Sumrak

DayZ: Namalsk

Thanks for this great map, Sumrak.

But I still think the bloodsuckers are too strong. 20 m16 bullets still don't stop them. This is, and isn't bad. I love them a lot, they have become an undetachable part of the map. They should be tanky (nice word, huh?), but invisible tanks is a bit too much. We must have a way to lower their power. Using ours.

-----

I have a suggestion. In STALKER, if you shoot a bloodsucker, he gets visible for a short period of time. Severe wounds make them constantly/flashing visible (they are commonly visible, but can go invisible for a second). Why not to implement it here? They are not OP, but their invisibility is.

The suggestion is: if you hit a bloodsucker invisible, he gets visible for a second. Also, when he takes a considerable amount of damage (say, enough to kill a human), he gets flash visible (gets invisible for a second every four seconds).

Seriously, why not? At least a lone wolf will now have a chance to kill one of these.

-----

P.S. What is a mutant heart for?

P.P.S. Thanks a lot anyway, Sumrak! I hope you will keep polishing your map and adding up stuff!

Sumrak, you've done a great job on this map. It is a map where survival is hard even for an experienced player, and i love some of the new aspects to the gameplay, such as the bloodsuckers. My only problem with it is that zombies are unaffected by the EVR. For instance, last time i played i was inside object A2, and i was about to shoot a mob of 3 armored zombies. Then I heard a distant explosion and I tried to hurry with getting out my secondary and move out of a corner, but before i could take out more than 1 of them, i fell unconcious. Then they started feeding on me. <.<

Would it be possible to make the EVR affect zombies or at least stun them temporarily? I think it would be awesome if the zombies also had to feel the effects of an EVR, leaving them stunned and unable to do anything like yourself.(Without the protection device, of course)

Edited by Cpt. Viking

That happens whenever there's an input interrupt (unconcious, ejected from a vehicle, whatever). You have to tap the direction you were going before you got hit.

yeah, that's nice. Not in a small room with BS ))

why smart players are rewarded for hitting the Heli Crashes and C130 Wreck and finding an APSI.

i see what u did there.....smart players.... please tell me how a 'smart' player is supposed to just know this? or should forum crawling be a part of the game as well? considering this event affects EVERY player on server, ( 50 player server.... at least 50 APSI will be availible? btw of the 5-6 BS i killed none of them had any APSI ) imagine if there was something out there that took of half your health if you wernt wearing a ghille suit.

i heard no rumbling , and like most people i play with post-process diasbled. I can do without a constantly blurry screen.

might suggest a single bolt of lightening 5 mins prior to warn of incoming EVR. sounds and or screen visuals are not enough apparently as i was playing this lastest version, last night, i heard\saw nothing to give warning. (i use headphones too)

i know this sounds 'weak' but EVR should not affect players who spawned within last 5-15 minutes.

personally i dont think EVR should be able to cause death but i know that wont change

the dev said he doesnt want people to be able to ignore these new events, sure, doesnt mean you have to kill the players to get your point across.

if you arnt going to remove the bloodsuckers invisibilty at least have them bleed when wounded.

btw the bloodsuckers footprints in snow, why do they disappear behind him. only the 'current' position is visible

Edited by drzdeano

Wow guys! Soo much responses, thanks :)

* part 1 *

Great mod of DayZ, but reading another thread the blood suckers could use use a tweak where they only cloak when they get agro on you.

Thanks! Yes, as I said, I will continue to improve these features, right know I am worried about the bloodsucker death bug, which causes him running in straight line cycling forever.

Odd, I haven't seen red eyes when encountering bloodsuckers. I guess those can only be seen during night (gj daytime servers, lol).

I wonder if bloodsuckers could be much tougher mobs but not invisible as those are tricky as hell to spot and kill and they chase you a loooong way now (playing still in 0.72 server). And who said these things die easily? I always have to shoot one clip (30 rounds) with AK to it until it dies (I prefer torso shots - more sure hits). Might be a server lag issue?

I laughed like hell when we first met a horde of bloodsuckers. Our group's strategy - after hearing the first ones roar - was the following. Everyone gathered together, we formed a line guns pointed towards noice and started walking backwards. Then we hoped we can kill the beast in a controlled manner (without killing each others) when it appears. Well, first one appeared almost between us and someone managed to finish it when other ran away in chaos. As effective as 18th century warfare but it's working.

