JimJam (DayZ)

Starving to death needs to be COMPLETELY overhauled.

Well when you do everything right, but for whatever reason the freaking random generator of food doesn't come up though you visit 25 different sites, it does get more than a little annoying.

I had everything else, pistol, rifle, shotgun, bloodbags, meds of all necessary varieties, axe, crowbar, toolkit, but of course, no freaking skinning knife to allow me to butcher the freaking pigs I kept running across. What's the freaking axe for?? I had wood and matches, no, can't chop the freaking pig up with an axe, not allowed.

Fix this nonsense.... PLEASE.

You didn't look in the most obvious place, in other players packs. The second most obvious place would be on zombie corpses.

Edited by SausageKingofChicago

If you kill animals with the axe, don't they come pre gutted now? Thought I heard someone say that in TS last weekend.

Though, if true, I suspect the poor OP will explode from high blood pressure.

To the OP, this mod has many faults, but since there is a mechanism for gutting animals, and you didn't have the equipment for it, it's hard for most readers to be particularly sympathetic.

Solutions: find food, find knife, find another player and get food or a knife from them, using good manners or bad. Prior to starving, you could also have quit out, and either come to the forum and asked one of the medics to come save you, or maybe achieved the same in the lobby of the server you were playing in.

But, don't be too angry either; the mod is built within the confines of an engine not designed for what Rocket is using it for.

There's also a critical message in your experience; in Dayz, the question isn't whether you will die and lose all your equipment, it's when.

Your job is to enjoy the struggle in the interim.

Hope this helps,

AC

Well when you do everything right, but for whatever reason the freaking random generator of food doesn't come up though you visit 25 different sites, it does get more than a little annoying.

I had everything else, pistol, rifle, shotgun, bloodbags, meds of all necessary varieties, axe, crowbar, toolkit, but of course, no freaking skinning knife to allow me to butcher the freaking pigs I kept running across. What's the freaking axe for?? I had wood and matches, no, can't chop the freaking pig up with an axe, not allowed.

Fix this nonsense.... PLEASE.

It's still an Alpha, IIRC.Patience is the best thing you can do.

Oh Jimjam. You poor thing. You have had a bad time of it, haven't you! But if you look at your post, you yourself explain why you didn't find any food or a hunting knife. You said you looked in over 25 places and then another 25 places. That might seem like a lot but it isn't. You say they were all "high value" residential buildings. Well, if you had picked up the empty tin cans and moved them elsewhere, new items would have spawned, possibly including some tins of food!

Can't be nice being told you died of ignorance but you did: it was ignorance of where best to look for food to spawn in large amounts. With more experience you will know exactly where and how often to look. And did you know you can survivve at least 4-5 minutes before eating food when your red hungry icon starts flashing? Had you gone to Electro, for example, you would find hunting knives in houses, the supermarket, the cafe, the office block, the school, the fire stations, train stations, barns, sheds, under arches in houses that are not even open, and so many more places. It's just practice and chance & probability or "luck" because you might just be playing on the day when the server you are on just isn't spawing food, or tents, or backpacks. It happens.

We've all died at some point from thirst or hunger but it is rare. This evening, I spent an hour running in chernarus' country and found only 2 tins of coke and nothing else. It does happen and yesterday I nearly died of thirst but in the final few minutes I found a pepsi in a barn. And I once spent 5 weeks searching for a tent! It isn't poor programming it's random chance & probability. That's what people are telling you, to get the facts and be more informed, they're saying there are look up tables you can view that tell you the likelihood of things spawning at different places.

Good luck. I always say, smile, grit yourself and try again. :thumbsup: :beans:

You need to do that thing you do with words more often. The forums may become enjoyable at one point.

Edited by Rage VG
  • Like 2

You didn't look in the most obvious place, in other players packs. The second most obvious place would be on zombie corpses.

I didn't kill any other players. Even if I encountered one, I don't like to kill players. And I looked in every zombie corpse.

As far as rummaging around Electro, that is the fastest way for a single player to get killed by a**hats like Bushman who camp the likely spots with their scopes. I went up north through Solinichym, Nizhnoye and Berezino.

In any case I've made my point, those who disagree are free to, those who agree, hopefully we see some changes, those who are a**hats are still a**hats.

if you had picked up the empty tin cans and moved them elsewhere, new items would have spawned, possibly including some tins of food!

That only happens if you leave the area, move 200 yards away and come back. Which is what I tried in a high value residential area, and I got more of the same, ie. no food.

