Jεricho

24/7 Daylight Servers... UGH?

Let's not make it out like people are only modifying the light cycle.

Im well aware of what people modify. Its the nature of the beast, you know that. I share similar frustrations when it comes to manipulating the core but 24/7 daylight is trivial in comparison. Nobody has provided any solid reason as to why it should not stay light other than 'it wasnt designed that way'. IMO in its current form the night system is to easily manipulated. I should not have to use a flashlight or chem lights to see if im running into a tree thats 2 feet in front of me. I also dont buy the 'adjust your gamma' bullshit. I should not have to adjust my graphic settings to compensate for darkness.

Arma Benny warfare Mod had a nice feature allowing fast time. So you could 4 hours of day and then 4 hours of night.

New Namalsk Private Hive

IP: 74.121.191.66

PORT: 2312

Ohh god no please! that would take away a lot of realism.

And yes daytime only servers are stupid, I get what mr nasty is saying, but it's just so immersive to play at night, and during the night is when you get that scary feeling the game supposedly has, during the day, since zombies are so easily lost, it is like a playground to me, I personally would love it if they took NVGs out because it would be even more amazing to play at night, or at least make them have batteries that you would have to charge or something, I only use NVGs when I'm in cities or when I hear bad things around me (players, not zombies) whitout NVGs on you get so immersed in the game, you guys should try it

Edited by IncognitoNico

No one seems to read further into the thread before posting.

Again though, I was asking a question. Not forcing anyone to do anything.

No one seems to read further into the thread before posting.

Again though, I was asking a question. Not forcing anyone to do anything.

I answered your question about why people like 24/7 daylight servers here if that's what you mean. However, it led to further discussion. :)

I have to say I don't feel as though you've made any supporting statements for your view other than "it's the principle of it". You can still play the exact version of the mod you want. It is available on plenty of servers. Why is it so bad people who want something a little different can also have what they want too?

Honestly, in this case, I feel it's bad because people want to make DayZ easier. Which undermines the whole idea behind it.

Show me one example of someone making dayz more difficult by modifying their server.(Different maps don't exactly count)

Im well aware of what people modify. Its the nature of the beast, you know that. I share similar frustrations when it comes to manipulating the core but 24/7 daylight is trivial in comparison. Nobody has provided any solid reason as to why it should not stay light other than 'it wasnt designed that way'. IMO in its current form the night system is to easily manipulated. I should not have to use a flashlight or chem lights to see if im running into a tree thats 2 feet in front of me. I also dont buy the 'adjust your gamma' bullshit. I should not have to adjust my graphic settings to compensate for darkness.

I'm just saying if you can't see a tree in front of you, either it's just a really dark (time of) night. Or your settings aren't correct. When I join a night time server, I bump up the gamma from 1.0 to 1.2 sometimes 1.3. I can play just fine during the day at that setting, but I prefer it a bit darker for the sake of my eyes.

If you're at the airfield/somewhere where it is a common place for good loot and you plan to stick around and loot, but you have knowledge that there is one or more players stalking you with NVGs...throw flares. Everywhere. It will make NVGs completely useless, I can guarantee you that.

Honestly, in this case, I feel it's bad because people want to make DayZ easier. Which undermines the whole idea behind it.

Show me one example of someone making dayz more difficult by modifying their server.(Different maps don't exactly count)

I'm just saying if you can't see a tree in front of you, either it's just a really dark (time of) night. Or your settings aren't correct. When I join a night time server, I bump up the gamma from 1.0 to 1.2 sometimes 1.3. I can play just fine during the day at that setting, but I prefer it a bit darker for the sake of my eyes.

Who cares what you do? The real issue with your posting is that you wish to deny people the ability to do something they want. Public hive settings will likely be locked. Private hives can do whatever they want. Why take that away? Are you really the kind of person who garners enjoyment simply by denying things to others that they enjoy?

Edited by Audemed

Who cares what you do? The real issue with your posting is that you wish to deny people the ability to do something they want. Public hive settings will likely be locked. Private hives can do whatever they want. Why take that away? Are you really the kind of person who garners enjoyment simply by denying things to others that they enjoy?

Maybe the people discussing nights being black will care what settings I use? I don't know. Probably not. I was just making a point that I don't crank up the gamma all the way in order to see outlines. In fact cranking up the gamma all the way is almost as good as night vision.

I don't exactly want to 'take away' the private hives ability to modify the game. I think it's a trend that should not continue in the standalone. I think it was the wrong direction for rocket to go in the mod for many reasons. Can you not see the negatives in letting people modify a 'game' that's this early in development? Especially a game with such a controversial difficulty to it?

If DayZ was done development and had a retail version out, I would totoally support private hives. But, to take a game in another direction this early in the games life isn't going to end well for either the game or the players.

I'm pretty surprised by the outrage here when I even suggest that DayZ be locked down. 90% of games on the market have 0 mod'ability, and few people complain about that. But, take away a feature provided by a good developer and people will flip out.

Edited by bad_mojo

Doesnt mean a damn thing when everyone has nvg's.

Real G's don't need NVG's either...lol

I love playing at night as much as I do during the day, and I absolutely abhor servers that limit time to either spectrum. Yeah, it's hard. It's supposed to be, it's the part of survival you should dread. And honestly, the challenges you face at day are just as bad, if not worse than those you face at night. They're just different.

At day, you're clearly visible to anyone and everyone with any sense, and zombies will aggro onto you much more frequently, making travel more obtuse. Looting and fighting are easier, but also more likely to get you killed in the daylight. At night, you need some source of light generation or amplification to do the same things you do during the day with as much ease, but these things work two-fold. Do you wear a bright green chemlight to help you loot, which paints a target for potentially unfriendly players? Do you stumble around in the near-blindness, completely stealthy but unable to see? Night time brings out the many novel uses of lighting in DayZ, as wonky as ARMA's light engine is. When lighting is absent save for what the players generate, it brings an entirely new layer of gameplay to the fore.

For instance, even things that people never consider normally become critical at night. A lot of players are ignorant of the different uses of different chemlight colors. A green chemlight gives off a ton of light, a blue less, and a red barely any. For that reason, you'll often see squads of people carry red chemlights at night merely to identify friend from foe, as the lights are so faint that noone farther than a hundred meters or so will see them. Likewise, flares have many uses besides mere illumination. They can be used to blind enemies, highlight them, and mislead them. A good tactic is to toss a flare behind you in a firefight, as the people you're facing will be fully illuminated by the flare whilst to them you appear as shadows within a blindingly bright glare within the black of night, and even when their eyes adjust you'll still be backlit and harder to spot than the front-lit enemies.

Cold is another deadly enemy at night, particularly on Namalsk. I've even seen it bring people together, such as one time when I saw a fire burning in a forest on Namalsk and cautiously approached it to find three people sitting around it. After watching them for awhile, I approached when they were most vulnerable and stated that I was friendly. Several other people found the camp later on, and most of them joined us at that fire. It was a unique event within the KOSfest that DayZ has become. Zombies are both a bigger and a lesser issue at night. Bigger in that they can often surprise you, and you can get into very nasty situations because of that. On the other hand, they're easier to lose and easier to avoid when you see them.

TL;DR

If you don't play at night for some reason, you're missing out on several entire spectrums of the DayZ experience. Lighting and temperature are far more important than you likely realise, and other key differences from daytime make night time a unique and engaging challenge. Quit worrying that everyone else has NVGs, so what if they do. That just means you can take them from them, if you want. They're not infallible by any means.

• Like 1