Red eyes are probably visible only at night, through the daylight, you should see them too, but only as some 2 small objects running towards your position.

as the sound is still broken it sounds like they are literally next to you, while actually being like 5 meter off, i hope they can fix the sound issues anytime soon :(

This may be related to the volume of those sounds, because actual sound is played the same way as dayz zombies for example (arma say command). I will check that.

Hi All, hope you had a good xmas.

My thoughts on the new version of Namalsk are it's bloody awesome. Our server has never been busier and we have EVR and 80% chance of bloodsuckers appearing. Our members love it, dayz now acually feels like its hard again and sumrak I and our growing member base thank you for that.

Were on the bliss repo but tbh we don't have kill msgs or messaging enabled (Hardcore setup)so for us it's been business as usual, I've edited the server and mission pbo's myself to add in a few missing bliss packages mainly carepkgs and wrecks and they seem to be working fine.

keep up the good work Sumrak :thumbsup:

Cant wait for the next update B)

Thanks! I'm glad you guys are having fun with these things! ;)

Single Bloodsucker today killed me with M16 with no problems at all. "little stun" results in uncontrollable moves in different directions after it and it becomes impossible to shot the beast.

This is unfortunately Arma bug since long time, I will take a look what could be done with it, because I know it is annoying, you have to double tap that movement key to stop, yeah, well, that sucks in duel with bloodsuckers. :D

you say the EVR is in line with a story , have it player activated from A1, only availible every hour or 2. That way it isnt random. Someone went and secured a base and has to be in that location to use it, allowing said person to be hunted and killed, thereby stopping any further events until someone else tries.

thanks for your time. will not be playing namalsk(previously fav map) until fixed.

Manual control of A1 is done in Namalsk Crisis Warfare mission, where players can control A1 using console in A2 underground, this is something what could be possibly doable in DayZ too (maybe as another server configuration parameter, anyway, it would remove the element of the surprise though).

Anyway, did you noticed, that EVR, bloodsuckers and even loot tables can be now modified by the server owner, so people can choose the server by the configuration, which they like? Many servers have information about this in their names. This is not something what is forced to use, you guys have free hands to disable it in case the player-base does not like it. if you are not server owner, then you can find servers where this does not exists or when you have fav server where it is turned on, convince player-base and admin / server owner why EVR and bloodsuckers are bad.

I completely expected this, so I gave you tools for disabling / enabling this. My task is of course still keep an eye on the feedback and improving these features, they wont be removed though, removing / disabling is up to players / server owners.

The only issue I've had is after dropping two Bloodsuckers, one of them had a context option to take mutant heart, the first time in about 100 BS kills that I've seen the option, but when I opened his inventory there was nothing, additionally the context option to take the heart was gone. This also happened to one of my squadmates, with the additional glitch that after trying to take the heart the Sucker's body took off sliding away from him at full speed. Granted, it was hilarious, but disappointing.

As an afterthought, I was impressed that they can take a barrett shot to the chest now and keep coming, I guess my days of killing them with crossbows are over.

It can happen when server is not fast enough to remove bloodsucker's stuff from him after his death.

Thanks for this great map, Sumrak.

But I still think the bloodsuckers are too strong. 20 m16 bullets still don't stop them. This is, and isn't bad. I love them a lot, they have become an undetachable part of the map. They should be tanky (nice word, huh?), but invisible tanks is a bit too much. We must have a way to lower their power. Using ours.

-----

I have a suggestion. In STALKER, if you shoot a bloodsucker, he gets visible for a short period of time. Severe wounds make them constantly/flashing visible (they are commonly visible, but can go invisible for a second). Why not to implement it here? They are not OP, but their invisibility is.

The suggestion is: if you hit a bloodsucker invisible, he gets visible for a second. Also, when he takes a considerable amount of damage (say, enough to kill a human), he gets flash visible (gets invisible for a second every four seconds).

Seriously, why not? At least a lone wolf will now have a chance to kill one of these.

-----

P.S. What is a mutant heart for?

P.P.S. Thanks a lot anyway, Sumrak! I hope you will keep polishing your map and adding up stuff!

