DZR_Mikhail

Huge concept with different side features: Every action leaves a trail. Players heavy influence on the world and the consequences

How do you like the features?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like the features?

• Bullshit. Hope it never gets into DayZ standalone
    • Can't decide
    • A lot of them must be considered, but some are doubtful
    • I like it
    • This all would make DayZ the best game ever

hi,

By the way the idea of spawning with clean clothes and get dirtier the longer you survive is great. I wonder if there could be some mechanic that can visually show if a player has played for a long time overall or is a complete beginner as well? Beards? I don't know. :)

it is allready planned. ;)

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/77492-dayz-concept-art/

cya.

Nikiller.

1) 2) I think rocket is very busy with standalone. Or may be he saw it and went away with some thoughts. I don't expect him answering here. I just hope it reaches him. Though seeing him actually confirming he has read it will comfort me a lot and will be enough. No need for thorough assesments or quick likes\dislikes. It's a voluntary contribution, I understand it.

2) Thanks again. I think they are present, just keep it silent. And once again, these days they're crunching on the SA release, so I don't want to distract them, but can't keep such ideas to myself when I feel they can really improve something or inspire others.

While I understand what you say, all the effort you made creating your threads can't go to "waste". They need to see them sooner or later since this is not just random ideas, it's a well organized conglomeration of details that could make a huge difference in the feeling of the game. The type of stuff that most people don't think about right away, all in one place.

I voted 'This would make DayZ the best game ever because':

- It would make it even awesomer, disregarding the fact that personally I find DayZ to be the best game ever already

- It's generally a really good idea.

However, as previously mentioned, I too can't see any way of it happening. It'd just generate too much to be processed, unless server's were military-grade, I can't see any being able to hack the amount of data processing it'd require.

Before I even start I would like to add something. If punching ever gets added to the game, can you immagine taking down a wolf with your bare hands? The stories you could tell! Even more if your player gets some permanent face scars from the battle to show off your badassity and scare off the fresh spawns.

Now, I just have to say that halfway down your page I kept forming so much positive feedback that I had to open Word and start writing it all down. All of your ideas are great, fresh looks at how a game can be played, and I absolutely love the idea of DayZ going down a path where landscape, clothes, and facial hair provides information that the player can use to advantage. If this was included in the game it would expand on two of the most important features of DayZ. 1: survival- you can increase your chances by paying attention and learning real life tracking/survival methods. And 2: Ownership- part of what makes DayZMOD so fun is collecting your gear, and even losing it all when you’re killed. Being able to sort of ‘own’ houses or areas by keeping them clean, and owning a dog(especially if it’s rare) would make every encounter unbearably intense. The idea of other hazards, such as birds (your enemy if you are trying to sneak) is great, even if they don’t have models in the game, the sound effect would do (pretty easily implemented). Sure a lot of this may just be too much for the game to handle, but your core ideas simply cannot be ignored.

More environmental player impression

More survival hazards

More ownership

More custimizition/rewards for your choices

• Like 1

1) If punching ever gets added to the game, can you immagine taking down a wolf with your bare hands? The stories you could tell!

2) Even more if your player gets some permanent face scars from the battle to show off your badassity and scare off the fresh spawns.

3) Now, I just have to say that halfway down your page I kept forming so much positive feedback that I had to open Word and start writing it all down. All of your ideas are great, fresh looks at how a game can be played, and I absolutely love the idea of DayZ going down a path where landscape, clothes, and facial hair provides information that the player can use to advantage. If this was included in the game it would expand on two of the most important features of DayZ. 1: survival- you can increase your chances by paying attention and learning real life tracking/survival methods. And 2: Ownership- part of what makes DayZMOD so fun is collecting your gear, and even losing it all when you’re killed. Being able to sort of ‘own’ houses or areas by keeping them clean, and owning a dog(especially if it’s rare) would make every encounter unbearably intense. The idea of other hazards, such as birds (your enemy if you are trying to sneak) is great, even if they don’t have models in the game, the sound effect would do (pretty easily implemented). Sure a lot of this may just be too much for the game to handle, but your core ideas simply cannot be ignored.

More environmental player impression

More survival hazards

More ownership

More custimizition/rewards for your choices

1) Yes, it was announced and many of us count on this feature very much.

2) Very awesome idea, I hope you don't mind me adding it to my list with link and attribution to you?

3) Thanks. I'm glad you grasped my concept and like it.

1) I made some little additions and fixes.

Additions are tiny, mostly formatting fixes and mistakes corrections...

Also wrote a small warning for those who thinks I'm suggesting every bullet hole or a foot step mus leave a mark and stay forever in database and spam server with gazillions of objects to kill the server. Why people think I;m so stupid to not understand it.

Please, read more attentively. I propose to leave marks and trails after actions, but HOW will they look, this is the subject to discuss. It can be a 2px texture on a single polygon decal which is scaled x20 times larger and look like a pile of garbage... Technical and design decisions are numerous! Look at World of Warcraft! This game geometry is primitive and almost terrible, BUT LOOK WHAT GENIOUS TEXTURES, DECALS AND LIGHTING THEY USE! They found it out and use widely to immenseley improve the performance. And now since the engine is in the hands of dev, they can make any graphic additions. Visual effects can be either in detail of geomety or in detail of a texture and proper lighting... Think about it before saying I'm retarded and think Rocket is a wizard...

2) But one addition to the OP I would like to highlight. The hands state.

Please, don't tell me I must go and play SIMS. Save you breath and tell this directly to Rocket.

It is his idea, but I just expanded and thought about different implementations and side effects.

