rocket

Pending Update: Build 1.7.3 (community edition)

No, because until you get to the "Set-up Complete" screen you are not loaded into the server totally, also it would not be classed as combat logging because you need to be in "combat" first so you would need to be shot at first for the "combat" function to be triggered on your client.

Not true. You get sent back to the fucking beach if you alt f4 while the loading screen shows. Nothing to do with Setup complete window.

I dont really care if someone alt +F4. More anoying are hackers or people who ghost behind you, but i solved this playing on private servers with whitelisting...

I would suggest if player has aggro and log out, he doesnt die, but stay in game for few more minutes, even if he is already offline.

So if you quit with aggro and you dont know it, you will not die and lose all. (if you log off in safe position)

Keep up the good work and i cant wait for DayZ standalone.

Not true. You get sent back to the fucking beach if you alt f4 while the loading screen shows. Nothing to do with Setup complete window.

Well then you haven't loaded in totally have you as you are only half-way through the process... My understanding was that the game loads you into debug plains first, then moves you to your position when the loading is complete. If you disconnect while loading then the next time you join, it sees your location as debug plains and moves you back to the beach so you aren't stuck in the middle of nowhere. Either way you aren't going to be in combat so it doesn't matter.

Edited by smasht_AU
  • Like 1

I agree with you,

You'd of thought that they looked at a number of different solutions to this problem, so they must of decided this was the best way, i just cant see how its better than a timer, maybe someone with the actual reason could elaborate why they chose this way over other solutions...

[...]

I would suggest if player has aggro and log out, he doesnt die, but stay in game for few more minutes, even if he is already offline.

So if you quit with aggro and you dont know it, you will not die and lose all. (if you log off in safe position)

Keep up the good work and i cant wait for DayZ standalone.

• Keeping the bodies of disconnected players in the game for 10 seconds was attempted in a previous patch and resulted in item duping.
  • The pending update won't kill you (read more than the first post before posting).
  • Even if the pending update would kill you for combat logging, it wouldn't happen accidentally, since the abort button would be disabled and you would see an icon and a timer.

• Like 2

Is there another forum where we can see what the developers are doing, having problems with etc? I heard talk of trouble with vehicles..

There should be a stream on the developers.. on twitch. If a viewer sees an error, it can save at least 5 minutes per error.

Can I somehow sort this thread for only rocket's/admin's/important people's posts? I really hate to go through 356 posts to find out stuff.. :(

• Like 1

[...]

It is a one sided action that involves one, two, or more parties, there is no required agreement or acceptance needed to establish a combat situation; the only requirement is the existence of a hostile action. So it doesn't matter if you don't like or don't want to be in combat, if a weapon is being fired you are effectively in combat.

Combat ends when there is no hostile activity for 30 seconds.

· If you keep shooting, you'll stay in combat

· if you keep being shot at, you'll stay in combat.

· If you run away far enough the timer will go down and you'll stop being in combat.

· If you kill your enemies and stop shooting for 30 seconds, you'll stop being in combat.

· If you both agree to stop shooting for 30 seconds, you'll stop being in combat.

[...]

For people claiming to be trolled from afar and such, is the same situation, you are being fired upon, you ARE in combat, it doesn't matter if you can't retaliate, you are in a hostile situation and that what combat is.

[...]

That's the problem. What do you do when a hacker tries to kill you or is just trolling you so you can't log out? What do you do when someone is just trolling you by firing at you though he won't hit you, because you're in a building. For example in a church and the troll won't try to look in the church, because he dosen't want to kill you and just keeps shooting the wall?

about this new combat system : we have already checked this thing out on redux server with my mate who has some issues with his game (he is loosing connection for no reason randomly.His connection is stable but he keeps getting "player X is loosing connection.Player X was kicked (battleeye client not responding)").So if he was in fight even with zombies hes getting killed instantly. GG

How is he getting killed if the death on combat log is not implemented, neither here or in Redux?