Thanks, I will take a look on the possible solutions to deal with wounded bloodsuckers, I think their cloaking capabilities could be decreased somehow with their damage (as I said ↓, with the visible bleeding) but even flashing cloaking mechanism is doable. I would like to see bloodsuckers even when they are invisible (at least their silhouette or something like that), I was already experimenting with this when I was working on them like 1.5 years ago, so far no success mainly because of the model quality.

The only loot which you should find in bloodsuckers is a blood pack (not sure if anyone found it yet though). Mutant heart is not available in DayZ Namalsk and it is result of bugged and not properly finished bloodsucker control script. (there should be APSI too).

Sumrak, you've done a great job on this map. It is a map where survival is hard even for an experienced player, and i love some of the new aspects to the gameplay, such as the bloodsuckers. My only problem with it is that zombies are unaffected by the EVR. For instance, last time i played i was inside object A2, and i was about to shoot a mob of 3 armored zombies. Then I heard a distant explosion and I tried to hurry with getting out my secondary and move out of a corner, but before i could take out more than 1 of them, i fell unconcious. Then they started feeding on me. <.<

Would it be possible to make the EVR affect zombies or at least stun them temporarily? I think it would be awesome if the zombies also had to feel the effects of an EVR, leaving them stunned and unable to do anything like yourself.(Without the protection device, of course)

Thanks! :) Yes, zombies are unaffected, I will try to look on some solutions for this problem, until now, try to clean your position as possible.

i see what u did there.....smart players.... please tell me how a 'smart' player is supposed to just know this? or should forum crawling be a part of the game as well? considering this event affects EVERY player on server, ( 50 player server.... at least 50 APSI will be availible? btw of the 5-6 BS i killed none of them had any APSI ) imagine if there was something out there that took of half your health if you wernt wearing a ghille suit.

i heard no rumbling , and like most people i play with post-process diasbled. I can do without a constantly blurry screen.

might suggest a single bolt of lightening 5 mins prior to warn of incoming EVR. sounds and or screen visuals are not enough apparently as i was playing this lastest version, last night, i heard\saw nothing to give warning. (i use headphones too)

i know this sounds 'weak' but EVR should not affect players who spawned within last 5-15 minutes.

personally i dont think EVR should be able to cause death but i know that wont change

the dev said he doesnt want people to be able to ignore these new events, sure, doesnt mean you have to kill the players to get your point across.

if you arnt going to remove the bloodsuckers invisibilty at least have them bleed when wounded.

btw the bloodsuckers footprints in snow, why do they disappear behind him. only the 'current' position is visible

You do not have to search for all these thing about that, if you are explorer, you can pretty much get all the things from the gameplay itself.

The sounds, which signalize the EVR beginning (starting from 5 minutes) before EVR itself are very weird compared to the normal ones, so even without post process effects, you just have to hear them + they are every minute and the interval between them is slowly decreasing. I was on some server and when the server sent command for preparation phase start, ppl started talking side chat that EVR is coming, take cover everyone. So, I guess its working as intended?

Lightning is not an option for the preparation phase.

Players, who spawned within last 5 - 15 minutes should be able hold even one EVR hit, this can only be good as any new player will at least test what this event is capable of and he will be able to react on that next time.

Yes, you are right.

I think that's the best way of doing that, fear of death and pretty much loosing your gear will makes players being really careful about what they are doing and what is happening around them. (loosing your character means on Namalsk little compared to Chernarus for example..)

This is nice idea, I guess it could be implemented, I will investigate that and see what are the easiest ways to implement it.

Ask Arma engine on that, the same thing is happening with other unit's footsteps, I wish we could have footprint tracking in Arma :) would be awesome in DayZ, but I guess it could eat some performance though.

• Like 1

i see what u did there.....smart players.... please tell me how a 'smart' player is supposed to just know this?

I knew by reading the patch notes.

considering this event affects EVERY player on server, ( 50 player server.... at least 50 APSI will be availible?

There are a technically infinite amount available seeing as they also spawn in Barracks and at the bunker.

btw of the 5-6 BS i killed none of them had any APSI )

I've killed dozens, never found an APSI on one. You're looking in the wrong places.

imagine if there was something out there that took of half your health if you wernt wearing a ghille suit.

Like the infection you get for running around without warm clothes or a ghilli and heatpacks?

