#1 figge

figge

Scavenger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:20 PM

Hello all.
This is my suggestion and a concept of a death screen. It would be nice to know how you died, by whom and how long you lived. My idea was to have a lot of variables in some flowing text, since DayZ is about you, creating your own story, and the story can end i two ways: 1. You die. 2. You stop playing.

I read some ideas of incorporating somekind of name system, so Unknown would be changed to "Billy Bob" if the character had interacted with him (Maybe got killed after giving some blood etc.).

So, what you think?
Posted Image
  • Dallas, indian_crowe, Gordon Axeman and 14 others gave their beans

#2 morgan32

morgan32

Bean King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1044 posts
  • LocationNorway, HurrDurr

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:25 PM

I like having information on the death screen, but it shouldn't show exactly what you got killed by and such.
  • indian_crowe and SheriffHD gave their beans

#3 Chabowski

Chabowski

Neeps & Tatties

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2775 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:47 PM

I can see why some would like this sort of thing, but I don't believe it suits DayZ.
It's not your story if you have it told to you.

The blood count of the guy who shot you seems particularly out of place. Even next to all information about the life of this "unknown" bandit.
You don't know his name, but you know pretty much everything he got up to for the last 2 weeks.

Too much information regarding your own death and who killed you would only serve to make DayZ feel more arcadey, it wouldn't have the same impact as the blunt "YOU ARE DEAD" screen.
  • James Ashwood gave their beans

I don't like warriors. Too narrow-minded, no subtlety. And worse, they fight for hopeless causes.
Honour? Huh! Honour's killed millions of people, it hasn't saved a single one.

#4 Highspiral

Highspiral

Survivor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationNot borrowing from your tent. really.

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:20 PM

I like everything about it.

The blood count of the killer is particularly interesting, because I'd like to know whether those last few shots I took connected, and if before my own demise I'd mortally wounded him.

As one of those who survive for weeks or more at a time, I'd like to read something about my accomplishments in that life I just lost. It would give me something as a benchmark to try and surpass.

I'm sure the bandit types would rather you just saw "You are dead" as it is - they probably revel in the thought of you receiving that cold impersonal message.

(hmm... can bandits "revel", or can they only "engage in depraved debauchery" ?
I'm convinced that "Namalsk" is a Russian word that means "Shot in the back repeatedly by an AKM"

#5 Chabowski

Chabowski

Neeps & Tatties

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2775 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:36 PM

I'm sure the bandit types would rather you just saw "You are dead" as it is - they probably revel in the thought of you receiving that cold impersonal message.

I play as a hero, and would rather see new content lead DayZ away from the deathmatching mess it has become recently.
This "story" screen would not suit a survival scenario if it's main focus is to tell you all about who killed you and how.
Yes, an indication of your achievements for your last life would give people something to improve upon, but this seems geared entirely towards PvP, which should be avoided.

I'm sure you think it's wonderful, and it's just what DayZ needs. Luckily, so far, it seems Rocket knows better.
  • James Ashwood gave their beans

I don't like warriors. Too narrow-minded, no subtlety. And worse, they fight for hopeless causes.
Honour? Huh! Honour's killed millions of people, it hasn't saved a single one.

#6 figge

figge

Scavenger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:36 PM

Well, it's a suggestion so both "I don't like" and "I like this but not" and "Awesome" is welcome :)

#7 BwobBwub

BwobBwub

Pretty Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1559 posts
  • LocationCoventry, Concrete Jungle

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:38 PM

thats good, my only criticism is it shows too much info on how you died
  • KTL SHiNE gave their beans

Check out Game Hunters, yo
http://www.gamehunte...ndex.php?/index

b_350_20_323957_202743_F19A15_111111.png

#8 Regicide

Regicide

Survivor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:45 PM

I support this. However, little to no info on the bandit that killed you should show up. it should be nothing more than "You Were Killed by a Bandit" or "You Were Killed by a Zombie" or "You Were Killed by A Door" :P
Gamer ID: Same as forums
Friend or Foe: Friendly if it suits my best interests. If I get the drop on you though, you're as good as dead. I never back stab.
--VP of the C.S.A--

#9 figge

figge

Scavenger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:46 PM

From reddit (http://www.reddit.co...w_death_screen/):

SuperSarcasticZombie 1 minute ago sen

I really liked the range info. That will pretty much tell us if a friend shot us for lolz or on accident. This could go a long way in building trust, and paranoia.
We wouldn't want this information to show up too quickly though as anyone using a third party voice chat could relay it back to their team. Maybe the info could slowly populate after a few minutes or so for those patient enough.