Wet bloody hands effect

• Your hands leave blood on everything you touch or everyone you carry.
  • Hands look very red with blood, brigt high saturation bloody colour.
  • If blood is not yours and is infected, if you get wounded or eat food - you have the same infection.
  • Items get bloody finger marked
  • Weapons get blood stains too
  • This effect lasts for 10-15 minutes until blood dries out. After this your hands get the next Dry bloody hands effect.
  • This effect is instantly removed if you wash your hands with any liquid (soda, water etc.)

Dry bloody hands effect

• Your hands just look dark red dirty.
  • If blood is not yours and is infected, if you get wounded or eat food - you have the same infection.
  • This effect lasts for 1-2 hours
  • After 1-2 hours your hands get simply very dirty without blood effect.
  • This effect is instantly removed if you wash your hands with any liquid (soda, water etc.)

Dirty hands effect

• If you eat with your dirty hands, you have a good chance of getting a disease.

Edited by -=PA=-Mikhail
  • Like 1

This all sounds absolutely epic, I can imagine the feeling of walking into a house and seeing blood splattered over the walls and floor and then that feeling of paranoia about what is going to happen next.

I'd also become an absolute neat-clean-freak with that dirty and bloody hands thing.

Edited by Simple Epicness
  • Like 1

This all sounds absolutely epic, I can imagine the feeling of walking into a house and seeing blood splattered over the walls and floor and then that feeling of paranoia about what is going to happen next.

I'd also become an absolute neat-clean-freak with that dirty and bloody hands thing.

Thanks!

You may like my perma-identity thingie... I wonder, will you be an always open-faced-freak as well? :)

Edited by -=PA=-Mikhail

Love the idea, bloody bandages or syringes on the ground when you patch up, tin cans when they eat or drink a soda. Could make figuring out other players actions or some light tracking possible. Groups could be easier to follow, I imagine they go through a fair amount of food and drink periodically to leave a trail.

1) Yes, it was announced and many of us count on this feature very much.

2) Very awesome idea, I hope you don't mind me adding it to my list with link and attribution to you?

3) Thanks. I'm glad you grasped my concept and like it.

Go for it. I want to see DayZ grow into the best game it can be. WITH SCARS.

Well this seems to be a good idea provided Rocket mentioned contagious areas in the interviews (for those who don't remember - if people kill a lot or shit a lot in the area you are more likely to catch a desease in there).

For those who think this will stress the harware I can tell you it's not a concern if adressed properly.

-Footprints for example can be processed as beams from point to point and then drawn over terrain on client's machine like trails are drawn in Gmod.

-Decay and garbage can be made into variables assigned to certain zones, so the more people kill eachother and litter the more garbage and gore there will be.

So we'll have all the garbage we want without stressing the servers with hundreds of individual garbage objects.

Всем DayZ, посоны.

I know this thread is pretty old, but I was wondering if you could do a lot of things as a feedback system and only if you used a certain mouse wheel menu. Say you're in a forest and the wheel menu has a choice, look for tracks. You spend x amount of time looking, then the game shows you any tracks that are there and how old they are. After a certain amount of time or after rain, the tracks just disappear. This would make it so only a person actively looking for certain things would ever notice them. After a short time, you would have to spend more time trying to see them. I've hunted most of my life, and until someone showed me what to look for, deer tracks were irrelevant marks in the dirt. This same system could allow you to investigate all sorts of things. What direction a hunter moved towards after slaughtering an animal or even blood on their shoes after looting a body they just killed. If its raining, you could easily follow tire tracks of the vehicle you had stashed that was stolen if you got there soon enough. Not sure what cataloging all of this information would do to a server, but I love the idea and what it could add to the game.

These are very creative concepts, really in depth with realism. What if vehicles had an option so you can actually see the gear inside of it instead of being invisible? It'd make it easier so you can determine how much you can actually load inside a car or a truck and such.

I believe hygiene should be a factor as well because it could prevent diseases and attention from your foul scent after surviving for so long.

Thanks. Despite the suggestion is pretty old, but I still believe it has something to think about. Rocket said recently that leaving an empty can after eating beans impacts performance, but we can really end up havin some LESS obvious sign\object. Just a decal or two with "generic food litter" will do the trick too.

despite some performance issues, parts of OP's ideas could be implemented i guess! hell i love your damn siberian ideas..

• Like 1

I like the ideas of corpse decay in particular, and adding crows instead of or in addition to the sound of flies is a great idea. More ambient wildlife in general would be a nice touch.

Overall I think many of these are good ideas, but implementing them all would really bog down the servers. Personally I don't think DayZ should be made into a happy homemaker simulator, but adding a need/option for some personal hygiene (shaving & bathing especially) could be a nice touch (dirty=increased chance of disease?)

As an avid hunter I would like to have some way to track animals and other players, a skill and list based tracking system like most MMO's have would be right out, but so would a trail of sign being put out every time a player interacts with something, just too much data. But decaying corpses, birds and other animals that sound the alarm when a player is near, decaying campfires, etc. could be viable.

A few points though, cooking a rat would kill off any bacteria or viruses, removing the risk of infection (assuming it was fully cooked.). Also shooting an animal doesn't ruin it's pelt, in fact killing it with a knife or an axe would do far more damage to an animals skin than a bullet hole or two. But I love the idea of being able to craft clothing from animal hides. I would also add deer to the list of animals.

I think thats not necessary.... :) <_<

the dev. should spend their time and working on base building-feature than this... :thumbsup:

Edited by TiMEDANCE

What if vehicles had an option so you can actually see the gear inside of it instead of being invisible? It'd make it easier so you can determine how much you can actually load inside a car or a truck and such.

You know... judging by what I've seen in the testing... Well... You can now see actual items in the trunk of a wrecked car. The actual ones, the models. But these are only wrecks and loot spawn can be a bit aside from the concept of the cargo in vehicles... But... this may be a step to what you just have described.

Edited by -=PA=-Mikhail