That's your prerogative but don't say it comes out of nowhere, because it sure as hell doesn't.

Manual control of A1 is done in Namalsk Crisis Warfare mission, where players can control A1 using console in A2 underground, this is something what could be possibly doable in DayZ too (maybe as another server configuration parameter, anyway, it would remove the element of the surprise though).

There's one little problem with manual control of EVR events by players: you can trigger it within a couple minutes after spawning. Even with an 1 hour cooldown and someone camping the place all the time, abusing it by low-level players would be imminent.

Alternatively, you can make triggering the event require some item in the inventory. It may not be super rare, but it should spawn somewhere else (in Vorkuta, in the hospital etc), or at least require a gun and surviving a random encounter to obtain (killing some monster or another player, maybe?). In other words, give them something to lose. Also, perhaps triggering EVR from inside A2 and concentrating too much in one place isn't the brightest idea, since there are always some autists camping the ladder 24/7.

...Wait, I have an idea! Make EVR triggerable directly from A1, and make A2 campers vulnerable as if they were on the surface. That way players will have to pay for opportunity to loot A2.

Also, I think that warm clothes and APSI in their current form aren't the brightest ideas either, because once you found both (or just warm clothes in most servers), Namalsk is turning into Chernarus, losing its survival-centric nature.

Also, I think that warm clothes and APSI in their current form aren't the brightest ideas either, because once you found both (or just warm clothes in most servers), Namalsk is turning into Chernarus, losing its survival-centric nature.

You want us to be freezing, thirsty, hungry and poorly equipped all the time, with low blood on top of that with no end in sight?

What part of games are fun don't you understand?

I prefer to play on Namalsk over the good old Chernarus. It has much more PvP action and stuff.

I disagree. Infact, warm clothes should be easier to find. It's freakin ridiculous that you need to use a heatpack every minute and warm clothes spawn once a month! I mean, it's not even realistic. In real life, army bases would have stashes of warm clothes since they are living on a cold Island!

I disagree. Infact, warm clothes should be easier to find. It's freakin ridiculous that you need to use a heatpack every minute and warm clothes spawn once a month! I mean, it's not even realistic.

It's not realistic to have invisible monsters, handheld railguns and psychoactive events on a distant Pacific island either. It's not realistic to eat and drink every hour, it's not realistic to have to fuel your car every 10 miles, what's up with all this realism crap? Namalsk (and DayZ in general) is all about hardcore survival, and it's not exactly logical to break it with top-level gear. The need to keep your hands steady nicely spices up ARMA's shooting part, especially for those boring and predictable sniping sessions. I love Namalsk for this priceless discovery. Having to pay something for using the top gear would be nice, in my opinion.

I understand you indeed, but with all due respect maybe Chernarus would be better for you if you don't like the Namask body temperature system that much.

Edited by KizUrazgubi

It's not realistic to have invisible monsters, handheld railguns and psychoactive events on a distant Pacific island either. It's not realistic to eat and drink every hour, it's not realistic to have to fuel your car every 10 miles, what's up with all this realism crap? Namalsk (and DayZ in general) is all about hardcore survival, and it's not exactly logical to break it with top-level gear. The need to keep your hands steady nicely spices up ARMA's shooting part, especially for those boring and predictable sniping sessions. I love Namalsk for this priceless discovery. Having to pay something for using the top gear would be nice, in my opinion.

I understand you indeed, but with all due respect maybe Chernarus would be better for you if you don't like the Namask body temperature system that much.

To be fair, there are only like two private servers that advertise all three options as active, and they're both German.

Which brings up an interesting point, you can say Namalsk is hardcore survival, but the vast majority of the servers are "24 hour daylight 140 vehicles fully repaired Custom Buildings Custom Loadout No EVR No BS No ER7 No Snipers," which just makes the map sufficiently casual you should just go play Taviana or Utes.

Edited by sp86

Which brings up an interesting point, you can say Namalsk is hardcore survival, but the vast majority of the servers are "24 hour daylight 140 vehicles fully repaired Custom Buildings Custom Loadout No EVR No BS No ER7 No Snipers," which just makes the map sufficiently casual you should just go play Taviana or Utes.