This seems like a nice idea. Some info at the time, I mean, if you spawn and get killed instantly when unarmed most of this info is pretty useless, but if you have been killed after days, weeks or even months of survival this can be a sweet addition, so maybe a 2-3 minute timer on most of the info?

Edited by figge, 30 October 2012 - 10:48 PM.

#10 indominator

indominator

Survivor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNear north pole, all zombies freeze

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:14 PM

Maybe, have you played some rogue like rpgs, the diablo one is nice and that 2d zombie one is awesome, in the end they dont give you much information but they give you something of a score, this could be good for making people proud and the computer could keep track to all the previous lives of the player, i dont see much downside to it, just that it shouldnt reveal much about the enemy or give many detailed informations about your life. I dont know, this should be balanced out but as i have read somewhere the hive keeps track of all information
So, they free, finally..... man greece is having political turmoil, i wanted the syriza to win, not the conservatives... man europe is conservative....

#11 TheEstonianDude

TheEstonianDude

Helicopter Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationThe Batcave™

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:01 AM

Im gonna give you my beans just because you bothered to go to photoshop and make an example of the death screen you had in mind :D
  • figge, RVizzle and Rastamaus gave their beans
I am wit dem furs

#12 xX_frost-wolf_Xx

xX_frost-wolf_Xx

Survivor

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:09 AM

I like it but make both sides be happy.

Show the YOU ARE DEAD screen for 60 seconds then shot the info and acheivements.

it wont allow for quick voip info, you still get the punctual feeling from YOU ARE DEAD it has people you helped and killed and zombies you murdered.

I really really like it
Anyone can kill, but it takes a real man to be the one to lower the weapon first.

#13 captainwaffles

captainwaffles

Survivor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:29 AM

To much info im fine with you are dead
If you want to penalize someone for shooting at you, return fire. Don't run crying to the designer and ask him to fight your battles for you. Man up and get it done.

#14 morgan32

morgan32

Bean King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1044 posts
  • LocationNorway, HurrDurr

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:11 AM

I´d like to see amount of zombies killed, survivors, bandits, humanity (those basic things), a list of weapons I´ve used that life, maybe a dropdown box for that. Maybe even how many bullets fired, or just those basic things that YOUR character would know.

As for who killed you, how you died, so on and forth, when you find a body you can do "Study Body", but right now it´s useless, I´d like to see that show info like size of bullet, direction of the killer (from blood splatter), if he had diseases, information like that. Just, it shouldn´t show weapon you got killed of, because nobody can look at a dead person and know that he was killed by an M4 CCO, because the CCO use the same bullets as the regular M4, both m1911 and Revolver use .45, etc.

#15 Mos1ey

Mos1ey

You Only Lift Once

• DayZ Forum Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6267 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:26 AM

I like it. Like other people have said it gives too much info on your killer and it's a bit too PvP focused but I'd be happy to see a polished version of this in the game.

All your beans are belong to us!

#16 Dallas

Dallas

Tier 2 Cheerleader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4564 posts
  • LocationPost-chernarus

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:30 AM

Agree I like it a lot, but it shouldn't grant you any information about you killer, you can ghost/relay to your team mates.

I also love the graphical layout, since the old goth death screen has outlived it's purpose.

It's Better to Have a Can of Sardines and Not Need It, Than to Need a Can of Sardines and Not Have It.

#17 Riem

Riem

Survivor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationOver there.

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:40 AM

Just imagine the Heavy saying 'Not big surprise' every time you die.

Maybe even put his face in the corner.
Witty stuff normally here.

#18 James Ashwood

James Ashwood

Bean King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:55 AM

I actually like the 'You are Dead' screen and how simple it is. The one suggested certainly gives away too much info on the killer.

Edited by James Ashwood, 31 October 2012 - 09:55 AM.

• indominator and Sturgeon gave their beans
The interwebs. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

#19 Gordon Axeman

Gordon Axeman

Survivor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:08 AM

Too much info about help and kills. Weapon, hits and the enemy will be enough.
Kpekep2 in the past
Namalsk survival guide

#20 trichome

trichome

Survivor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:17 AM

I'm one of those who actually like the "You are Dead" screen. I was so glad to NOT see any stats at the end of my life. I know how I lived it and don't need useless stats filling up my screen and giving all the little kiddies something to enlarge their e-peens.

Take away all the text and just leave the pics with "You are Dead" I could live with that!
  • Sturgeon gave their beans
iOGC DayZ Private Namalsk extra Vehicles, View how many survivor,bandit & zombie kills @, www.iogc.co.uk/stats/namalsk, Dayz Anti-hax,BEC
iOGC DayZ Private Lingor extra Vehicles, NO weapons removed, Dayz Anti-hax, BEC