Edited by Miltrivd
  • Like 1

That's the problem. What do you do when a hacker tries to kill you or is just trolling you so you can't log out? What do you do when someone is just trolling you by firing at you though he won't hit you, because you're in a building. For example in a church and the troll won't try to look in the church, because he dosen't want to kill you and just keeps shooting the wall?

Gaming mechanics are made for players, not for hackers. You can't be changing game mechanics for things that are not meant to happen in the first place. Security measures have to be improved and tweaked, not gameplay to adapt to anti-hacking measures.

If the troll is firing, you are in combat. If someone shoots outside your house, even if it's not at you, or just firing into the air would you go outside? No, it's a hostile situation, YOU ARE IN COMBAT. If the troll is your friend and he doesn't stop for 10-30 minutes, get a real friend.

Edited by Miltrivd
  • Like 3

I think it is not effective. Need a new anti-cheat.

The problem is that the people who have produced anti cheat functions, then release them into the community which in turn makes them common and people just work around them.

On a specfic forum they create scripts to work around anti hax and gotcha especially for private servers.

We have a anti cheat function on our server and all i will say is it looks at what the hacker isn't doing... and we have caught many so far.

1. If anyone fires a gun or uses a hatchet in the vicinity you are marked as in combat. Then a new icon starts flashing and you got a countdown timer starting at 30 seconds. It will refresh if another shot is fired. This means you can't log out normally and ALT+F4 is neutralized.

Two questions:

vicinity - how much is this - 5,10, 20, or 50 meters radius?

Does the radius depend on weapon we use - for example - hatchet vs silenced m4a1 vs loud m14?

Thanks.

ps. sorry for my bad english

Edited by TripodFish
  • Like 2

oh my god... did he release it? holy shit, i am going back to dayz when i get home!

Gaming mechanics are made for players, not for hackers. You can't be changing game mechanics for things that are not meant to happen in the first place. Security measures have to be improved and tweaked, not gameplay to adapt to anti-hacking measures.

If the troll is firing, you are in combat. If someone shoots outside your house, even if it's not at you, or just firing into the air would you go outside? No, it's a hostile situation, YOU ARE IN COMBAT. If the troll is your friend and he doesn't stop for 10-30 minutes, get a real friend.

at the end of the day its still a game and some people cant physically stay on dayz forever just to make sure that s/he can log off the server in safety. i know what you are saying and i understand the mentality of it, im kind of in agreeance with you and love the hardcore side of it but i can see it from the other side too.

im sure there is a solution to the issue, its just down to some clever bright spark to come up with something.

i understand the issues regarding a timer now so would it be possible to add in a ban feature if you did it too many times, for example something like..

everytime you combat log you are banned from that server for 1 hour, if you then combat log again you are banned for 2 hours.. and this just keeps adding up..

i know combat logging is annoying and lets face it thats all it is, just an annoyance.. your angry over it because you wanted that gear that the person had but rather than implement something that could potentially cause grief to players why not add something that causes grief to the combat loggers. ?

you said yourself, the game is made for the players NOT the hackers so lets punish them rather than us., :)

Edited by ChrisR
  • Like 1

Two questions:

vicinity - how much is this - 5,10, 20, or 50 meters radius?

Does the radius depend on weapon we use - for example - hatchet vs silenced m4a1 vs loud m14?

Thanks.

ps. sorry for my bad english

This are honestly good questions (that I cannot answer). The people that worked in the code should be able to give you a detailed answer. Dunno if they are gonna disclose all the workings or will let people figure stuff out.

I can only answer from experience. If some fires AT you (that's it, if a bullet lands near you), you get in combat. In Redux I've been fired upon from what I thought was 200-250 m. and I was put into combat as soon as I heard the first shot. In other fights a friend was fired upon, he was about 50 m. away from me and his attacker was about 150 m. from him, so around 150 - 200 m. around you at the very least.