Yep, exactly, and this is quite sad (for me, at least). I just hope there will be no options for the lazy in DayZ SA.

Edited by KizUrazgubi

Yep, exactly, and this is quite sad (for me, at least). I just hope there will be no options for the lazy in DayZ SA.

don't we all share the same dream...a nice and cosy base somewhere on Taviana...low zombie spawns...friendly players only and a fully equipped medic team around every corner...maybe...some little ponies to play with...

Looking at the removed sniper rifles in the nosniper config loot, i see the CZ550 isn't there (not listed in the removed rifles..) ... is this intentional or? And why?

To be fair, there are only like two private servers that advertise all three options as active, and they're both German.

I disagree ,our server has everything namlask throws at you and its never been busier. Players are not complaining like this lot here at all, there having a blast on Namalsk. As I've said before all you get around here is whiners and admins.

Just ignore this lot. You want hardcore namalsk then come to our server, expert settings with everything Namalsk can throw at you, whiner and care bear free zone :thumbsup:

p.s for those stats aficionados out there were tracking your survivor,bandit and zombies kills on our website link below.

Edited by trichome
  • Like 1

Reason EVR lessens Namalsk:

I just signed into a Namalsk server, I had no idea when the next EVR was, so I had to sit in a building for 43 minutes waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting.

I should be playing, not waiting around !

Solution:

If a player owns a WATCH then the time to the next countdown could be displayed via onscreen timer. It would make the watch a desirable item at least, not the useless thing it is now.

Or scrap the thing completely - because it ruins the map.

Why can't you unblock the 2 railways tunnels ? Taviana has a metro railway tunnel that you can run through, so it is possible. A player who shelters in either of the Namalsk tunnels could be completely immune to the effects of EVR.

Edited by vecuccio

I don't think Namalsk is turning into Chernarus, sure, you have some possible "end game" things, which you eventually need to survive Namalsk for a long period, but the overall size of Namalsk and the way loot type is seeded on Namalsk (food, medical supplies..), will place you into great danger (unless you are on server with 0 other players and running all the time from everything what moves). And also, having warm clothes or APSI does not gives you some ultimate armor to protect you from everything, you are not the king of the hill, one day, you will met random dude with AKS and...

Looking at the removed sniper rifles in the nosniper config loot, i see the CZ550 isn't there (not listed in the removed rifles..) ... is this intentional or? And why?

This is not intentional, I forgot to remove it :rolleyes: Will do it in next update. Thanks for the reminder!

Reason EVR lessens Namalsk:

I just signed into a Namalsk server, I had no idea when the next EVR was, so I had to sit in a building for 43 minutes waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting.

I should be playing, not waiting around !

Solution:

If a player owns a WATCH then the time to the next countdown could be displayed via onscreen timer. It would make the watch a desirable item at least, not the useless thing it is now.

Or scrap the thing completely - because it ruins the map.

Why can't you unblock the 2 railways tunnels ? Taviana has a metro railway tunnel that you can run through, so it is possible. A player who shelters in either of the Namalsk tunnels could be completely immune to the effects of EVR.

Why you should wait 43 minutes? :D everyone can freely move, the only thing you need to keep in mind is to listen / watch what is happening, once you notice something is weird, just find the building, you have 5 minutes and 30 seconds (on bugged slower servers even more..). Simply look for cover when the preparation phase of EVR will start. If you are really worried, your maximum waiting time will be ~5 minutes, definitely not 43 minutes..

Have you ever thought of adding "radiation" elements from the STALKER series to DayZ? And if so, what are the chances of it happening at some point?

Or how about other dangers like the elemental dangers (i forget the name) in the form of invisible/visible balls of energy but with different effects (ala STALKER)?

Have you ever thought of adding "radiation" elements from the STALKER series to DayZ? And if so, what are the chances of it happening at some point?

Or how about other dangers like the elemental dangers (i forget the name) in the form of invisible/visible balls of energy but with different effects (ala STALKER)?

There are Rad effects built into ARMA II, they would be easy enough to implement to create hotspots or corridors.

• Like 1

What books do you read again and again? I know some people only read books one time, but for the others, I'd like to know what brings you back again. I'm sorry if this question has been posted before.

That's pretty cool, I never knew that.

Stick around after a hacker sets a nuke off. It's unpleasant.