• Like 1

If you were extremely hungry, then a single can of sardines wouldn't satisfy your hunger for a period of longer than 30 minutes, much less 3 hours, especially if you were active. I.E. Running around Elektrozavodsk looking for more sardines.

Yes, you probably should be able to gut animals using an axe, but for that matter they should be much rarer. Even then, you have to worry about using the same axe that you use to off the heads of the rampaging infected to gather food.

I didn't kill any other players. Even if I encountered one, I don't like to kill players. And I looked in every zombie corpse.

As far as rummaging around Electro, that is the fastest way for a single player to get killed by a**hats like Bushman who camp the likely spots with their scopes. I went up north through Solinichym, Nizhnoye and Berezino.

In any case I've made my point, those who disagree are free to, those who agree, hopefully we see some changes, those who are a**hats are still a**hats.

You had a few choices during your run.You chose to starve,deal with it.

Edited by Bushman

I personally think the current hunger/thirst system is a little easy, Im fine with how it is now but if any changes were to happen i would think it would make it harder..or how everyone else likes to name stuff they want to see in this game "Make it more realistic"

I think the timing for hunger and thirst is fine...You may be able to go without food/water for 5 days but quality/nutrition and physical stuff you do that would make it drop faster aside.I believe the game compensates well for the fact that your not going to play this for 120 hours straight..

Two ideas i got out of this post are

1)Food is more scarces and your hunger level drops over the 4-5 days even when not online

2)food is more abundant in residential places(it dose make sense)..but have more of a punishment for being hungry(at half hunger screen starts to blur/get brighter. and when the icon is flashing makes most light sources blinding or screen shaking)

As the game currently stands its always a good idea to hit supermarkets early on and stock up on food,drink,Knife,matches,map, ALICE pack...i find the last 4 more impotent then any weapon early in the game..

Also playing with a online map helps. I have yet to starve to death before i make it to a supermarket. Also if the supermarket is empty of food(happens to everyone time to time) its great to server hop.

I also always try to have 2 food and drink on me at all times and when food gets 3/4 empty ill make my way to somewhere to get food if i have none.

I feel as it stands now if you need food your best bet is to head to a supermarket(crazy right?) as all the animals seem to be able to smell how hungry you are and run away(unless you dont have a kinfe/matches then there everywere)

And you cant rely on other places to spawn food to save you from starvation..

Its understandable that your upset. Starving to death is one of the most underwhelming ways to die in this game, only matched by breaking your leg on a pebble without morphine. But you will learn like most of us have. most people run with 2 morphines and 2 food/drink to avoid these horrible deaths..

TLDR: Get more food

Edited by DutyOfCare
  • Like 1

I noticed that no one mentioned its post appocalyptic... I imagine it probably wont be all that easy to find food once the zombie appocalypse happens so maybe it is as real as it gets when it comes to scavenging. As far as chopping things up with axes, that would make the game unbalanced because I find an axe in almost every building I enter. So if they were to make it so you could chop up animals with an axe I would like them to make axes more rare than they are now. Just so everything is more balanced. There is also a section where you can post your suggestions on here so why dont you take your complaint there?

Why aren't you complaining that you are able to run indefinitely at a full sprint carrying tires, or that those tire fit every single vehicle in game, or that you can use every single weapon in game like a pro?

Don't be a hypocrite, you can't whinge that one thing in-particular is not "realistic" and not say a word about the rest of the game, take the good with the bad.

• Like 3

Why aren't you complaining that you are able to run indefinitely at a full sprint carrying tires, or that those tire fit every single vehicle in game, or that you can use every single weapon in game like a pro?

Don't be a hypocrite, you can't whinge that one thing in-particular is not "realistic" and not say a word about the rest of the game, take the good with the bad.

Not to mention fitting a tire in your backpack :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I personally think the current hunger/thirst system is a little easy, Im fine with how it is now but if any changes were to happen i would think it would make it harder..or how everyone else likes to name stuff they want to see in this game "Make it more realistic"

I think the timing for hunger and thirst is fine...You may be able to go without food/water for 5 days but quality/nutrition and physical stuff you do that would make it drop faster aside.I believe the game compensates well for the fact that your not going to play this for 120 hours straight..

Two ideas i got out of this post are

1)Food is more scarces and your hunger level drops over the 4-5 days even when not online

2)food is more abundant in residential places(it dose make sense)..but have more of a punishment for being hungry(at half hunger screen starts to blur/get brighter. and when the icon is flashing makes most light sources blinding or screen shaking)

As the game currently stands its always a good idea to hit supermarkets early on and stock up on food,drink,Knife,matches,map, ALICE pack...i find the last 4 more impotent then any weapon early in the game..