It would be nice to know how it works with silenced weapons when you are not the target of the bullets, since it could work to actually tell you that someone is attacking you.

[...]

Can I somehow sort this thread for only rocket's/admin's/important people's posts? I really hate to go through 356 posts to find out stuff.. :(

Not exactly, you can go to the user page of an "important person" and click "Find content" to see his posts though.

oh my god... did he release it? holy shit, i am going back to dayz when i get home!

The topic title mentions it's a pending update.

Oh, its a "pending" update. I might aswell try to find a cure for cancer in the meantime.

• Like 1

Why the HELL is everyone complaining about the damn Combat function ? Does no one actually read the thread before posting their ranting comment ?

Rocket Clearly stated that the death feature will NOT be implemented, instead it will get logged and announced to the server that the person combat logged. THERE IS NO DEATH. Not yet, in any case.

Sorry about that...

• Like 3

at the end of the day its still a game and some people cant physically stay on dayz forever just to make sure that s/he can log off the server in safety. i know what you are saying and i understand the mentality of it, im kind of in agreeance with you and love the hardcore side of it but i can see it from the other side too.

im sure there is a solution to the issue, its just down to some clever bright spark to come up with something.

i understand the issues regarding a timer now so would it be possible to add in a ban feature if you did it too many times, for example something like..

everytime you combat log you are banned from that server for 1 hour, if you then combat log again you are banned for 2 hours.. and this just keeps adding up..

i know combat logging is annoying and lets face it thats all it is, just an annoyance.. your angry over it because you wanted that gear that the person had but rather than implement something that could potentially cause grief to players why not add something that causes grief to the combat loggers. ?

you said yourself, the game is made for the players NOT the hackers so lets punish them rather than us., :)

I just don't get what's the problem then. If you are not in combat, you log off. There is no side or extra checks that will stop you, the game is not a PvP Arena and no one is in combat for 2 hours (incessant firing without pauses).

I don't see what possible punishment for the players is involved here. People coming up with the weirdest possible (and not common) scenarios, being timing out the only realistically troublesome one, which in result will only give a combat log global announcement and a log of the disconnection during combat to the server.

If by some chance you are physically unable to stay in the game just when a fight broke out then, as you said, is just a game. Alt+Tab, kill the task, and get logged. DayZ Mod isn't a game where death is rare in the first place.

And is not about anger, is about immersion and game breaking exploits. If I get into a fight, I get hurt and in danger, if I manage to get the advantage and survive, just for the other player to disappear where did all that interaction go, where did all that game time go? Then you start taking ghosting into consideration, or the ammo and supplies that encounter made you spend without any type of closure.

• Like 3

Need a new anti-cheat.

the mod is a cheat itself..its pile of scripts that changed the game,added items on the floor.vehicles ai and all other stuff..there is nothink devs can deal with scripters untill standalone

Will the "Community edition" to create their own anti-cheat? On the similarity of "Gotha: anti-hacks"?

BattlEye is already there, and it's very effective. You can also use Gotcha anti-cheat

true but my friend is not the only one with this issue.i wouldnt put this system on till ppl sort this thing out.

you can not sort this out.

even if there was a way to recognize if people loose their connection,

then people could just pull the connection to their router to force combat log and problem would persist.

what i would advice is the following solution, if it is possible:

if one leaves the game without a proper logout, he doesn't die, but gets a knock out and remains ingame as a killable object for 3 minutes.

if its possible to leave the dead body ingame to loot, could also trigger a kill on that player if bullets penetrate the body.

if that player logs back in, he remains unconscious until the timer has passed. pretty much what we already have right now, just better.

this will help if you randomly loose connection, but wont allow people to glitch out of tough situations, and other players will still get their kill if

you intentional or unintentional leave the game.

so obviously, if you loose internet connection often, dayz is unfortunatly not gonna work that well for you, too bad!

still, its obviously the lesser evil. get a better connection, suck it up or give me your stuff before you ragequit.