I was preparing for.

Now, however, the zombies feel more like the focal point of the game. They feel like the real enemy and the main focus of all my efforts. I dunno whether that's a bad or a good thing, but I personally preferred how it was in 1.7.0.

I also feel like the two "phases" of zombie were what made them so scary. You could get close to them (albeit, too close for what you were aiming for) and sneak around them like they were lumbering idiots- because they were. However, whenever you were prone 5-feet away from that lumbering idiot, you knew that one wrong-move could turn it into a sprinting, terrifying threat. Now that they're constantly super-sensed and fast, it kind of loses that feel to me. I dunno, it's just my opinion.

[/quote']

Good points, agree totally. Game finally feels like it should for a zombie survival horror.

Yeah, but that's not I'm seeing a lot players feel that it SHOULD be about. The interactions with players are most of what makes it worth my time - not endlessly sneaking through towns to loot new shit. Yeah, it's about survival, but surviving alone by dodging zombie encounters over and over again is just fucking stupid.

Very well said. VERY well said.

Love it! .. Got killed by another player(whiles trying to help im i might add)so started fresh, No weapons or food etc, Managed to creep into the heart of a major city without issue(the one with the town hall & statue in the middle), Just got myself a Alice backpack, watch, compass, revolver & ammo ... plenty of food, cola, A water bottle & medical supplies I didn't aggro a single zombies & never lost a drop of blood whiles doing so.

Its no where near what i was expecting .. I'd only read the forums at work so just had chance to test the new update ... Reading what a lot of people on these forums have said i thought it was gonna be a lot harder to survive than it is & the zombies are still pretty easy to get past as long as your stealthy & take your time to investigate from a distance what way are facing & where they are going ... A lot more crouch+shit time now ... Check your corners.

Id rather the zombies actually be a force to be reckoned with than how they where before .... Pretty much dummies.

Time to separate the boys form the men ... ;)

Before I comment on the patch' date=' I want to make some points.

1) This is Rockets mod, he can do whatever the hell he likes with it. If I don't like what he does, I don't have to play, I can stop any time I want, which I have for the time being. Everyone can do the same. If you like what he does, fine, you don't need to deride those that don't and vice versa. "If you stop playing, no one will miss you, so piss off" is a pointless thing to say.

2) I bought Arma2:CO especially for DayZ as it was definitely worth the price of admission for a free mod. I had no interest in the game before (I mean no offence, Bohemia). I think I am at least entitled (I hate that word, it's thrown around a lot) to give my feedback on how the mod works and plays. Not being able to play the mod does essentially mean not playing a game i've paid for, but I guess I could just mess about with the proper Arma2 game in the mean time.

3) Rocket made this in his own time, but he is an employee of BI. As the mod has really taken off and increased Arma2 sales incredibly, both Rocket and BI have a vested interest in this being a complete success, which means they will have to appeal to everyone. I assume persistent death will never change, but some aspects will have to, such as zombie LOS. If they want this to be a financial success, they will have to accommodate both hardcore fans and yes, the console FPS fanboys that you hate so very much. Don't worry, they'll soon learn they can't just run and gun, there's no predator missiles here! I'm talking about dumbing the game down, or making it accessible for people by giving them 200 clips of mak ammo, but they can't make it super-hardcore so that very few people will actually enjoy playing. Whilst he hasn't made any money specifically from this mod at the moment, I genuinely hope that Rocket will get his due when the time comes.

4) I don't like the attitudes in this thread. If you complain, you're a noobish CoD kiddie who cries to their mummy when they skin their knee. If you like the changes, you're a brown nosing douche bag. Why do we have to be one or the other, can't we just get along? Can everyone stop wishing death on everyone else and be a bit more grown up? (Hah! Some chance, this is an internet forum after all!)

5) Yes, this is an alpha, things will go wrong, it's natural, it's experimental. We are essentially the QA testers. We're not being paid to do the work, we're not professionals (some of you may be in your real jobs), so yes, feedback often comes in the form of "This is gay". There's no avoiding that unfortunately. Constructive criticism would be nice, but don't ever expect it in this arena, just ignore it.

6) Everyone is entitled to an opinion, no matter how stupidly it is put across. Don't tell anyone they can't have an opinion (that felt slightly hypocritical). You don't have to agree, but you don't need to start a flame war over it either. Please stop wasting your time making posts saying "F off and die", it looks bad on you.

7) I know a hotfix is on the way.

So yes, anyway, after those points, i'll actually give my thoughts on the patch. Bugs and patch failure aside, I am not so keen on some of the changes made.

I like that Zombies cannot clip through walls/fences/doors and cannot hit you through them (in theory, when all is hotfixed). I do not like their improved senses though. The zombies, bar the clipping/spawn improvements and being able to hide from them, were perfect in 1.7.0 in my humble opinion. The right level of threat (including damage levels), combined with the right level of stealth to avoid.

I really do hope that pitching tents is fully fixed, I have one that I am dying to deploy ASAP!

As for the starting gear, I don't like that change either. I have mentioned elsewhere on the forum that a cascading system would probably work out better. Original gear set in Regular servers, a few missing pieces/less ammo in Veteran and bandage/torch/painkillers only in Hardcore servers. This means that those who want to play the game how they want, get to do it. Player choice can be an amazing feature in an game. As for the whole 'hoping it'll inspire teamwork" thing, it's an interesting social experiment, but I don't think it'll work out, as you can't rely on everyone to think that way. It's also a point to be made - working in teams will be harder because of zombies being easier to agro, there's always one guy who sets them all off! I felt the game was almost perfect in 1.7.0, it just needed a few tweaks here and there.

I am not a noob crybaby (or "carebear"), most of the reason I bought Arma2 for DayZ was BECAUSE of the hardcore aspect. It was finally, in my eyes, the zombie game i've always wanted to play. Open world, plenty of loot (I love looting in games, such a magpie!), zombies, no narrative so you can create your own stories, PvP, final death, it has it all! Now it's gone too far in the opposite direction, I feel. I like that as this mod is an Alpha, there can be a lot of experimental features to test the waters for the final version. I look forward to a 'finished' product! There are plenty of people out there who think that the latest update was perfect and good for you, glad you enjoy the changes, but don't expect everyone else too.

tl;dr version: I am not a fan of the patch, preferred 1.7.0, please don't be an asshole and thank you Rocket & team for your hard work. I'll start playing again when the current bugs have been fixed.

[/quote']

This post has a lot of wisdom in it. All should read before posting.