Also playing with a online map helps. I have yet to starve to death before i make it to a supermarket. Also if the supermarket is empty of food(happens to everyone time to time) its great to server hop.

I also always try to have 2 food and drink on me at all times and when food gets 3/4 empty ill make my way to somewhere to get food if i have none.

I feel as it stands now if you need food your best bet is to head to a supermarket(crazy right?) as all the animals seem to be able to smell how hungry you are and run away(unless you dont have a kinfe/matches then there everywere)

And you cant rely on other places to spawn food to save you from starvation..

Its understandable that your upset. Starving to death is one of the most underwhelming ways to die in this game, only matched by breaking your leg on a pebble without morphine. But you will learn like most of us have. most people run with 2 morphines and 2 food/drink to avoid these horrible deaths..

TLDR: Get more food

I do tend to run with the amount of food and morphine you said but depending on the pack i have i may have more of these items if i have the space.

Jimjam, I am going out now but I will be back later and if you would like to meet up with me on a server, I would be happy to play with you and show you tips on how to get around cities and try to avoid being shot.

I've never killed another player in all the time I've been playing, and I've been shot at plenty but survived. I had an entire team hunting me down in Elektro, shooting at me - including their helicopter and somehow, I still got away. (Though I've had others shoot me in the head or axe me to death.) You win some, you lose some. :thumbsup:

Send me a PM if you would like to meet up on a server. :thumbsup:

Rage, that's kind of you, thank you. Doesn't matter how pretty the song if it isn't heard though, does it? :(

Edited by Sula
  • Like 2

Rage, that's kind of you, thank you. Doesn't matter how pretty the song if it isn't heard though, does it? :(

Yep. Good thing I'm all ears. :]

Not to mention fitting a tire in your backpack :thumbsup:

Amateur. Yesterday I had a fuel tank, a tire, a pile of scrap metal in my backpack, a front windscreen, an smg and an axe elsewhere on my person, as well as various necessities, including an entire toolbox and a handgun. Then I ran for five minutes straight and fixed my totalled car in about 5 seconds.

I have my doubts that "starving to death needs to be COMPLETELY overhauled", I think if starving to death was completely overhauled that would be enough. I feel a COMPLETE overhaul is too much, just a complete overhaul please rocket. Thanks.

Just had the complete nonsense experience of starving to death.

This despite my having a can of sardines less than 3 hours before. Plus a ton of water, plus a ton of Cokes and Pepsis. Pepsis are FULL of freaking calories.

This game needs a complete overhaul as far as food requirements are concerned. Humans can survive for a week or more without food, as long as they have plenty of water.

FIX THIS.

And by the way, I visited a freaking supermarket and found everything but food... :rolleyes:

Food should be all over the place in the residential areas. Oh yeah, and I also ran across a freaking dozen sheep, cows or goats and of course, couldn't kill them and eat them raw...

Calling BULLSH*T

First off, calm down dude. It's a game, games are never perfect, there are to many people to try and please at once, there will always be flaws with it. Attitudes like that don't change dev's minds, they just ignore rants like this. Just mention it as a suggestion, and trust in the dev's will take it into consideration. Making and upkeeping a game isnt easy, with the thousands of line of code, they can't just change thing's on a whim, there are processes that must be gone through to ensure that the simple 2 word change in the thousands of line of text dont fuck up the entire game. Just have some patience, is all im saying. Once it hits the standalone version, they will have a bit more versatility, because as it is, its just a mod. They can't do much with a mod editing wise because otherwise they would fuck everything up if they were to mess with game mechanics. Anyhow, calm down, be patient, and be nice :P

You are talking about starving to death and mentioned sodas. BTW soda will not make you less hungry calories don't work like that...

Also you claimed to do 'Everything right" ....then you would not have died. YOu also said food should spawn everywhere......IT DOES! ALso in a world filled with zombies do you honestly expect to walk into a store and find it filled with food? Dude that would be the first thing people loot. THat is like if in a nuclear war a mouth after the bombs hit you go to the grocery store find no food then try to call the owner so you can complain. FOOD IS FINE! ALso its a aplha.

Edited by harley001

You can butcher and quarter a deer with an axe, but you're going to need something thin and sharp like a knife to gut and skin one.

I have this very bad bambi habit of getting a decent weapon from a deer stand and then being very rubbish at finding food and water.

I can usually find a knife, hatchet and water bottle early on, but matches seem to disappear when I'm around..

I'm starting to suspect that surviving any length of time out in the wilderness is going to require a quick run into a town to get stocked up on basics first rather than heading straight out into the woods.